• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English budgie

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
That one looks like Blizzard! (although she has always been a bit fluffier than that, I think she has more English budgie in her than Kiwi)
1st generation rather than second generation maybe? (If that's how birds work?)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
See, expensive America.

Reason 2 I would never move! Birdies are cheaper here!
I encourage more expensive birds. I don´t believe they should be so cheap. When a human invests little to no money, they usually are not fully invested and likely will not invest in medical care.
How many times do we hear kids here saying their parents won´t allow a vet visit because it costs more than the ¨value¨ of the bird. And I would bet my last banana that there are more people that own birds that have that mentality,
If those birds cost more initially, they would hopefully have found a home with someone who will treat the bird right, and invest money when needed.

I had this battle in my head the other year with Blue. I had homes lined up for two pairs of birds, the second home backed out while the birds were just days old. The youngest ended up growing slowly, so I decided to find bird 3 a home on her own. I listed that bird so many times and kept switching my phone off then deleting the posts. I listed her for a whopping 20 euros (3 times what they normally cost). It´s too easy for someone to buy a 20 buck bird on a whim then not care for it, and these are parrots that should live long lives. I ended up gifting the bird to my neighbours friend, which I was much happier about.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I do agree, but so many birds are over priced in America. I would pay about 120 for a parrotlet if I knew it was a healthy bird. I think certain birds here are too cheap however. Finches for a fiver and cheap 10 quid cages on Ebay or Amazon just encourage people to impulse by birds. Also, budgies, I think at least, should be more expensive, £40 minimum.

I don't buy birds because they are cheap, I will but birds because I like them and know I can give it the care it needs. Cheap birds, or any other pet for that matter, encourage the opposite of this.

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I would also like to add, at least I think, the "floof" is not always "poof". It is also that feathering around the eyes that makes them look perpetually grumpy. They also tend to have the upper body weight and "bowling pin" shape when you look at them head on. Standard/American budgies tend to be smaller all over and streamlined in appearance... very wide eyed, no teeny feathers making their eyes look half shut/grumpy. Even Bao who is smaller than Bubbles, with less eye poof, looks grumpy.