• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eight Sleep Memory Foam Mattress

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Hi all,

I've ordered an Eight Sleep memory foam mattress that will be arriving within the next few weeks. Since it's memory foam, it'll have some off-gassing in the beginning. It's CertiPUR-US certified and is rated as low-VOC. (Safety statements here: Certifications & Air Quality). Searching the internet is really no help. All the discussions seem to focus on the off gassing not being toxic to humans as long as you get a CertiPUR-US certified mattress and state that the smell dissipates anywhere from a few days to a few weeks and it's no longer off gassing after the smell dissipates. Everything I've found in relation to birds is just people's opinions. I guess it's never been researched. The birds are in a different room than the mattress will be but I have central heat & air, so that's not really much of a safety break, since the rooms are all connected by vents and forced air. It's winter in Northern Colorado, so leaving the windows open for days isn't an option (although for a few hours most days lately, it's been warm enough to open them-there's no guarantee it will remain that way.)

Since there's really no valid data about birds and memory foam, I'm looking for others opinions on a few things. Gizmo & Darby are Red-Bellieds. Darby usually follows me into my bedroom every time I go in there when she's out. She's a velcro bird. Gizmo doesn't. I won't be letting Darby in the master while the bed's off gassing, but just because you can no longer smell it, does that really mean it's cleared out of the air? How long after I can no longer smell the off gassing would you wait to let her go back in there? Is it worth getting an air purifier for the bedroom to clean as much of the air as possible before it hits the HVAC system? Anything else I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinions!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We bought a mattress from Casper.com. It had no smell what so ever. Slept on it 30 minutes after unpacking.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
We bought a mattress from Casper.com. It had no smell what so ever. Slept on it 30 minutes after unpacking.
That's good to know! Hopefully that will be the case for this mattress also. I'm really not sure what to expect since it seems to be 50/50 on people saying theirs had a really strong odor and others saying there was no smell at all. It's going to be a challenge keeping her out of the bedroom if it does have a strong odor, so I'm hoping I get lucky and it's not that bad. She's pretty stealthy (Ninja-like) when she's trying to follow me somewhere I don't want her to go.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Looking to buy a memory foam mattress also. did not realize some have off gassing issues. How do you like the Casper?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Looking to buy a memory foam mattress also. did not realize some have off gassing issues. How do you like the Casper?
Best mattress we’ve ever bought.