• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Co-parented birds

HeyBudgie

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jay
Hi! I was looking up the pros and cons of a parent-raised vs handfed birds, and I kept seeing that co-parented birds (birds who are raised by their parents but were still handled frequently by humans) tend to be more adjusted as pets and are better psychologically as they get older. Has anyone had an experience with a co-parented bird?

Also, does anyone know a breeder who coparents? It’s seems pretty hard to find.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I only know of two who practiced co-parenting: Laney Rickman and Kashmir Czaky. Laney Rickman was committed to BTM conservation and co-parented some clutches. However, she passed away several years ago. Kashmir raises hyacinths and scarlet macaws. I don't think she's currently breeding, but I could be wrong.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Laney Rickman was committed to BTM conservation and co-parented some clutches. However, she passed away several years ago.
Laney was an amazing person. She was knowledgeable, kind and always willing to share information. It was a pleasure to have met her. Her foundation to support blue-throats in the wild still exists fortunately.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I spoke to her several times but never met her. Her love for a species was unparalleled. The survival of BTMs will largely be due to her efforts. Too bad the ESA has severely hurt captive propagation in our country. She'd have fought it if she'd realized it would inhibit breeding.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I went to a lecture that she gave, and then she was gracious enough to speak with me about her flock of blue throats.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I only know of two who practiced co-parenting: Laney Rickman and Kashmir Czaky. Laney Rickman was committed to BTM conservation and co-parented some clutches. However, she passed away several years ago. Kashmir raises hyacinths and scarlet macaws. I don't think she's currently breeding, but I could be wrong.
You can find Kashmir Czaky on the International Celebration of Birds on Facebook.