• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crusty beak budgie

ABM

Strolling the yard
Is she not being treated as well? That's how mites travel from bird to bird. Just sharing a cage is a very high risk, but contact like preening is a 100% guaranteed infestation. The male had them first so the signs were visible sooner with him.
Yes scaly face mites also attack the feet so he's likely biting his feet because of the irritation. The blood on his beak could be from his feet - but you really need to talk to the vet. SF Mites can cause the beak to bleed, and I suspect the treatment from the vet isn't working - there shouldn't be any live active mites by now.
So both are being treated. I wasn't able to administer the medication myself so had to take him to a pet shop. While the male bird got medication administered by the vet right in front of me. So should I suspect that the pet shop guy did not really administer the medication properly to the female bird?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sorry, I made a little typo at the end of that post that makes it read wrong. Where I said
shouldn't be any live active mites by now.
I meant adult mites.
I'll assume the treatment is ivermectin as that's a very popular and effective treatment. It should be two drops directly to the skin (not the feathers) at the back of the neck. It works by spreading throughout the body so any feeding mites get a dose and die, leaving just the eggs. The second dose at 14 days is timed to kill off the mites from those remaining eggs before they are mature enough to lay their own eggs. So the chain gets broken and all the mites are gone.
Any variation from this will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment making it useless.
I would have expected after the first dose there would hardly be any activity at all as the feeding population would effectively be reduced to zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABM

ABM

Strolling the yard
Sorry, I made a little typo at the end of that post that makes it read wrong. Where I said

I meant adult mites.
I'll assume the treatment is ivermectin as that's a very popular and effective treatment. It should be two drops directly to the skin (not the feathers) at the back of the neck. It works by spreading throughout the body so any feeding mites get a dose and die, leaving just the eggs. The second dose at 14 days is timed to kill off the mites from those remaining eggs before they are mature enough to lay their own eggs. So the chain gets broken and all the mites are gone.
Any variation from this will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment making it useless.
I would have expected after the first dose there would hardly be any activity at all as the feeding population would effectively be reduced to zero.
Yes, the male shows lot of improvement around the beak and also itching reduced a lot in both. But the females eye area got my attention and I'm confused if it's mites or part of molting. I see black needle type hair but also that the area looks featherless like an infection. Vet had no appointment today but the pet shop guy said it looks like molting) nothing unusual. She isn't itching it but just her appearance got me thinking.

The medication is being given orally. 0.04ml by mouth. Two doses, 14days apart.

Hope this picture helps.

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse then she should see a vet.
It may just be that the pet shop guy applied the medication directly to the nare area (wrong) and we're seeing the oil in the feathers.
Personally I'd bite the bullet and give the second dose myself when it's due then another after another 14 days. Don't worry about upsetting your budgies, they'll get over it.

Reactions: ABM