• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you have full flight birds

Whats your bird(s) flight status?

• yes, my bird(s) are full-flight

Votes: 548 66.0%
  • No, my bird(s) are clipped

Votes: 59 7.1%
  • Some of my birds are clipped and some arent

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • Im considering full-flight but my bird(s) are currently clipped

Votes: 80 9.6%

• Total voters

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'd say it's probably six of one, half dozen of the other. I've asked the woman who runs the 911 board if she keeps data on the information that comes in a couple of times and as of the last time I asked, she didn't. I really wish she would because I think it would give us a lot of telling information. I would even volunteer for the job if I wasn't already so busy. It would be a great place to gather that kind of information though.
I think this is a great idea! Perhaps I'll email parrot 911 and inquire about it too. If enough people do, she may start keeping data on it. I would love to know:

How many are clipped that get loose
How many are flighted

And then how many that are flighted have just recently grown in their flights

And how many that get loose have ALWAYS been flighted

And how many that are clipped are recall trained

And how many that are flighted are recall trained.

I am just dying to know!!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would also love to know the ages of birds that typically get loose.

I see a lot of baby bird getting loose this time of year :(

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I just personally want to say, that I have no hard feelings with anyone on this forum, whether they clip or keep their birds flighted. That is their own decision.

I clip my mom's smaller birds to make them easily managed for her (she is very ill). So clipping is indeed a personal decision and no one should be bashed for clipping or keeping their birds flighted.

But I do hope those that keep birds that clip or keep their birds flighted, do practice recall training on their birds. That is the BEST way to go to try and keep their birds safe. And if they do get outside, they have a better chance of calling their birds back to them.

A clipped bird can still tree hop, so whether you clip or keep your birds flighted, PLEASE make sure you teach your bird some recall training, and teach your birds to CLIMB DOWN to you, or fly down to you.

Keeping a bird with wings, is a huge risk whether you clip or not. So we as birdie lovers and owners of our feathery companions, try and do your best to provide the SAFEST environment for your birds, and try to remember that you have a bird with wings, so be careful with hot boiling water, toilets, other animals and doorways and freedom to the great outdoors.

Mercedez
I also wanted to mention that it's good practice to teach your bird to call to you when you call to it. A lot of the time, this isn't normal behavior for birds but I've heard stories of people getting their birds back because they've gotten into the routine of doing this with their birds. I personally lost Tuchis in the house one time because my roommate let all the birds out and then left the living room while I was on a phone call in my bedroom. When I came out, Tuchis was no where to be found. I searched and called for him for 20 minutes and he never called back. I finally found him in my roommate's bedroom sitting in a fake plant, happy as a clam. Because he wasn't worried, he wasn't making any noises...he had no regard for me!:)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I think this is a great idea! Perhaps I'll email parrot 911 and inquire about it too. If enough people do, she may start keeping data on it. I would love to know:

How many are clipped that get loose
How many are flighted

And then how many that are flighted have just recently grown in their flights

And how many that get loose have ALWAYS been flighted

And how many that are clipped are recall trained

And how many that are flighted are recall trained.

I am just dying to know!!!
It would also be interesting to see the numbers on who got returned, flighted versus not flighted.

Sophie's Mama

Walking the driveway
No offense was taken. Jodee Pm'd me to make sure I wasn't offended..and we sorted it out:pillowfight:
Hey! that was unnecessary!:pillowfight::hehe:

. So I just dont understand why you think all of us who keep flighted birds, are not keeping our birds safe.:confused:
[/B][/COLOR]
I never said 'all of you who keep flighted birds were not keeping your birds safe', I just said that for me to assure mine's safety, clipping was the best approach!

