• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Desperately in need of help and some quick education

mama.marci

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Marcela
Backstory: Mother was an experienced bird lover. Her first parrot was attacked by a terrier and sadly passed. About a year later (2010) she was gifted a rose breasted cockatoo from my father. Fast forward to 2018, She was diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer and passed that year Dec.
Present: I’ve moved in to help care for my father and grandmother and of course all her pets. The bird being the most challenging. Plucking feathers, not screeching or talking at all, not really active or spirited as it once was.

I’ve tried researching but there is so much info online it’s a bit overwhelming. One thing i am finding is these birds tend to be a one person bird and they don’t like change in their routines. It breaks my heart that Tilly is alone and desperately want to befriend him. I know absolutely nothing other then he moves away from me and hisses and nips when I try to change out the food or water or pet it. It’s nothing like the vibrant bird it once was. His feathers are dull and I noticed an alarming amount of plucked feathers at the bottom of his cage. My father keeps it fed and hydrated and pulls it out once in awhile but I feel like it needs more. And maybe it’s my grief that draws me torward the bird after all we both lost our rock and I just want to show this bird who my mother cherished that I love it too.

So my question is how do I start? What should I expect?

Update: I posted this in the behavior byways and it was suggested I post in this forum as well. So far I’ve been told to take my time sitting near Tilly waiting for him to get comfortable me. I have absolutely no experience with birds, only kids and bearded dragons. I’m reading that they need to bathe everyday, how do I go about this. Cleaning it the cage if he hisses me? Food or treats I should or shouldn’t get? If there is anything else that’s super important I should know. Thank you so much ♥♥♥

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. And it's good of you to want to help Tilly.

Feathers- are the any bald spots? He could just be molting. And he doesn't need baths everyday. In the summer I try to do every week but in the winter, I do probably every other week. I use a spray bottle and mist my 'too. Don't force a bath though. If he doesn't want it or seems scared of the bottle, just try again another day.

What is his diet like? Does he have toys? Where is his cage located? Typically 'toos like to be where the action is. So if his cage can be where people are that would help, I think. I let my cockatoo stay in the living room during the day and then move him into the dining room at night. Eventually, I'm going to have him sleep upstairs in a separate room but I'm still working on that. Ideally, birds should have out of the cage time every day.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
I'm so sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

Time will be your friend in growing a relationship with Tilly. He just lost his person. As far as I can tell, cockatoos can go through a grieving period. Some cockatoos, especially hand-reared ones, tend to pull out their feathers when they are distressed. In some cases a veterinarian might prescribe an SSRI, like Prozac, for a few of months which can help quite a lot with the lack of spirit and feather plucking. (Rhubarb plucks seasonally, especially in October. It might be related to the change in daylight period or the increased dryness of the air here during the fall.)

A few questions to help know where Tilly might be at in life, to help guide advice...

:galah2: Has he always lived with your parents? If not, how old is he and do you know anything about his past before he joined your family?

:galah2: What is his diet like? Any favorite foods? Is he fed any supplements or vitamins?

:galah2: Does he enjoy spending time outside of his cage or is he a homebirdy? Have you noticed that he likes any particular kinds of toys (cardboard, thin-cut wood, colorful plastic, paper shreds, bells, etc.)? Has he ever been able to spend time on a sunny window perch or in a cage outside on warm days?

:galah2: What was his daily routine before your mom became ill? Did he spend most of the day in his cage? Was he out on a person for hours at a time? Did he have a play perch/gym where he'd hang out during the day?

:galah2: Has he recently moved? It sounds like you are in the same place, but did you move in where he was living or did you need to bring him into your home? Have you been interacting with him since your mom passed or are you a recent/new caregiver?

I know this is a lot, but any answers you are able to share will really help focus attention on trouble spots. The more things that can stay the same for him at first, the better. I do know though that isn't always possible... And the good folks here on the Avenue are so helpful in seeing things I've missed and offering suggestions to help correct.

Edit: Small typo corrected, added info on seasonal plucking.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh, and just in general, with birds- no Teflon pans, candles, air fresheners, or harsh cleaning chemicals. Cage cleaning- I just use water and white vinegar. Food- no onions, avocados, chocolate or alcohol.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Galah live in my backyard, they are very cute little characters. A pair was in my driveway yesterday and they are amazingly intelligent bubs. I am not sure on their care in captivity, so I am just going to share some pictures of them romping around Australia. These aren't my photos. I hope you find them cute.

They spend lots of time walking around on the ground. They are always looking for these teeny-tiny seeds. Maybe some good foraging games that involve walking to search for little reward.

2013 JRFLComp kicks off 6.4.2013 175.jpg

Galah - Australian Bush Birds
Galah

A few other links, possibly of use?

What You Need to Know About the Rose-Breasted Cockatoo
Galah or Rose-breasted Cockatoos / Roseate | Beauty of Birds
Feeding Your Cockatoo for Good Health | Beauty of Birds

mama.marci

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Marcela
Hello all, first off thank you too everyone for all their advice...We are leaving the vets office with extremely heartbreaking news... Tilly hasn’t been eating or drinking for awhile his chest muscles have deteriorated and he is mostly bones His eyes are swollen which indicate some kidney issues and the worst news of all... he has 2 huge masses by his left leg. Im unsure what to do... the vet suggested we put him down because he is suffering and with his current condition he might not make it off the table. I feel awful and like I’ve let my mother down. How can I put her bird down? And I’ve spent all day with this guy...so much that he actually sits on my arm and lets me stroke his feathers.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello all, first off thank you too everyone for all their advice...We are leaving the vets office with extremely heartbreaking news... Tilly hasn’t been eating or drinking for awhile his chest muscles have deteriorated and he is mostly bones His eyes are swollen which indicate some kidney issues and the worst news of all... he has 2 huge masses by his left leg. Im unsure what to do... the vet suggested we put him down because he is suffering and with his current condition he might not make it off the table. I feel awful and like I’ve let my mother down. How can I put her bird down? And I’ve spent all day with this guy...so much that he actually sits on my arm and lets me stroke his feathers.
Well first off do not ever think you let your mother down. You did not put this bird in this situation or cause these things. As a matter of fact without you stepping up now and intervening in this birds life it probably will die the slow painful way.

