• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockateil and weed

jitin02

Sprinting down the street
Is it harmful for them? ?
My friend just have it to goods pair of teils and they kept whistling for sometime lol

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
as in m arijuana? of course it is not good for them. not in the least bit amusing. In fact, it is very harmful for their lungs as is cigarette smoking.

jitin02

Oopps sorry guys
I know my friend being dick .. I will explain him this.
Thanks good my teils ate healthy as I quite smoking 7 months back lol

jitin02

@Anne & Gang
I know this that's why I m giving it to my teils
I only made this thread so that he should know as he was not believing me

Btw can you please check one of my other thread I asked question about string

jitin02

That dick gave them mixed in seed:mad:

jitin02

Thanks to all your comments
He agreed and kind of ashamed of what he did :)

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I am glad you said something!

When I was 15 or so, I remember some kids laughing about blowing marijuana smoke into a parrot's face. That is forever imprinted in my mind, I think it is because I didn't speak up.

I know a woman who used to breed greys. One of the greys was returned to her, it belonged to the woman's husband (husband bought the grey from the breeder). She returned it because she could no longer stand the abuse he was doing to the poor bird. The husband would get the bird stoned and laugh :sad1: Now the bird constantly shakes, is blind, can't perch due to being partially paralyzed. She stopped breeding after that.

Anyway, like I said, I am glad you thought to ask, and said something.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
jitin02 I can't believe that you posted this question. If it is harmful to humans of course it is harmful to birds and other animals. I wonder if your the friend who gave it to them. I would worry posting something like that.......the police might be able to trace you or them. Its animal abuse and punishable by law. Think twice next time.
omg guys. I think you're being a little harsh. the guy said he wasn't the one that did that so let him off the hook a little. the smoke wasn't blown into their faces it was mixed in with their seed and while it's probably not good for them at all I don't think any thing bad will happen. THC is fat soluble and only if it was ingested like cooked in a brownie will it have an effect. I don't think it's kind to point fingers. And honestly the police don't give a sh** about animal abuse and I doubt they'd be checking this forum.

Now on the other note yea don't give your birds weed to eat because most likely there haven't been any studies on birds eating straight up marijuana buds and honestly it doesn't seem like it'd be healthy at all. I hope your friend thinks twice next time.

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
First of all, I think everyone is jumping on OP without proper knowledge. No one was smoking around the cockatiel to get him high, it was a few leaves mixed in with seed.

You can't really get high from ingesting raw cannabis as THC is activated with heat. Sure, it is possible..but you would need to consume a disgusting amount to do so. It's very unlikely that the cockatiel ate any to begin with, as cockatiels are picky eaters and would rarely eat anything new mixed in with bird seed. But say he did, he would have needed to consume a LOT to even feel anything, which again is highly unlikely. And even if a little was ingested, it is not the end of the world and there was no harm done. The cannabis plant has numerous, well recorded medical and nutritional properties and is even recommended by a physician that drinking cannabis juice regularly can be extremely beneficial. Is Juicing Raw Cannabis the Miracle Health Cure That Some of Its Proponents Believe It to Be? | Alternet

I would worry if this was smoke, but it is not. Second hand cigarette smoke is WAY worse and absolutely awful to birds as it is filled with carcinogens and toxic chemicals, but if bird owners can smoke outside and bring back the residue for their birds to inhale and have them still be okay, I don't know why everyone is so furious over a few leaves of pot.

Also keep in mind that veterinary marijuana (via edibles or vapor) is getting more recognized these days as it is proving to be quite mentally and physically beneficial to animals. So I wouldn't automatically consider "getting an animal high=cruelty" as a stoned animal does not necessarily equate to a distressed animal

Dear @jitin02 - please don't allow your friends to smoke or burn anything around your bird as it can and will kill your cockatiel. I would be pretty unhappy about mixing cannabis with the food too, even if it didn't cause any harm. Any sort of smoke, cologne, air fresheners, things like febreeze will kill your bird. Even a burning non-stick Teflon pan can kill your bird in a matter of seconds. Please remove any of these so your bird can be healthy and safe. Birds are SO sensitive that it is important we remove these chemicals from their environment.

As for diet, a seed diet will cause malnutrition and liver/kidney disease. Please change his diet to something better if he is eating a seed diet because he will get sick and die young. A varied diet of parrot pellets, fresh veggies especially leafy greens like broccoli, kale, etc, some cooked grains, and SOME seed will do best. There are many resources to help with converting diet on this forum, you can always ask any questions you have. You can also message me with any concerns and I will try to help.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Guys, someone asked a question about a friend's birds. Helpful info would be good, lambasting someone who is apparently trying to help isn't going to get the birds in question any help at all. AND until we are given the real story, none of us are in a position to judge. Keep in mind some people who were trusted to be telling the truth on AA were way out of the box.

Give someone new a chance and some help until you know that they are out-and-out lying.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road

Also keep in mind that veterinary marijuana (via edibles or vapor) is getting more recognized these days as it is proving to be quite mentally and physically beneficial to animals. So I wouldn't automatically consider "getting an animal high=cruelty" as a stoned animal does not necessarily equate to a distressed animal
I had no clue that there was veterinary marijuana usage are there any articles you could direct me to that is so interesting to me but also makes sense as I am one of the people who have experienced a better quality of life using.