As for your post on recall, I love the idea. My question is truly how many birds do you think have been recall trained? We are talking %'s? 10%? 50%? 90%? And I don't know about your birds, but I have a M2 that loves nothing better than to be truly disobedient from time to time...What happens if he were taken outside after being recall trained and he decides to go on an adventure? Should I take it for granted we have all he needs to survive in the wild, or that he will someday when he get finished with his adventure come home? As I said I don't allow my birds outside loose. I don't truly think you can ensure their safety. You can do your best and train to the best of your ability, but just like children, they can have a mind of their own. Is it responsible to use the word "safest", when talking about free flight for all birds in general? I just think as stated on this a million times, you need to take each situation on it's own merits and understand the owner has to do his very best to see to it his bird is truly safe. Yours might be teaching recall and leaving yours flighted, mine is to try my best to see to it that they do not get lost by accidentally getting outside... To each his own.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
It would also be interesting to see the numbers on who got returned, flighted versus not flighted.
Yeah I am very intersted in that too.

And I saw your post about your bird calling to you. That is a great idea!

Now I "think" that may be my problem with my flighted cockatoos. When they fly they do not make hardly any noise. They are like ghosts....Well Bokka sometimes lets out his cockatoo scream in flight, but he does it to show off to me:heart: I think I will now teach my birds to scream to me :)eek:). But not in a bad way :) On cue!:huh::hehe:

Gra my scarlet screamed and ROARED while in flight:hehe: I didnt have to keep track of her with my eyes, I could hear her:hehe::cool1:

Sophie's Mama

Walking the driveway
I also would like to know, I do Pit bull rescue. I find a large similarity between the two....they come with status, they are under estimated as to the care and need to be protected from the world. they are misunderstood....And I will tell you, if your pit is not chipped, or you are not extremely lucky, you won't be getting it back. I would probably post if I found a lost bird, but most people would not and even if they did, the likely hood of it being seen is minimal....Are there any stats in general as to the likely hood of getting a lost bird back, whether it is clipped or not?:confused:

Sophie's Mama

Walking the driveway
Mercedez, How did you get into the recall techniques? Do you train professionally? What are the time needs in training? As I have stated before, I have 3 kids, all will have a friend in tow, 7 dogs 4 birds and a husband I would like to introduce myself to occasionally? I am fascinated with your time management....ps this is NOT sarcasm! I would like to hear more... And I would like to sign my kids up, maybe you could whip them into shape!:hehe: OK so that WAS sarcasm!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I also would like to know, I do Pit bull rescue. I find a large similarity between the two....they come with status, they are under estimated as to the care and need to be protected from the world. they are misunderstood....And I will tell you, if your pit is not chipped, or you are not extremely lucky, you won't be getting it back. I would probably post if I found a lost bird, but most people would not and even if they did, the likely hood of it being seen is minimal....Are there any stats in general as to the likely hood of getting a lost bird back, whether it is clipped or not?:confused:
Actually, a lot of people do get their birds back. I tend to see a lot of the flighted birds being returned but I also know more people with flighted birds so that might be the factor there. I also know more people who train for recall, so that might have a lot to do with it as well. Since we do have Parrot 911, it would be wonderful if we could get these stats out of it but I understand if they aren't doing it because it would indeed be a fairly large job. I think if someone were willing to step up and offer to gather the stats, that the woman running the board would probably be more than willing to send them to whomever offered but that's just a guess. It would certainly give us, as bird owners, a much firmer grasp of what happens when birds do get out. I guess another thing that I didn't mention that would be interesting to see is the species of bird...I tend to see a lot of greys getting lose although I don't know why...that could have something to do with the fact that I'm on a lot of grey forums too I suppose! LOL!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I never said 'all of you who keep flighted birds were not keeping your birds safe', I just said that for me to assure mine's safety, clipping was the best approach!
Sorry I didnt mean to apply that to you.:hug8: You have never said us folk who keep our birds flighted arent keeping them safe:hug8:

As for your post on recall, I love the idea. My question is truly how many birds do you think have been recall trained? We are talking %'s? 10%? 50%? 90%?
A very small number of birds are free flighted. I would say 5-15% out of all the captive birds in the world, have been flight trained. Out of all of my personal birds, 1/2 of them have been recall trained and only 2 out of them all have been flight trained for outdoor flight. And indoor flight trained? Im hoping 50% or more of people who have flighted birds teach indoor recall training, I will make a poll on it soon!