I don't know any vets that like to use euthanasia. It is only used as a last resort so it is not recommended lightly without serious consideration. From what you describe this bird is in pretty rough shape. The intervention/surgery it needs will more than likely kill it because it isn't strong/healthy enough to withstand such an invasive procedure (and it's going to be expensive).

Some other things to consider. Should this bird survive the procedure it certainly can't go back to the same situation because that is what's killing him now. First there is going to be a long difficult healing period. There needs to drastic changes in diet, environment, enrichment, attention, interaction and more dedication to feed this bird's spirit so it even has a chance of surviving. It can not go back to the same situation without the procedure because that is cruel and inhumane.

So this comes down to quality of life. If you've got the resources and dedication to take over this bird's life then we are behind you and will support you in what you need to know to live and help this bird going forward. If not then helping someone in pain and suffering pass on is not in any way cruel or inhumane. It's quite humane in my humble opinion. It hurts us more than it hurts them. I wish you the courage and strength to make the right decision. :hug8:

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Never give up, just never give up until there is absolutely no hope.

Did the vet give you anything for pain? It is important to control pain. Constant pain in itself can be debilitating. Gabapentin, Celebrex and Metacam are excellent pain killers. Tramadol is an opiod, but who cares you can wean him off when it is time. Tramadol will make them a little dopey and sleepy, but maybe it will help your bird get rest.

Try tempting your bird to eat - give him anything he will eat whether it is good or him or not. Right now he needs energy and strength. You can worry about a proper diet later when he is better. Soft foods like oatmeal, tofu, eggs, most birds really like and they have great nutritional value. You can always ask a vet to gavage feed him a few times to get him turned around. He is starving right now and that's not good.

Right now it is important to control pain and get food into him. Be sure to get a second opinion. Unfortunately some vets pull the trigger too fast and recommend euthanizing far too soon. When you get him a little better we can discuss the next steps.

We are with you all the way. You are taking your mom's place not letting her down.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
I hope it doesn’t come to it, but if it does, I would be inclined to take the vet’s advice regarding putting Tilly down.

We had to euthanise Mickey, our DYH, about five years ago, and it broke our hearts. But we know it was the right decision in a situation of no good choices.

I pray for you and Tilly.......

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I can't understand why life is sometimes so unfair.

There is NO way that you've let your Mom down...in any way.

If Tilly is suffering...then you must have the strength to make the decision to free him from it...it is the ultimate act of love... :sadhug2:

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Are the tumors on his leg at the joints? Did the vet give you a diagnosis?

Rhubarb survived a nearly fatal brush with kidney failure. She had been sick for months when I finally found a good vet after our old one wouldn't believe me that she was sick (throwing up, weird poops, low activity level for weeks). I nearly lost my $h1t when the old vet said "Animals don't feel pain, especially not birds."

So we found Dr. Bart in Corona. Rhubarb was so weak she couldn't stand without holding the side of the cage when we took her in to get blood work. We got the call that she needed to emergency care. Her blood uric acid level was nearly 10x normal... She had both feet and a wing through death's door. She went into the birdy ICU incubator for a few days between Christmas and New Year's in 2014. She had an intraosseous (needle in the bone) line for fluids. She was so sick that her liver and pancreas were shutting down: High liver enzymes and diabetes-level blood sugar. It cost us more than one months salary for just that first week of treatment. When she got out she still needed intensive medical care. A few days before her stay in the ICU she had been badly burned by a full-spectrum lamp that was later discontinued because it killed so many animals. When she was discharged I had to do oral medication every 12 hours, topical treatments 3x a day and needed to set her up in a room that was kept much warmer than the rest of the house, in a cage modified for her debilitating joint pain. She had very bad gout from her kidney function being so low. We continued medication every 12 hours for the next two years. Then it took 6 months to wean her off the gout medicine. She still eats a specialized diet and her pellets require a vet prescription.

There were very dark moments when I wondered if it would have been more merciful to let her go to a final painless sleep. I hope that in the scales of the universe, what I did weighs more in the good than the harm... All this to say, go ahead and get a second opinion and if he can be treated, and you have the resources, treat him. But if it is a diagnosis that can have no good end, and treatment only prolongs suffering, perhaps it might be time to consider allowing him to follow his mom. :sadhug2:

My sweet Ruffles, who I loved as only a kid can love a pet, was diagnosed with an "abdominal mass" when I was in 8th grade and doing home school. We were too broke for more than that initial vet visit, but I did everything I could to make her comfortable. She had trouble pooping, so I would set up a steam tent with warm water and hold her with her tail inside until she could get out a poo. One day she could no longer get anything out. That afternoon we went back to the vet and I said goodbye for the last time. Years later, I was asking my mom about that time in our lives and she told me that the vet did a necropsy. Ruffles had an ovairan tumor the size of a chicken egg yolk in her tiny cockatiel body. He told my mom he didn't think a tumor could get that big in a 100 gram bird... and that she must have had extraordinary care.

Whatever you decide to do, know that no one here will judge you. A gentle, painless transition to an eternal sleep; a long hard battle against an illness that could take years and might still result in permanent disability... Many of us here have had to make the same choices. It isn't easy. But even though we've only just met, know that you are loved and the hurt of these decisions is a pain that we too have lived.

Last edited: