• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel Aspirating?

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I have a 7 year old cockatiel who seems to be aspirating sometimes when he drinks water. Basically, it’s like this wet/gurgly exhale sound, as if there’s water in his upper respiratory tract. It goes away on its own after 3 minutes or so. Sometimes I hear him do it one time or 2 times and then stop. This goes on maybe once every few days.

It also sometimes happens when he gets misted in the shower.

Now I should add that one of his nostrils was blocked with dried dander/dust, which he finally was able to sneeze out.

I also want to add that he’s not a huge fan of pellets, but when I warm them in hot water, and make them into a mashed, watery consistency, he will eat them.

Anyone else have any experience with this?I’m planning on taking him to the vet this week - but just wanted some insight. Should I be concerned?

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
You would want to take him into the vet ASAP. The fluid in his respiratory system can turn into a infection since they have no way to expelling the fluid. I had a baby Tiel that had the same thing and the vet will just give you some antibiotics.