• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cockatiels eat all toys

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
my cockatiels eat all of their toys, every single toy they tear up ends up ingested no matter how hard i try to deter them and give them vegetables in almost every form, is there any toys that are safe to ingest or what toys are recommended? i haven’t found anything edible besides one edible perch and i don’t particularly want them to have that, i also know about cinnamon sticks but that’s pretty much all. btw i’ve taken away all toys with string and rope on them since they came to my house.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's not food, it shouldn't be considered safe to consume. Can you put veggies on a stainless steel skewer, perhaps? Are you sure they are ingesting the toys? What is their normal diet like, and have they been seen by a vet? I ask as pica (eating non food items) can have a medical reason.

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
Try to get or make edible toys like a veggie kabob and maybe some indestructible toys like those made of stainless steel bells, hard wood and maybe some good quality plastic.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
If it's not food, it shouldn't be considered safe to consume. Can you put veggies on a stainless steel skewer, perhaps? Are you sure they are ingesting the toys? What is their normal diet like, and have they been seen by a vet? I ask as pica (eating non food items) can have a medical reason.
yes i’m sure they are i saw bits of the loofah toy i gave them in their poop and took every toy away after i see bits of toys gone but the bits are nowhere to be found, and they’re not interested in vegetables at all, and they came to me with only eating α seed (mainly sunflower seed) mix, i have them somewhat eating fruit zupreem pellets ik it isn’t the best but i can’t get them to eat anythjng else. i give them bee pollen and yarrow also but they don’t seem interested, i’ve tried to give them chop, vegetables on α skewer, on clips, fresh freeze dried and even cayenne powder and coconut oil over things because i know it makes things more enticing but nothing works, and no i’m trying my very best but the vet is hours away and the weathers been terrible plus it’s so beyond expensive (i know it’s my responsibility to take them no matter what but it’s hard when i rely on other people as i’m α minor and people around me don’t take things as seriously as i do). i’m trying to give them as much attention and stimulation as i can without ignoring my other birds as they can’t be in the same room because of quarantining them and it’s just so frustrating because it’s not being taken seriously my anyone around me and it makes me feel terrible.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Try to get or make edible toys like a veggie kabob and maybe some indestructible toys like those made of stainless steel bells, hard wood and maybe some good quality plastic.
thank you so much i’ll look into stainless steel toys, i feel terrible because i know they like shredding toys but i just can’t risk it

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
they also eat their poop and i clean almost every day and try and distract them and entertain them but i find myself constantly getting them up from trying to do that, that’s why i suspect like you said it’s pica, but it’s so hard to get things checked without any help at all:(

budgie2021

my cockatiels eat all of their toys, every single toy they tear up ends up ingested no matter how hard i try to deter them and give them vegetables in almost every form, is there any toys that are safe to ingest or what toys are recommended? i haven’t found anything edible besides one edible perch and i don’t particularly want them to have that, i also know about cinnamon sticks but that’s pretty much all. btw i’ve taken away all toys with string and rope on them since they came to my house.
Hi, my budgie had the same problem. I took away all his shredding toys and instead grabbed a stainless steel bell and put it in the bottom of a piece of broccoli. He really liked to play with the bell and shred away at the broccoli. It took him a while to get used to eating vegetables. He wouldn't eat it no matter how it was served (chop, whole etc.) I noticed he really likes anything that is in a stringy shape so I started getting him shredded carrots and he loved those. Maybe that something you could try, just put some sort of shredded vegetable in a clip.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Hi, my budgie had the same problem. I took away all his shredding toys and instead grabbed a stainless steel bell and put it in the bottom of a piece of broccoli. He really liked to play with the bell and shred away at the broccoli. It took him a while to get used to eating vegetables. He wouldn't eat it no matter how it was served (chop, whole etc.) I noticed he really likes anything that is in a stringy shape so I started getting him shredded carrots and he loved those. Maybe that something you could try, just put some sort of shredded vegetable in a clip.
wait that helps me so much thank you i’m excited now lol

1/2MoonMom

Meeting neighbors
Second the veggies-as-toys. Cooked broccoli stems make soft places in which to push seeds so they work as foraging, but also as extra food! Sometimes I will put pellets between the fronds of a raw broccoli piece too. Perhaps you could get shredded cabbage or carrot pieces and tie them to a popsicle stick or stainless steel stick so it's kinda like the foraging toys you buy at the store? Use spinach leaves to cover up any pellets or seeds so they have to forage through the leaves.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
Second the veggies-as-toys. Cooked broccoli stems make soft places in which to push seeds so they work as foraging, but also as extra food! Sometimes I will put pellets between the fronds of a raw broccoli piece too. Perhaps you could get shredded cabbage or carrot pieces and tie them to a popsicle stick or stainless steel stick so it's kinda like the foraging toys you buy at the store? Use spinach leaves to cover up any pellets or seeds so they have to forage through the leaves.
the thing is they hate working for anything (foraging) :( ive tried something like that it was like α 3 tier foraging cup thing and once they got it slightly opened theyd get frustrated and stop because they’ve never really had anything like that for their whole life before me, i think i may just stick to the carrot thing

budgie2021

wait that helps me so much thank you i’m excited now lol
No problem! If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they sell a shredded broccoli and carrot mix that you could put in a clip. Cabbage isn't so good for them cuz it has oxalic acid which can mess up their calcium levels, but broccoli is okay. I usually put the broccoli mix in a clip and then put a piece of broccoli with the bell. Good luck with your birds!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
they also eat their poop and i clean almost every day and try and distract them and entertain them but i find myself constantly getting them up from trying to do that, that’s why i suspect like you said it’s pica, but it’s so hard to get things checked without any help at all:(
My cockatiel eats his poop too It seems to be common in 'tiels. Do you have a grate to put at the bottom of the cage? I found that really helped Sunni.

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
My cockatiel eats his poop too It seems to be common in 'tiels. Do you have a grate to put at the bottom of the cage? I found that really helped Sunni.
i’m buying them α new cage asap, the cage i was given isnt in the best condition and doesn’t have α grate so i’m trying to baby it till i can get α new one very soon lol, thank you for letting me know that

isabella99

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
isabella
No problem! If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they sell a shredded broccoli and carrot mix that you could put in a clip. Cabbage isn't so good for them cuz it has oxalic acid which can mess up their calcium levels, but broccoli is okay. I usually put the broccoli mix in a clip and then put a piece of broccoli with the bell. Good luck with your birds!
i don’t :shocked4: i live in α small area lol but i’m sure i could try and find something at walmart or the health food store, thank you very much for your help i can’t wait to go tomorrow and try it out with them