• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crusty beak budgie

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
For your education

Scroll up or backwards

ABM

Strolling the yard
@Lady Jane

Great! Initially I was on the edge whether to use OTC medication or reach out to a vet. Glad I took them to the vet. Should see some improvement in a week or so I suppose.

Plan to disinfect the cage too with mite spray as both birds itching themselves constantly.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wonder if he's so itchy that he's just rubbing really hard against things and causing the bleeding?

Reactions: ABM

ABM

Strolling the yard
I wonder if he's so itchy that he's just rubbing really hard against things and causing the bleeding?
Ah! Yes that could be it with the feet.... How about the beak as well?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah! Yes that could be it with the feet.... How about the beak as well?
Are you sure the beak is actively bleeding and not just residue from him messing with his feet?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If nostril blocked I think you should have another vet visit to clear it because mites can travel to the lungs and then you have a much more serious problem. Since bird is on medication I would call the vet first as ask.

ABM

Strolling the yard
Are you sure the beak is actively bleeding and not just residue from him messing with his feet?
It's not actively bleeding and surprisingly I did not connect the two together. It could just be a residual from him messing around with his feet. Will keep an eye.

ABM

Strolling the yard
If nostril blocked I think you should have another vet visit to clear it because mites can travel to the lungs and then you have a much more serious problem. Since bird is on medication I would call the vet first as ask.

A picture I took off the other bird preening him... Now the Nostril looks fine, correct?
I have a vet visit scheduled for next week.

Attachments

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
when i got my first ever birds they were 2 budgies and had a really bad case of mites, i was on another forum at the time and someone told me to try vaseline (petrollium jelly).
i applied it on the crusty area with cotton tip everyday for a bit more than a week and the result was spectacular ! within a month everything was healed and healthy looking ^^
i later learned that the jelly will block the air supply for the mites and suffocate them killing them when a few days, then you have to be patient for the beak to heal

ABM

Strolling the yard
when i got my first ever birds they were 2 budgies and had a really bad case of mites, i was on another forum at the time and someone told me to try vaseline (petrollium jelly).
i applied it on the crusty area with cotton tip everyday for a bit more than a week and the result was spectacular ! within a month everything was healed and healthy looking ^^
i later learned that the jelly will block the air supply for the mites and suffocate them killing them when a few days, then you have to be patient for the beak to heal
Absolutely true! The pet store I went to told the same thing... I suppose the next time if I ever encounter such an event I might try that method. Longer process but works. As a first timer I don't want to take chances and went the vet route. Expensive but important.
Besides I can't dream of being able to get a hold of them "safely". Would have eventually had to take them somewhere ☺

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Absolutely true! The pet store I went to told the same thing... I suppose the next time if I ever encounter such an event I might try that method. Longer process but works. As a first timer I don't want to take chances and went the vet route. Expensive but important.
Besides I can't dream of being able to get a hold of them "safely". Would have eventually had to take them somewhere ☺
i understand !!! well when i found that option i didn't really have a choice, i was 15 years old they were my first birds and my parent's phylosophy was "you decided to get them then your mature enough to handle the expences that goes with owning and caring for two budgies" which in a way isn't a bad way of thinking. It's just that at 15 even though i worked a lot after school (gardens, baby sitting , pet sitting etc...) it wasn't enough to handle vet expences

Reactions: ABM

ABM

Strolling the yard
i understand !!! well when i found that option i didn't really have a choice, i was 15 years old they were my first birds and my parent's phylosophy was "you decided to get them then your mature enough to handle the expences that goes with owning and caring for two budgies" which in a way isn't a bad way of thinking. It's just that at 15 even though i worked a lot after school (gardens, baby sitting , pet sitting etc...) it wasn't enough to handle vet expences
Hats off! Kudos to you. Taking Responsibility early on. Yes something's we learn the hard way and thats not a bad thing most of the time.

These forums are great help to newbies and glad to be part of it.!

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
Hats off! Kudos to you. Taking Responsibility early on. Yes something's we learn the hard way and thats not a bad thing most of the time.

These forums are great help to newbies and glad to be part of it.!
i very much agree :cheer: :cheer: the first forum i was a member of was talkbudgies and then i found avianavenue while looking at cage setup ideas and i just love the community here and the fact that theres so muchinformation available !!

ABM

Strolling the yard
So....looks to me like while Pista is getting better, Birdie who was the healthy one, is getting the mites. The left picture is the latest taken today.

What do you think? Do the feathers look like there is some infection around the eyes? Besides she also lost her two tail feathers couple days back.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
So....looks to me like while Pista is getting better, Birdie who was the healthy one, is getting the mites. The left picture is the latest taken today.

What do you think? Do the feathers look like there is some infection around the eyes? Besides she also lost her two tail feathers couple days back.
Is she not being treated as well? That's how mites travel from bird to bird. Just sharing a cage is a very high risk, but contact like preening is a 100% guaranteed infestation. The male had them first so the signs were visible sooner with him.
Yes scaly face mites also attack the feet so he's likely biting his feet because of the irritation. The blood on his beak could be from his feet - but you really need to talk to the vet. SF Mites can cause the beak to bleed, and I suspect the treatment from the vet isn't working - there shouldn't be any live active mites by now.

Last edited: