• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dried Fruit, What's your bird's fave?

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I'm looking to add 1 or maybe 2 freeze dried fruits to my pionus' sprouted seed mix, just to give it a little treat mixed in. I wanted to see if I could find dried acai berries but they only seem to sell them powdered. She's picky and I've bought a lot of fruit and veggies that get snubbed! She has only a few things she is enthusiastic about. She likes chard, turnip greens, rapini, pomegranate, some peppers and squash but that's the only stuff I can really get her to eat other than her pellets (which thankfully she eats well) and sprouted seed mix.

So I'm trying to pick out something to add maybe in her seed mix, possibly raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherry, dried blueberry? Anyone had experience with a dried berry or fruit that your bird loves?

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Bobbie and Chico (Amazons) love organic goji berries and quite like organic raisins.

Be careful of likely added sugar in dried cranberries and blueberries. Cherries are one of the high pesticide fruits, so go organic if you can.

Have you tried freezing fresh cranberries then offering defrosted ones? Kobe and Ollie like them this way... they don't like the fresh which are harder. Now is a good time to stock up!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most of my birds have never liked dried fruits or veggies. The exception is dried papaya.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt likes lots of dried fruits but I limit them because so many of them are treated with sulfur plus they are high in sugar. I usually try to find him dried fruits that have not had sulfur dioxide used to preserve them but this is not always easy and is often quite costly so I mostly dehydrate my own fruits so I know they have nothing added. So far I think dried pineapple is his favorite.

In the freeze dried fruits I have given to Burt his favorite is the mango, nearly all the others get a little bite taken out of them and that is it before they hit the floor but the mango he holds onto for dear life and then goes looking for more once he finishes his piece.

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
Thanks for the advice so far! I saw some fresh cranberries at the local market yesterday, and actually saw fresh guava too, might try to get her both and see how she reacts. I know to keep fruit to a minimum, but where I live now I might have power outages and a harder time getting out to the store for fresh stuff because of snow, so I wanted to look into something somewhat shelf stable that I can slip into foraging toys and all that jazz. I'll check into raisins and goji berries if I can find some :)