• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

English budgie

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is another picture of her in the back I can kinda see the floofiness on her head already but looks more like pin feathers still
Right now your baby just has pin feathers, I couldn't find a good photo of a regular budgie to compare, but s/he has long pin feathers which show that s/he will have long feathers.

Reactions: Ali

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
Wah, just saw this today. Yes, I've got 2 English Budgies. I can't remember what the general weight differences are, but as your baby grows you'll be able to tell by the head "poofage" and general body size and weight. I have to say however, my male is smaller than my female. Someone told me that Bubbles (female) is probably closer to "show size" and Bao (male) is probably more of a "pet size" English Budgie. I forget how big they are until I see standard "American" Budgies. I went to an English show once and the show quality birds are HUGE! Massive floof and poof, HUGE throat "dots", Much grumpy looking! LOL (don't tell Bubbles, but I think she's a bit of a chunka chunka too)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
She looks so small now, especially compared with the first pic in the hand. Photos can be so confusing sometimes.
I have to withdraw my previous statement and agree with @Kiwi's Mom, this is not an English budgie.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Now they look more like Kiwi and Blizzard, English size, but only half the floof. My store called them "English parakeets" so maybe that was their way of saying "these aren't fully English"

After the first molt they do get fluffier, but it seems like your budgie will only reach the same level of floof as Kiwi or Blizzard.

LealGabby9

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabby
Now they look more like Kiwi and Blizzard, English size, but only half the floof. My store called them "English parakeets" so maybe that was their way of saying "these aren't fully English"

After the first molt they do get fluffier, but it seems like your budgie will only reach the same level of floof as Kiwi or Blizzard.
Does this one look English?

Attachments

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Hmm I wonder if it’s a reasonable price then that this lady is selling them for $100
@Kiwi's Mom if I remember correctly Kiwi and Blizzard were quite a bit cheaper? Here they usually cost about £15-£20 ($19-$25) so I would say that is very very expensive.

I know American birds are always much more expensive, especially parrotlets, so I am not sure

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Kiwi and Blizzard were $125 each, they were hand raised and interacted with, plus the bird store I go to has always been on the higher end for pricing.

I would say that $100 is not uncommon here for a hand raised and handled budgie.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
See, expensive America.

Reason 2 I would never move! Birdies are cheaper here!