• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure eating all budgies food

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Hi everyone,

I have a 5-year-old GCC (Koby) and just recently got a budgie (Helix) (that’s a whole other story). Koby (GCC) is on a pellet diet (with fresh veggies etc.) and he gets seed as a treat. However, Helix’s (budgie) diet is predominantly seed. They are getting along really well, except that Koby is eating all of Helix's food (don’t worry Helix is still getting fed, as I make sure he has time in the cage without Koby to eat). The main issue is that now Koby is getting permanent access to ‘treat’ food and preventing Helix from eating. I don’t know what to do, as I can’t just leave Helix without any food – especially if I’m not home. I tried putting something around the food dish that Koby couldn’t fit his head in, but that didn’t work.

Also, Koby’s appetite has increased exponentially, he’s now eating about 3 times as many pellets, as well as all of this seed. I would be concerned about that, except he’s the happiest he’s been in a long time.

I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions.
Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are the budgie and conure caged together? I am having trouble understanding how the conure is getting access to the Budgie food all the time.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Agree with the other answers, they shouldn't be caged together, and if you are not home they shouldn't be left together without supervision so each of them should be in their own cage. When they are out together you could close Helix's cage, just have a dish of water outside so he can drink.
By the way, Helix should also be on pellets instead of seeds. He doesn't need the high energy from seeds and could become too fat (see Miss_sj's post about just that )

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If Koby is eating Helix´s seeds while they are sharing out-of-cage time, then close the cages as they come out of them, this will stop them being allowed to enter each others homes. If they are out for a while, you can put Helix back in his cage for a short while to eat some seeds before allowing him to come back out again.

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
They are in the same cage and get along well.
I haven't left them alone unsupervised - I put Helix in a different cage if I'm not home.

Just wondering whether there were any ideas on how to stop Koby eating the seed when they're together (which is most of the time).

Last edited:

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Helix should also be on pellets instead of seeds. He doesn't need the high energy from seeds and could become too fat (see Miss_sj's post about just that
I read that budgies shouldn't be on pellet diets?
I will definitely check out the post.

He's still adjusting to his environment and won't even eat vegetables yet, so changing him to pellets would be really difficult - at least at the moment.

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii

I haven't left them alone unsupervised - I put Helix in a different cage if I'm not home.

Just wondering whether there were any ideas on how to stop Koby eating the seed when they're together (which is most of the time).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you put potato chips next to broccoli and tell a kid to eat one, which do you expect them to eat? ;)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Birds are really fast, if something happens you won't really have time to react, even if your eyes are glued on the cage all the time, which of course they are not. Helix would be safer in his own cage all the time, and they would socialize out of their cages when you are home. If something happens, Helix has room to fly away. In the cage he can't.
And then you've solved your seeds problem, but yes, budgies should be on pellets too, seeds are just too much energy they don't need, and they can become overweight.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you offer something that they can both eat when they're together? Some nice vegetables, sprouts and fruit would be suitable for both of them.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I would just say to get a separate cage for the budgie but if you do try to convert the budgie to pellets, make sure you gradually do it. Budgies are known to rather starve then eat pellets so weigh your budgie every day. Remember, this process could take months

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Welcome to AA! As previously mentioned I think you will need to keep them in seperate cages. :laugh:

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
I would just say to get a separate cage for the budgie but if you do try to convert the budgie to pellets, make sure you gradually do it. Budgies are known to rather starve then eat pellets so weigh your budgie every day. Remember, this process could take months
That's really really good to know. I remember how painful it was when I converted Koby (GCC), so knowing some budgies starve rather than eat them is really important info - patience will be key, haha.
Thank you so much!

Koby-GCC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jordii
Birds are really fast, if something happens you won't really have time to react, even if your eyes are glued on the cage all the time, which of course they are not. Helix would be safer in his own cage all the time, and they would socialize out of their cages when you are home. If something happens, Helix has room to fly away. In the cage he can't.
And then you've solved your seeds problem, but yes, budgies should be on pellets too, seeds are just too much energy they don't need, and they can become overweight.

The cage they are in is huge (it takes up most of my living room, haha) - so thankfully Helix is able to fly away if he needs to.
However, you make a very good point. I definitely won't leave them if I'm not home.

And okay great - thanks for the pellet info - I will start the process :)

:sglb::lbpied2::D

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
That's really really good to know. I remember how painful it was when I converted Koby (GCC), so knowing some budgies starve rather than eat them is really important info - patience will be key, haha.
Thank you so much!
You're welcome! I hope you do well with the converting!