And I don't know about your birds, but I have a M2 that loves nothing better than to be truly disobedient from time to time...What happens if he were taken outside after being recall trained and he decides to go on an adventure?
Well then you know he isnt ready if you feel this way. You must work to the goal of being 100% obedient and 100% willing to do what you say and what you want. You have to really work at it.

This is why I first train my birds for indoor flight, and while I take them outside, they are in their harnesses and will remain in a harness or in a enclosed aviary, being flight trained and conditioning them to the outdoors, so I can guarantee their safety of returning back to me.

The key to having a bird WANT to do what you want, is to use positive reinforcement training. So the experiences are pleasant and they WANT to return to you.

What is your bird doing when it is being "disobedient" and how is it being this. And how are you reacting to it?

For example: If my birds are biting me when I put them in their cage. I stop and re-evaluate what I am doing, and making going back in their cage a positive and fun thing. My birds dont bite me, ever, when they go back into their cages. They look forward to everything I do with them.

The key in having a bird do what you want is by positive reinforcement and doing pleasant things. There is always a way to react pleasantly, so your birds wants to do what you ask of it.

Please visit Chris Biro's website, it talks about it better than I could ever explain it

Index

Should I take it for granted we have all he needs to survive in the wild, or that he will someday when he get finished with his adventure come home?
Unless you live in FL or Cali or somewhere where your certain species has a higher chance of living, no you cannot believe, if he is lost forever in the wild, that he has a chance, as a lone bird. That is not what Im trying to say. I am just saying, that you can have a better likely hood of getting your bird back, if you recall train it.

There is indoor recall for flighted and clipped birds, then there in outdoor free flying for flighted birds. All I am saying is that people who have birds with wings that are meant to fly, should teach their birds indoor recall training. And teach their birds to come to you (whether flying, climbing down to you, or walking to you) when you ask them to. To increase the chances of getting your birds back :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Mercedez, How did you get into the recall techniques? Do you train professionally? What are the time needs in training? As I have stated before, I have 3 kids, all will have a friend in tow, 7 dogs 4 birds and a husband I would like to introduce myself to occasionally? I am fascinated with your time management....ps this is NOT sarcasm! I would like to hear more... And I would like to sign my kids up, maybe you could whip them into shape!:hehe: OK so that WAS sarcasm!
Recall training isn't as hard as you would think and you can do it whether or not you clip. Find what treat your bird likes the best and keep it out of his main diet. Use it only in training. Get your bird to walk a few inches for a treat and when he gets that down, gradually make the distance further and further. Soon, you'll have him trying to find you as long as he knows there's food involved if he's motivated by food. There are birds who aren't and with them, you have to find other methods that get them excited enough to come to you. I've got a 'too that could care less about food but scritches, kisses, pets, and hugs are a whole different story! LOL!

Recall is nothing more than clicker training in it's simplest form and there's a whole section of AA just for clicker training if you want to check it out. It only takes a few minutes a day and is very simple and fun!:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedez, How did you get into the recall techniques? Do you train professionally? What are the time needs in training? As I have stated before, I have 3 kids, all will have a friend in tow, 7 dogs 4 birds and a husband I would like to introduce myself to occasionally? I am fascinated with your time management....ps this is NOT sarcasm!
Well Chris Biro has always been my idle. He is my favorite recall flight artist. He can fly over 20 birds at once, and recall them to him all at once. He free flies cockatoos and macaws and conures.

I started out with my first personal bird. A house sparrow, I never thought of clipping her. she was a hopper, not a climber. And as I raised her as a baby, I brought her outdoors with me all the time. She was 100% recall flight trained until she passed away at 5years of age.

I have only gotten seriously into free flight in the past 3 years since I got Bokka. He has been a very trying subject, as he was very VERY unhealthy when I got him.

But my 2nd bird to free fly was my scarlet. She was a rescue, with a severe butchered wing clip, but luckily she molted all that out within 6 months of bringing her home:highfive: And her first year of being fully flighted, I taught her to perfect her indoor recall skills.

