• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do Meyers Parrots have issues at sexual maturity?

Spooky

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
I am getting a Meyers Parrot soon and I read about issues at 3 or 4 when they reach sexual maturity. The one I would be getting is a handfed just weaned bird. I read that petting on the back, under the wings, and the beak is breeding behavior. I don't want to start any bad habits before then to make it go smoother. Should I just stick to petting above the neck, or is it okay for me to pet wherever he is comfortable?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'd stick with head & neck...they like that. No sense getting a bird used to other more familiar touching as it could be misunderstood & lead to frustration in the future.

Meyers really have nasty bites...

Good Luck on your new baby!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am getting a Meyers Parrot soon and I read about issues at 3 or 4 when they reach sexual maturity.
They do that a lot earlier. More common from 1-2 years old. And you should never pet them at all. But you can preen their head and neck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of my Pois got weird when they were just a few months old. They went through a phobic period. Never had issues with sexual maturity. No personality changes. I can pet/scratch my Pois anywhere except for Jake and Claudé. Petting the others under their wings, backs or abdomen never caused any issues, but if you want to be safe stick to the head and neck.

Spooky

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
No sense getting a bird used to other more familiar touching as it could be misunderstood & lead to frustration in the future.
Would it be appropriate to scratch these areas after they go through the whole sexual maturity thing or will that still cause frustration?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Depends...you really don;t want them to see/want you as a mate...its just frustrating for them & can lead to bad things

Spooky

Moving in
Real Name
Ryan
Okay, good to know! This will be more of a family bird. I want him/her to get along with my family and friends so seeing me as a mate would not be ideal lol

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Good you getting a Meyers...awesome bird and also a good family bird.

I got chosen by little Toby...i was actually after a Senegal...but Toby came to me..while non of the Senegals there did..so i changed my mind and went for a Meyers instead.

and as been told..avoid petting...scratching Neck and head is calm...feets are also okey..and sexual maturity is more at age 1 - 2, Toby reached his sexual maturity at age 1 year.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
How did you handle his sexual maturity, and how long did it last?
how i handle it?..accept that its his hormones and that its just a phase, that can last up to a year or even a bit longer.

Hard to say how to handle it cuz to be honest Toby wasnt so hard to handle..also i learned his signals so i knew when it was time to avoid him :D