• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confused

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
Can anyone please clear up weather or not 1- I should give my Budgies veggies and fruit atall
2- is lettuce a big no?

I have been told 2 things one being no vegetables atall and the other lettuce and celery are bad.
As I’m trying to get my little flock as healthy as possible I don’t want to hinder them in anyway.
They have proper seed, a pot of grit if wanted, cuttle, and I will give them a boiled egg with the shell crushed occasionally. Doesn’t look as nice as the fresh fruit and veg but whatever is best for them?
Any ideas for me?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Our budgies love veggies...they like just about any veggie we give them...fruits are less liked, and we don't give them as much of them as veggies.

Iceberg lettuce really isn't much of anything...the other dark lettuce varieties are good for budgies...we like to really soak the greens we give our guys...they will roll in the leaves before they eat them...we even had a budgie that wrapped himself up in the lettuce leaf and would begin to eat the leaf from the inside...going round and round...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Seeds are lacking in vital nutrients that birds need while being high in fat. Budgies do need some seed but they should also be given veggies :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Budgies do still need some veggies like other birds, plus seeds.

I like to use this write up to figure out which veggies are best to give over others: My Chop "Recipe"
I don´t bother with iceberg lettuce, celery or cucumber and I steer towards darker greens and then orange, red and yellow veggies.
Try a few different things and see what your birds like :)

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Basically lettuce and celery are not poisonous or particularly unhealthy, they are just nutritionally very "empty". If they really enjoy the texture of these foods then you are probably fine to offer them as a treat (especially if it helps convert them to eating healthier veg) but they shouldn't be a main part of their diet.

I feed my cockatiels veggie chop for breakfast, them seeds and ground-up pellets for the rest of the day. The pellets are still a work-in-progress though...

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Definitely offer them fresh veg :)
sprouts are good too and very easy to get budgies to eat.

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
Thank you all very much.
My little guy in particular loved his veg.
I did think they would need a varied diet.
I do wish these pet shops wouldn’t give out advice like its gospel.... clearly there no experts

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Some people that work in a pet shop really give bad advice and others are more knowledgeable. Best thing you could do for other customers is to report the bad information to the manager so they can and may provide education for their employees.

Generally speaking budgies do not like fruit much. Many of us make a chop if veggies and you can even sprinkle the top with millet seed. I am glad you asked this question so we could help out.

Beki lou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah Taylor
Some people that work in a pet shop really give bad advice and others are more knowledgeable. Best thing you could do for other customers is to report the bad information to the manager so they can and may provide education for their employees.

Generally speaking budgies do not like fruit much. Many of us make a chop if veggies and you can even sprinkle the top with millet seed. I am glad you asked this question so we could help out.
Thank you I’ve looked at the list and felt pretty confident I can wack a “chop” up.
Just a couple of questions
1-Do Brussel sprouts need to be cooked first before giving or can they be given whole raw.
2- With the frozen veggies to bulk up can I wait for them to thaw or do they need to be blanched?
3-The same as other veg this should be removed and made daily?
Thank you.
Also does anyone please know how long till I should see a improvement in my ino suspected with scaly face? She’s had 2 doses so far?
Thanks again, much appreciated

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have been told 2 things one being no vegetables atall and the other lettuce and celery are bad.
Whoever is giving you this advice, stop listening to them. They're clueless.
Basically lettuce and celery are not poisonous or particularly unhealthy, they are just nutritionally very "empty". If they really enjoy the texture of these foods then you are probably fine to offer them as a treat (especially if it helps convert them to eating healthier veg) but they shouldn't be a main part of their diet.

I feed my cockatiels veggie chop for breakfast, them seeds and ground-up pellets for the rest of the day. The pellets are still a work-in-progress though...
Yes most lettuce/celery is empty calories. The dark parts of Romaine lettuce is actually very nutritious and full of calcium.