• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel is starting to lose head feathers

cdraconik

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and just created an account because I can't seem to find an answer to a worry I have about one of my cockatiels.

In January, I adopted my first birds, two albino cockatiel females - Pistache and Coco. They're both wonderful birds, Coco is loud an affectionate, and Pistache prefers simple company over cuddles.

However, recently, Pistache has started to lose her head feathers (and she's now got a very small bald spot on her wing) and I don't know what is causing it. I give them about two hours of attention per day (their cage is also next to my workspace so I'm constantly around) - and I never catch her pulling her feathers out (also since it's the top of her head, I'm not quite sure how she would be reaching them).

Both my birds have the same food, water, and vitamin access, and Coco isn't losing any feathers to the point of it becoming visible. So, perhaps I need to change Pistache's diet?

The last cause for this I can think of, is that Coco is pulling out her feathers. They sometimes squabble (they often fight for my attention if I focus on only one at a time), and while they get along most of the time, sometimes Coco does start pecking(?) at Pistache.

If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated. (The pictures attached are Pistache's head)

- C.D

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! A small bald spot under the crest is fairly common for some mutations of cockatiels. The bald spot on the wing is different though. Are they caged together?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I personally would be guessing that she is not plucking herself but her mate is doing the plucking.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cockatiels all have natural bald spots under their crests. Nothing wrong with that. The bald spot by the ear is being plucked by the other bird.

Depending on exactly Where this bald spot under the wing is and what it looks like will determine what it is. Birds have natural bald spots all over their body. Can you get a picture of that?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This possibly could be damage from a 'night fright'. Do you sleep in the same room? Have you heard her thrashing about the cage at night?

cdraconik

Update: Pistache laid an egg this morning and will not let me near her, so I can't take a photo of her wing (but I double-checked and it seems to be on her joint - so I assume that's normal?).

I searched it up and females that don't have a male around can sometimes lay eggs, but I'm not sure what type of behaviour I should look out for. Pistache so far has hissed at me every time I approached the cage, so I'm opting to leave them both alone for now. I read that cockatiels generally lay 4-6 eggs per clutch, and so far Pistache has only laid one - is there anything that I should do to ensure nothing wrong happens?

cdraconik

This possibly could be damage from a 'night fright'. Do you sleep in the same room? Have you heard her thrashing about the cage at night?
I also do sleep in the same room as them, and the most noise I hear is them shifting slightly.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I also do sleep in the same room as them, and the most noise I hear is them shifting slightly.
I am not trying to tell you what to do by any means, but just wanted you to be aware that cockatiels produce a large amount of dander. Constantly breathing this in while you sleep can damage your lungs. It is commonly called bird fancier's lung, but it is actually a type of hypersensitivity pneumonitis .

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The spot on wing *might* be normal.

Are you sure they are both females?