• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discussion on Photoperiodism

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I also use a 12 hour light/12 hour dark schedule year round, using FSL. I've been doing it for close to a decade now.

These are all hormonal adult birds, but no screaming, craziness or eggs. I've never been the victim of a hormonal attack, nor have other birds.

It seems to work for me so I will be sticking to it unless I feel in the future I should make changes.

Not wanting any arguments, but I've seen positive results with FSL that have convinced me its beneficial.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
@Mizzely as of late, pellets are about 70% of their diet. I want to say that since reducing sprouts and mushy foods, they seem to be doing *slightly* better than before. I plan to reintroduce these omitted foods but only after I've studied the effects (or not?) of feeding mostly dry meals.

It's nice to hear that the 12/12 has some good track record. :) will be trying.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
For my flock, diet never seemed to affect my guys unless they're currently hormonal. Then nuts and seeds or human foods really do have an impact.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
For some birds, I think the 12/12 of light and dark can encourage hormones, not discourage them. In other birds, it could be an increase in daylight, or perhaps a decrease in it. The quality of light may also play a role in hormones... i.e. dim light vs bright light.

Tomi Girl came out of a home where she ended up being covered 24/7 because she was "too noisy". There was also a thick yellow blanket covering the window. As such, the room was often very dark unless the light was on. She was turning into a chronic egg layer while there and the only thing she was fed was seeds... that is, if someone *remembered* to feed her. (she was near 50% underweight when I took her in and sitting on oddly shaped eggs) Since I've had her, I haven't had any issues with egg laying at all.

I do allow my birds to follow the natural day/night schedule in the area and I don't currently use supplemental lighting. (actually, the only "FS" light that I have is currently being used as a regular light in my bedroom! I also purchased this several years ago, so if it did have any FS lighting benefits, it probably no longer does!)

I live in the Reno-Sparks area of Nevada and during the summer it's dark by 9 or soon after and the sun starts coming up after 5am. In the winter, it can be dark by 4pm and light by 7am. When my birds are hormonal, it's Spring through Summer, sometimes as late as Fall! Never in the winter! Winter its usually freezing cold outside with snow! (granted, this past winter was unusually warm for us - hardly any snow!) In summer, we have extremely high temps! 80's, 90's and even into the 100's. Here in Nevada, it seems as if it's either too hot or too cold, with not enough cool/warm breezy days!

The temperature of the house also tends to fluctuate throughout the year so it can get as cold as 50's inside or as warm as high 80's (and sometimes low 90's).

I do think that there are many things that can influence hormones.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
All my birds have been at a strict solar schedule for many years and it works like a charm! I have no sexual frustration, no off-season or chronic layers, and no extreme aggression even during breeding season.

12L/12D was the avant-garde thing 15 - 20 years ago (before that everybody kept them at a human schedule all the time) but it doesn't work for all birds (as proven by all the off-season and chronic layers kept at it) because tropical birds breed perfectly well on it and, even temperate climate birds would if the food is rich enough. The trick is to follow the sun's schedule faithfully and expose them to a full dawn and dusk because it's the change in spectrum (prevalence of wavelength and its incidence in the specific photorefractoriness point of that species) that sets the internal clock (circadian cycle which, in turn, sets the circannual biorhythms).

I use full spectrum light all day long but I make sure the Ktemp is never higher than 5500 for the winter months because it's the bluer light that brings them into condition (lots of FSL have Ktemps of over 6000 and those are not good) and I reduce the protein, eliminate all breeding food (sprouts, eggs) and lower the temperature (very slightly though) during the winter months.

Aside from that, it doesn't really matter when you start the solar schedule although I would assume it's an easier transaction for a bird's body if you switch them during the summer. I just start them whenever they come to live with me because, the more screwed up their endocrine system is, the longer it takes for their bodies to become attuned to the seasons (the longest it has taken me is one entire year).

Last edited:

Shivan

Walking the driveway
I keep my birds on a solar schedule, and after over 35 years, nothing seems to work better than that. Hormones are breeding season are going to happen, and it seems to go more smoothly with the natural light fluctuations that occur with season. What I've noticed is that if the "off" season is attempted to be artificially prolonged, it explodes more strongly later. I'm not saying that other methods don't work, because it's different in different parts of the globe. It's just worked better for me (Michigan). Breeding season and hormonal behavior are as inevitable as moulting, and it's always worked better with my fids just to let it happen with a solar schedule. Years ago I tried going the artificial light route to reduce hormones, and found (for us) that it worked temporarily, only to explode with far more force later on.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
Sorry I have been busy and lost track of this thread. You mentioned that since reducing the mash that things have improved a little, what are your mash ingredients?
I would also be tempted to recommend reducing the pellet percentage a little and replace that percentage with more fresh low energy foods.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Each of us has to go with what works for our birds. I always provide the pellets and seeds, dried fruit and nuts, and birds bread. This way I know every bird is getting a complete, healthy diet. I do limit warm, mushy foods during breeding time. They get their greens and veggies at the same amount year round. Fruits I give abundantly when they are available. In the winter they are limited in volume. I work hard on keeping 50% humidity year round; it is so much more healthy for their respiratory system. After 10 years of using the FS lights, I can show with numbers I have decreased egg production. My birds are healthy and appear happy. This is all I want for them. :dance4: