• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockateil and weed

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
While I agree that the idea of getting animals inebriated can cause negative, instinctive reactions, veterinary marijuana has so far shown to be incredibly effective when conventional medicine did not work.. Just like medical marijuana for humans. I just don't think that it is fair to assume that all substances around our pets is animal cruelty, because that is simply not true.

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I do not have an opinion either way here but I am curious, was it the pot seeds or the leaf? I do wonder because hemp seeds used to be in a very high quality seed mix I used to purchase years ago now. I had a friend once who used to swear that it helped his birds arthritis to consume marijuana seeds. I really don't know but before the seeds were included in his diet he would always lay on the bottom of cage and only move slowly and painfully, after their inclusion he was able to perch again. I was just happy the bird got some relief I tried not to judge his motives once I saw the result. Also the bird never seemed " stoned " to me just out of most of his pain. Just an observation not an opinion.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do not have an opinion either way here but I am curious, was it the pot seeds or the leaf? I do wonder because hemp seeds used to be in a very high quality seed mix I used to purchase years ago now. I had a friend once who used to swear that it helped his birds arthritis to consume marijuana seeds. I really don't know but before the seeds were included in his diet he would always lay on the bottom of cage and only move slowly and painfully, after their inclusion he was able to perch again. I was just happy the bird got some relief I tried not to judge his motives once I saw the result. Also the bird never seemed " stoned " to me just out of most of his pain. Just an observation not an opinion.
Wanted to mention, hemp /= marijuana. A common misunderstanding :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
"While growing hemp in the United States is illegal, possessing and selling it is not. There are many strains of hemp that may produce little or no hemp, while others contain large amounts. The strains of Cannabis Sativa that contain high levels of THC are considered marijuana, which is in fact illegal. Industrial hemp is grown differently and is made from different parts of the plant, making them genetically completely different plants. Hemp is also known as an “anti-marijuana” plant as it contains cannabinoid, or CBD, which actually blocks the marijuana high. Over 30 industrialized democracies distinguish marijuana from hemp and allow for the importation of hemp, according to the NAFTA."
Hemp Products and Hemp Benefitsc

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Hemp seeds are Gussie's favorite seeds. I have been giving them to her as a treat ever since I read that GCCs eat them in the wild. The ones available for birds have been pasteurized so they can't be sprouted or grown.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I don't want to confuse anyone. Although I thought hemp seeds were very close to marijuana thanks for sorting that out. However the seeds that my friend would feed to his bird that relieved his arthritis symptoms was marijuana. He didn't smoke the stuff himself and didn't buy the leaf at all just the seeds for his bird.

GlassOnion

I don't want to confuse anyone. Although I thought hemp seeds were very close to marijuana thanks for sorting that out. However the seeds that my friend would feed to his bird that relieved his arthritis symptoms was marijuana. He didn't smoke the stuff himself and didn't buy the leaf at all just the seeds for his bird.
Whether or not the plant has been engineered to be unviable and lack THC, it still has many nutritional and medical benefits for both humans and animals alike. I feed hemp seed to my guys as well. :)

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There are numerous legal, well researched drugs that address the issues associated with arthritis. My Jasper has severe arthritis and it is managed without dosing her with drugs that are not researched and do not effect her balance and mental state.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is not what I want to expose my bird to.

Psychological Effects of Marijuana
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the main effects of marijuana on mood vary and may include euphoria, calmness, anxiety, or paranoia. Getting high or "stoned" is the reason most pot smokers use marijuana.

Other short-term psychological effects of pot include:

• Distorted sense of time
  • Paranoia
  • Magical or "random" thinking
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Anxiety and depression
These psychological signs of using pot also generally ease after a few hours. But residual effects can last for days.
Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I am just going to refrain from this topic from now on. I am relating a situation where the friend's parrot in question was ill on the vet's traditional medication and this is what my friend did to alleviate his beloved bird's severe debilitating pain. He tried marijuana seeds because he was told it may help and it did. I think I made it clear that although it really seemed to give him relief I never witnessed the bird I am referring to as weaving on his perch or any sign of inebriation. My friend was trying to relieve his pets pain when nothing else was able to not do some nasty party trick. I didn't mean to offend anyone or get anyone's anything in a twist. Just so you know I will never speak of it again this side of hades, have a great day.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hemp is also used to make rope Hemp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and to make hand lotions - the latter I know because I have two bottles of a product called Hempz and I am quoting "enriched with 100% pure natural hemp seed oil" and on the back, in the information about this triple moisture lotion it states (in bold type) " THC Drug Free".

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Mariannee - do you expect everyone to agree with you? You should always contribute your own opinion to a conversation. I certainly prefer clinical evidence rather than anecdotal stories, but I'm not everyone.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I am just going to refrain from this topic from now on. I am relating a situation where the friend's parrot in question was ill on the vet's traditional medication and this is what my friend did to alleviate his beloved bird's severe debilitating pain. He tried marijuana seeds because he was told it may help and it did. I think I made it clear that although it really seemed to give him relief I never witnessed the bird I am referring to as weaving on his perch or any sign of inebriation. My friend was trying to relieve his pets pain when nothing else was able to not do some nasty party trick. I didn't mean to offend anyone or get anyone's anything in a twist. Just so you know I will never speak of it again this side of hades, have a great day.
I'm not offended, this is not against you - medical marijuana has only recently (and by that I mean in the past 20 years probably) started being used for humans and, if it works for humans, why wouldn't it work for birds? I don't mean smoking it. Medications prescribed for some of my birds are actually human meds - eye drops for one bird, gout medication for another and DMG for a couple more.

And no, I do not mean to suggest that we should all start administering aspirin and cough medicine to our birds because it works for us either. A certain amount of common sense does come in handy. :banghead: :banghead:

Last edited:

GlassOnion

I don't know about the rest of you, but this is not what I want to expose my bird to.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the main effects of marijuana on mood vary and may include euphoria, calmness, anxiety, or paranoia. Getting high or "stoned" is the reason most pot smokers use marijuana.

Other short-term psychological effects of pot include:

• Distorted sense of time
  • Paranoia
  • Magical or "random" thinking
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Anxiety and depression
These psychological signs of using pot also generally ease after a few hours. But residual effects can last for days.
Marijuana - Marijuana Use and Effects of Marijuana
I don't think anyone here is encouraging getting birds high for fun.

I think dosage is important for medical usage. I have posted links regarding the success of veterinary marijuana, one of which is published by the American Veterinary Medical Association and the other is written by a vet who says she has only seen 100% positive reactions with the use of it in her patients.

The reason that doctors and veterinarians use it is because it can be incredibly effective WITHOUT the risks of overdose, addiction, organ damage, etc and the expense commonly associated with conventional pharmaceutical drugs. The dangers aforementioned are serious issues with our current pharmaceutical industry, and I am sure the veterinary field suffers from them as well.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I strongly disagree with your opinion of THC. But that is much better than just quiting.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Though my post has a link "request rejected" if you click on it it will take you to a dea site that explains what parts of a cannabis plant have/do not have THC. :geek:

jitin02

Sprinting down the street
Ok guys
Thanks for all the input. Actually that's what I expected (4 pages of enough comments to make my friend and goods friends ashamed. ... assuming that they stop doing it)
(My friend is already ashamed of what he did)
Just to clarify. . He mixed the leaves with seeds . But still that was bad really bad I agree.

Once again apologies for making you guys hyper and also you had read that bad thing which done on the sweetest bird species by dick fiend ( since I love far away from his city so couldn't stop him)