• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cleaning House Habits?

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
So anyone who has larger birds, especially the powder down birds like cockatoos, probably know how much dander happens EVERYWHERE. Everywhere I turn there's either a down feather or a small pile of dandruff and fluff. I clean a few times a week and it still manages to clog up heaters and fans and whatnot. Anyone who owns a powder down have any tips, tricks, or cleaning advice? Mr. Jolly already gets a shower about every other day, but still takes it as a personal challenge to shed more. So far the cleaning consists of Birch (my parakeet) and Jolly (Triton cockatoo) being cleaned twice a week to their cages and also the whole room being sprayed down at the same time (don't like dusting since it kicks up too much dander. I already dont like using the vacuum but it must be done so any other anti dusting tactics would be great).
Just figured this would be a good place to ask :mop:

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use an air purifier, it helps collect some of the dust from the cockatiels. Not much you can do I guess, other than sweeping and wiping down surfaces with a wet paper towel!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Perhaps a really powerful vacuum? I have to shop vacs and love them, they suck up anything. Not too sure if that is any use for you, but thought I would mention. I really can’t imagine having birds that dusty, hope you figure out something to make cleaning more easy!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Get a few really good HEPA air filters

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's not helpful in preventing dust, but when I clean I've been getting a lot of use out of my leftover masks.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Air purifier is absolutely the way to go.

To any bird keeper, I would list a strong air purifier as a MUST BUY!

We bought one when we moved into our house, and I wish we had bought it sooner! Every time my birds fly a lap around the room, the air purifier kicks into high gear.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
the vacuum cleaner is your best friend. It really makes a difference.