• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confusing hormonal cockatiel

GinaXYZ

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gina
Hello everyone.

One and a half years ago I adopted an 8 year old (now 9) male cockatiel called Helge. He spent his whole life in one room with another male cockatiel but almost no interaction with humans or toys. The owner did try to do better but eventually gave up and gave the bird away after the other male cockatiel died. I don't know if they were bonded, but considering all they had was each other... They probably were.

I already had a female cockatiel that was incredibly tame from the beginning, while Helge was scared of basically everything. He didn't know a TV or that humans were actually nice. He did get better and now sits on me all the time and wants to spend time with us and explore, he has become a proper little curious boy!

Now to the problem... Him and the female (Knofi) mate all the time, but he also keeps attacking her. Until roughly a year ago she wanted to mate and went into her banana position near him, and he attacked her feet instead of mating. Now he actually does mate with her, but then he goes to look for nesting sites (I make sure he won't find any), but he keeps attacking knofi even though she's his "partner" .

They don't preen each other, he won't let her sit on the same perch and will scare her off, and if she gets close while he looks for a nest he kicks her out and then SWOOPS down at her, trying to scare her as far away as possible. She tends to then sit on me to try to hide from him.

Obviously I don't let him hurt her or anything, and he doesn't bite much anymore, but he still does all those other things. Mating but hating I call it lol.

I've done all the things that are commonly recommended like moving toys around and the layout of the cage, not giving as many fresh foods, limiting their outside and daylight hours, separating them... None of it works. He still just wants her gone, but when he doesn't see her he screams for her.

Is there any way to correct this behavior? Knofi aka the female always asks to be preened but all Helge does is attack. He does sing to her though.

I don't know what to do anymore because he just bullies her for no reason and no matter what we do, he's still just as hormonal. They don't have to absolutely love each other but it'd be great if he could just stop being so mean to her lol.

Thanks for reading and I hope I didn't make too many mistakes, English isn't my first language.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

It sounds like they need to be separated and only allowed to interact under supervision, otherwise there's a risk one might kill the other.

GinaXYZ

Real Name
Gina
Hello and welcome! :hello1:

It sounds like they need to be separated and only allowed to interact under supervision, otherwise there's a risk one might kill the other.
Thank you! I'm glad I've found a place where I can ask for advice on the lil boys behavior.

Do you think there's a way to get them accustomed to each other more? So that they'll start ignoring each other instead of fighting? The female has started fighting back a bit now, but I obviously separate them when they fight.

Helge is a very jealous little bird and tends to get very upset when knofi gets more attention and then they fight for my shoulder or something.

They've already come a long way, so I'm still hopeful that they'll eventually get along.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Thank you! I'm glad I've found a place where I can ask for advice on the lil boys behavior.

Do you think there's a way to get them accustomed to each other more? So that they'll start ignoring each other instead of fighting? The female has started fighting back a bit now, but I obviously separate them when they fight.

Helge is a very jealous little bird and tends to get very upset when knofi gets more attention and then they fight for my shoulder or something.

They've already come a long way, so I'm still hopeful that they'll eventually get along.
They might, eventually - but at this point, the way you've described them? I'd definitely separate. They could get better when they have their own spaces, and then only being together when they're both out will let them get better acclimated.

GinaXYZ

Real Name
Gina
They might, eventually - but at this point, the way you've described them? I'd definitely separate. They could get better when they have their own spaces, and then only being together when they're both out will let them get better acclimated.
I agree, their own space sounds definitely less stressful for them! Thank you for your reply, and I'll see how I can achieve their "divorce" :p. It's really easy to underestimate the amount of problems these little birds can have lol