UPDATE FROM AVIAN VET:
So the Vet called me today and informed me that his culture results look normal. No gram negative bacteria. He did have Strep and Staph bacteria grow, which is normal in birds. However the vet said that they could cause infection in stressed out birds, and that I should start him on the Cipro now since I already waited for the results to come back.
I don’t get it. Strep and Staph is normal, but COULD cause infection? Shouldn’t starting antibiotics be a strong yes or no? Not a “could” cause infection?
Im very hesitant to be honest to start him on the Cipro. He’s already been on 4 courses of it on and off this year alone. He seems to be doing fine. I feel like sometimes Vets prescribe these antibiotics like candy. In this case, it’s a preventative measure, but I’m wondering if I should just monitor him and see how he’s doing?
I don’t mean to second guess the Vet, but maybe I should get another avian Vet’s opinion?
What do you guys think?