• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockateil and weed

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ok guys
Thanks for all the input. Actually that's what I expected (4 pages of enough comments to make my friend and goods friends ashamed. ... assuming that they stop doing it)
(My friend is already ashamed of what he did)
Just to clarify. . He mixed the leaves with seeds . But still that was bad really bad I agree.

Once again apologies for making you guys hyper and also you had read that bad thing which done on the sweetest bird species by dick fiend ( since I love far away from his city so couldn't stop him)
Do not apologize. It is an important subject and needs to be discussed.
Heck this thread wasn't even close to how hyper they can get on this forum.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
jitin02 I can't believe that you posted this question. If it is harmful to humans of course it is harmful to birds and other animals. I wonder if your the friend who gave it to them. I would worry posting something like that.......the police might be able to trace you or them. Its animal abuse and punishable by law. Think twice next time.
He lives in India

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why waste it on a bird when you can enjoy it? ;)
OP came here to receive info so he could help his friend's bird. It bothers me that you'd making such a "joke" at a bird's health.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I shall now wander off to any other subject before I tell someone to either "stuff a sock in it" (my mother's term) or to quote Archie Bunker "Stifle it". Nite nite, all, pleasant (straight as in uninfluenced) dreams.

Otherwise, I'll end up in here :mariesshed: though I've heard it's been redone in the past year or so ... :devil:

Last edited:

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
I think it's kind of sad how the older generation is so scared of and against marijuana. Not to start a debate on "drugs" but it'd be a good idea for you all to really research this before listening to the crap that the dea and other "people" spew out about marijuana.

OP came here to receive info so he could help his friend's bird. It bothers me that you'd making such a "joke" at a bird's health.
lighten up pigster it's ok it was just a joke! I laughed :lol:

@GlassOnion thank you for the articles I agree that so many human drugs and drugs formulated for dogs and cats are used on parrots so medical marijuana should be researched next! It could open up so many doors and make birds and animals feel better without the nasty side effects. which could be considered "animal cruelty" itself haha. So nice to have a like minded person that is open to the benefits of medical MJ!

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I actually posted that very same link earlier :D

:lol: Ooops!

The OP's friend was very irresponsible to toss weed in with bird seed. NO drug, I don't care if it's antibiotics or some herbal supplement, should ever be given to any animals without the direction of a vet.

On a side note, I do know of several people that have given their dogs small amounts to help with pain and vomiting. This was after several different pain killers were tried first and it was actually suggested by the vet. These were Great Danes with osteosarcomas. I'm not advocating for it's use in birds obviously, but I have personally seen it used successfully in dogs. These were terminally ill dogs that were able to live out their life pain free. They were also not high, no balance issues, and certainly weren't hallucinating. They did not act any differently except that the pain was much more manageable.

Obviously birds have a much different way of metabolizing and digesting so it's possible they could have very negative side effects from it, and dosing a 150g bird would be a lot harder than a 175lb Great Dane. Just my 2 cents :D after all many medicines do come from plants, so I find it hard to discriminate against THC when I have seen some positives from it.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's kind of sad how the older generation is so scared of and against marijuana. Not to start a debate on "drugs" but it'd be a good idea for you all to really research this before listening to the crap that the dea and other "people" spew out about marijuana.

lighten up pigster it's ok it was just a joke! I laughed :lol:

@GlassOnion thank you for the articles I agree that so many human drugs and drugs formulated for dogs and cats are used on parrots so medical marijuana should be researched next! It could open up so many doors and make birds and animals feel better without the nasty side effects. which could be considered "animal cruelty" itself haha. So nice to have a like minded person that is open to the benefits of medical MJ!
I'm definty not the older generation. :roflmao:
I do not feel that I was overreacting. On a humor thread? Maybe I'd chuckle. But the setting was not appropriate.

birdle

I'm definty not the older generation. :roflmao:
I do not feel that I was overreacting. On a humor thread? Maybe I'd chuckle. But the setting was not appropriate.
lol I did not think so!! It just sucks though though how uneducated and ignorant some older adults can be.. my mom included (no offense mom!) she sends me emails all the time about how pot is lethal and stuff I just shake my head. She doesn't even want to open her eyes and see the medical benefits, while my dad is all for it. it's so weird! but part of it is my moms from China so she wasn't ever exposed to it I dont think.

