• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dried red dates (jujubes) and chili safe???

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hello!
I am going to make chop for my bird tomorrow and I was wondering if dried red dates and chili are safe to add to the chop? If yes and I add them raw and dried or do I have to soak/ cook them? I'll attach a pic of both products!
Thank you guys!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Your chillies are totally fine and actually quite healthy. Dates are very high in sugars so although they are safe I would really limit the amount you use, I am not sure what kind of bird you have but I would only give Burt (macaw) a corn kernel size bit of date for the whole week. There are much healthier options of foods to mix into the chop. Id honestly skip the dates and maybe just give a tiny bit as a treat.

If you wish to serve the dried chilli straight from the bag then that is fine and I can not see there being any issues with soaking them for 10 mins prior to feeding to rehydrate them if that is what you wish to do. My birds all regularly get dried chillies mixed into their pellet and seed mixes (seed mixes for Squeak and Birdie only), they also get fresh chillies fairly often too.

Last edited: