• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel yawning?

Dreamika

Moving in
Real Name
Drea-Mika
Hello feathery friends,

I am just reaching out to get some opinions on my cockatiel Pandora. Today I saw her head bobbing and yawning but in a slightly different way. Normally she’ll do this in front of a mirror and kinda play with her reflection. Or she’s do it after she eats and share some food with me! How lucky I am! In these cases she is always very vocal and seems kinda up beat.

This evening she was just perched in her living room play area and doing it silently for about 4 minutes before I started filming. Since she has started up again while sitting on my chest and while I was removing my make up. I’m concerned she may be sick or over heating. Her feathers have also looked a little ruffled for the last 2 days. Maybe it’s all in my head, but she is my baby as I’m sure you understand.

I assumed I could upload the video. I can’t seem to do that. So I’ll just explain. It’s like when they throw up and bob there head up and open the beak. But like really slow and controlled and no vocalizing.

Any advice or opinions would be highly appreciated!

Dreamika

Moving in
Real Name
Drea-Mika
Im also not sure if this is the right thread. I’m new. I probably need a a point in the right direction on that front as well. Sorry in advance!

Dreamika

Moving in
Real Name
Drea-Mika

I put it on YouTube. Hopefully that helps with the advice giving!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Hmmmm.... looks to me she might be trying to adjust her crop? But I'm really not sure. I definitely don't think that's normal though. My instinct would be to book a vet appointment.... I'll tagged so people who could be more helpful @Mizzely @Zara

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It does look like crop adjustment but it's excessive, which concerns me. How does her breath smell?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's good! My first concern was perhaps a crop infection but that usually has a sour smell associated.

If she keeps doing this behavior though I'd definitely get her checked out... It's possible she has something stuck in there or she could still have the beginning of an infection. So hard to know!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree, it looks like she is adjusting her crop but it’s excessive. I think a check up is in order.

Dreamika

Moving in
Real Name
Drea-Mika
Thank you for your advice. I’ve gone ahead and scheduled a visit with our vet just to be on the safe side. I hope you have a great day! I’ll keep you updated after I find out more.