But I do get why you're upset maybe it wasn't the right place for a joke maybe it was a lil tasteless but @Thatdude596 I laughed :)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not exactly the same, but my friend sold one of her Cockatiel’s to a woman’s son, little did my friend know though, that the poor Cockatiel was actually going to be used for the son’s entertainment – he smoked marijuana every day, and said Cockatiel was kept in his bedroom. This Cockatiel was having marijuana blown in its face every single time he had a cone (the Cockatiel, by the end, had apparently been falling off of the perch, and acting like it was out of it, which to him, was funny) … anyway, my friend eventually found out and got the Cockatiel back, she told me, it wasn’t the same Cockatiel that she sold to him, and still, to this day, it is not the same one, it is now petrified of people and cage bound.

jitin02

Sprinting down the street
Not exactly the same, but my friend sold one of her Cockatiel’s to a woman’s son, little did my friend know though, that the poor Cockatiel was actually going to be used for the son’s entertainment – he smoked marijuana every day, and said Cockatiel was kept in his bedroom. This Cockatiel was having marijuana blown in its face every single time he had a cone (the Cockatiel, by the end, had apparently been falling off of the perch, and acting like it was out of it, which to him, was funny) … anyway, my friend eventually found out and got the Cockatiel back, she told me, it wasn’t the same Cockatiel that she sold to him, and still, to this day, it is not the same one, it is now petrified of people and cage bound.
Silly ppl
That guy should be hanged till death :mad:

Last edited:

birdle

That's really sad.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
I'm not trying to throw stones here, but one thing that we need to remember is that any substance with possible pharmaceutical effects is going to affect an animal based on its mass. The average 'tiel is about 120 grams. That is almost 1000 times smaller than a human. I wouldn't want to expose a tiel to marijuana seed, only because on the off chance that it would get eaten, even a small amount might be toxic. It's the same reason why chocolate is toxic. If we ate an amount proportionate to what a 'tiel might eat, we'd be dead, too!

Being a little optimistic, I don't think your friend was intentionally trying to hurt his 'fids. That being said, he needs to keep them in a smoke-free environment. We smoke at home, but not in the apartment. Your friend also needs to at least wash his hands before handling the 'tiels, because the residue from the weed will be on them (just like for tobacco).

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
All of you people acting like you know animals but prolly don't know a damn thing.
Really? That's a great frame of mind for making new friends.
You do realise in your urgency to give marijuana a good name you've dragged up a thread that's been dead for over 5 years? Or did you only sign up here to make this one point?
Your Tiel lived to 13 years nibbling weed? That's great. Marvelous. She could have made 30 without it.

Last edited:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
You do realise in your urgency to give marijuana a good name you've dragged up a thread that's been dead for over 5 years? Or did you only sign up here to make this one point?
Not to mention this gem:

Take a dog for instance, if a dog has seizure and you give it cbd oil it will help your dog relax. All of you people acting like you know animals but prolly don't know a damn thing.
Sure, CBD has some promising research showing its benefits, though research has shown that low bioavailability in oral CBD in dogs renders it practically useless. Regardless, anyone with a modicum of knowledge on the subject knows that CBD and marijuana/THC are two very different beasts. Not to mention the fact that the way that animals react to THC is more akin to you being slipped a drug in your drink - they don't understand what they're experiencing or why.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Mmmm, smells fishy.
New member, uses weed, feeds his pets weed, had a Tiel live 13 years nibbling the occasional bit of weed.
I'll call him out now as a TROLL!

Tiel lover

Strolling the yard
I just stumbled across this thread and don’t know what to think.