• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel suddenly hates me

MorrisS

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Morris
I’ve had my cockatiels not for a long time, but the one I’m talking about is the first one I got. Both of them don’t really like humans, me included. Recently I’ve spent more and more time with them and rocky, who was pretty traumatized when I got him was fine with stepping up and moving around. The other one is very scared bird, no one can touch him. Recently rocky suddenly flies away when I’m anywhere close to him and just does not want to return to their cage. I’ve tried luring with treats and other things but it won’t help. Apollo, my other cockatiel is always a bit afraid but doesn’t act different than normal. My parents want to cut their wings but I’m not for it if there are other options, but they just won’t go back in their cage or show signs of progression. Is there anything I’m doing wrong or just not sensing?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welcome2: Welcome, I'm sure others who can help will chime in soon!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I had that issue with my cockatiel in the past. You may need to get a bigger cage, my tiel was more accepting to be caged once he had a flight cage. I also made sure he was hungry. Seed dinner only inside his cage. So he looked forward to going back. If they are flying to a certain spot in the room, put something in the way, or shoo them away. It might also help to make sure they have things to play with on top and inside their cage.
That is what worked for me. My tiel just needed some time before he understood what I wanted him to do. Soon enough he was going in for smaller treats

Branch

Meeting neighbors
If Rocky is suddenly avoiding you, then you should think back about if you've (or anybody in your household) done anything to him that he didn't like or seemed to be scared of. A few examples might be chasing him around or forcing him to do something. If you didn't do anything, sometimes birds just have a period where it's not really looking forward to human interaction. I would say go a step back and interact with him in the cage again to get him comfortable again, or just give him some space.