I recommend checking out

Chris Biro's website:

Index

David Womach's recall training sessions:

YouTube - BirdTricks's Channel

And to learn more and talk to people who do do recall training professionaly and unprofessionally (and talk to David Womach and Chris Biro) join these two yahoo groups:

freeflight and parrotrecalltraining

I understand you are just curious and not interested in doing it. But watching videos on how they do it, and talking to other's who do it, will help you understand :)

p.s: last spring and summer when I recall trained Gra, I worked full time from 6-2. 4 days a week, and a partime job on the days off I had, from 7-12pm.

In the afternoons, and my days off I didnt work, I just did a few sessions here and there. And since I spend my majority of my free time (after work, after cleaning, after whatever) outdoors with my birds, this is when I practiced teaching my birds stuff.:)

So bare minimum was 30 minutes a day, and the best days it was 8 hours a day outside with me.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Recall training isn't as hard as you would think and you can do it whether or not you clip. Find what treat your bird likes the best and keep it out of his main diet. Use it only in training. Get your bird to walk a few inches for a treat and when he gets that down, gradually make the distance further and further. Soon, you'll have him trying to find you as long as he knows there's food involved if he's motivated by food. There are birds who aren't and with them, you have to find other methods that get them excited enough to come to you. I've got a 'too that could care less about food but scritches, kisses, pets, and hugs are a whole different story! LOL!

Recall is nothing more than clicker training in it's simplest form and there's a whole section of AA just for clicker training if you want to check it out. It only takes a few minutes a day and is very simple and fun!:)

Great post!

For tricks, I use the clicker. And for flying to me, I use the whistle.

Also I find with birds who are not food motivated. Just taking their favorite food out of their main diet, and only giving it as a treat, helps cure them of not being food motivated.

My amazons were not food motivated. They got their pellets, and fresh veggies and seeds every day. So I took away their seeds, and just put those into foraging toys, and use the nuts as a treat for the rewarding.

My 'toos are not food motivated. So I use my excited human voice, and lots of hugging, etc, as a reward. And believe me, I reward them a lot. :hehe:. I do use safflower seeds during trick training. They do not take the seed during flight training, so I used cuddles as a reward.

Sophie's Mama

Walking the driveway
No, I mean anyone can go online and find the knowledge, It's your time I am interested in? It is all I can do to pick up after everyone, make dinner, laundry, clean cages, bath dogs, do my yard...on and on and on and on, what is funny about this is I am a stay at home mom and spend time with my birds inbetween everything else...Whether we agree on styles of bird care or not you amaze me.....Where do you get the time?

Sophie's Mama

Walking the driveway

I rescue and train pit bulls in the spare time I have, we use clicker training ALL the time, but my dogs can't fly over the fence and disappear into the sunset....Well most can't..:hehe: I don't know how Mercedez finds the time.....Very different than dogs!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I am not sure. Let me see.

Well currently I am working 10 hours a day, 4 days a week:cool1:.. I wake up early, clean and feed and take care of my birds and myself.

And in between all of that, I train. Its not the amount of time you spend with your birds, or amount of time training them. Training sessions should be less than 10minutes long, several times a day. So its easy to train:cool1: Flight training is usually 3-12laps(laps as in going from A-B ). So however long that takes, or until your bird get tired.

I guess, I just replace regular cuddle session, or sitting on my lap watching TV sessions, and train. Training is fun for me and the birds. Its a fun way of interacting with the birds. My birds have a blast. Training = playtime. And my birds still get playtime with me :)

But are you telling me, you just clean all day, make food for everyone, and never have a time in the day to take a few minutes here and there?

On many people's days off, or spare time, people spend it relaxing, etc. Even when Im "relaxing", I am interacting with my birds. And I choose my type of interaction to be quality interaction and teaching time.

The only time I "relax" and dont do anything is at night for an hour or so. At night its cuddle time, watch TV, eat a late dinner or snack time, for one hour. Even right now, on my day off and computer time, I am still doing this and asking my birds to fly to me. I give them a treat, and toss them back to one of their stands with the treat in their mouth. They fly to me without me signaling, and I dont give a treat and toss them back and then say "wait". After a few seconds, I ask them to fly to me, and they fly to me. I am multi-tasking :D

Every other spare time I have with my birds, I ask them to do a few sessions of tricks or recalling. They have a blast. They get a much tasty treat after each trick, etc.

For example. Let say I am cleaning the bottom of one of the Java stands I have. Ok, I take 3 minutes off of scrubbing poop from a branch, and back away 20ft, and ask a bird to fly to me, 3 times. After each time, I give a treat and put themback on the stand, and do it again, for several times. And then its time to go back to cleaning poop.

I train my birds for flight in between everything else.

I am also not stuck doing everything. I vacuum everywhere(takes probably 5-10minutes to get everywhere in the house 2xs a day), thats easy, not too hard. I put dishes away, ok that takes 1-2minutes. Do my own laundry 2xs a week. And only make dinner or lunch for the kids several times a week. My days off work, and free time away from house chorse, is my own free time. I clean bird cages and play with my birds...

I hope I explained it. Sorry I kind of rambled on and on trying to explain.. lol

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I rescue and train pit bulls in the spare time I have, we use clicker training ALL the time, but my dogs can't fly over the fence and disappear into the sunset....Well most can't..:hehe: I don't know how Mercedez finds the time.....Very different than dogs!
I personally think Mercedez is nuts for free flying, not that I don't dream about it!;) But, that's all I do is dream...I think that if I ever lost one of my birds outside I would lose my mind, so it's just not an option that I would ever explore. She's right about Chris Biro though, he's probably one of the leading authorities on free flight. I would throw the Womach brothers out with the bath water but that's neither here nor there.

I'm with you on the time thing too but it literally only takes minutes a day. I've managed to train my Timneh to wave, turn around, and shake hands in addition to the recall and I spend very little time training him. Let's face it, I work 40 hours a week, run an online toy business that's beating me to death, and take care of three cats and five very spoiled birds! But I still get a bit of training in. I have to admit, I do most of my training with Tuchis TAG, but I do get around to the other birds too! Check out the clicker training area, you'll be really surprised on easy and what little time it does take. There's a really good book out there on it too called Clicker Training for Birds by Melinda Johnson which I highly recommend. Tani Rohbar wrote a good one on trick training too. It's all the same thing, trick training or recall training and dog training or bird training...exactly the same thing!:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I personally think Mercedez is nuts for free flying, not that I don't dream about it!;) But, that's all I do is dream...I think that if I ever lost one of my birds outside I would lose my mind, so it's just not an option that I would ever explore. She's right about Chris Biro though, he's probably one of the leading authorities on free flight. I would throw the Womach brothers out with the bath water but that's neither here nor there.

:hehe::hehe::hehe: The only thing I really like about the Womach brothers, well Dave not the other guy, is that he recall trains. And so far during the videos, they arent too bad, and they seem to be alright as far as recall training goes :) They were taught by Chris Biro, so that may be why:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1: LOL

And yes I am nuts :) But if you ever come by, I'll show you my birds and let them tell you how happy and well trained they have me and how well trained they are too. I do know when to do it and when not to. My scarlet was perfect for it after just 1 month of outdoor "controlled" training. My Umbies, not so yet. But unlike my scarlet, they were clipped as babies, so that may be the deciding factor, as to why they are taking so long to get it down.. and not being food motivated when they fly... lol

Last edited:

Phoenix

Walking the driveway
All of my birds are flighted. They have the upstairs den as a bird room. They are also cage-free.

I don't do any "training" per se, except step up which they all know.

*outside free flight is not possible, MD is littered with Hawks.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
:hehe::hehe::hehe: The only thing I really like about the Womach brothers, well Dave not the other guy, is that he recall trains. And so far during the videos, they arent too bad, and they seem to be alright as far as recall training goes :) They were taught by Chris Biro, so that may be why:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1: LOL

Actually they weren't trained by Chris...they stole all that info...Chris is very not happy with them! LOL!