• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Chew-thru resistant (and safe!) rope

AraSevera

Moving in
Real Name
Lori
Hi!
Does anyone know of a type of rope that is somewhat chew-resistant (and of course, safe) for a cockatoo and macaw environment?

I’ve been using various thickness of sisal - and even that reed grass (not sure what it’s officially called). I braid and weave it into platforms and ladders b/t branches - but my hard work is destroyed in less than 3 days (which is a GOOD thing - my 30yr old ‘too needs to chew) but she always chews what she’s standing on - then falls.

I’d love to find an alternative to the rope I use now - I really enjoy making parts of their environment but it’s very time consuming and I’d like at least a week to let the cuts on my hands heal before I have to make another piece.

Thanks in advance.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I can't offer ideas for chew resistant rope when it comes to macaw and cockatoo beaks -- that's stainless steel chain territory.

We can delay the inevitable by using larger diameter ropes, such as this 2" variety, but that simply slows the process and provides additional opportunity to observe a break before it happens.

she always chews what she’s standing on - then falls
That said, this problem could also be addressed by fortifying connection points through the addition of multiple independent redundant strands and links.

Using these as an example, one of my guys did exactly what you described, but that fall risk was mitigated by using more attachment points, rather than just one ones they provided.

Perhaps there's a way of threading stainless steel cord through the core of the rope so its integrity is preserved.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

AraSevera

Moving in
Real Name
Lori
I can't offer ideas for chew resistant rope when it comes to macaw and cockatoo beaks -- that's stainless steel chain territory.

We can delay the inevitable by using larger diameter ropes, such as this 2" variety, but that simply slows the process and provides additional opportunity to observe a break before it happens.

That said, this problem could also be addressed by fortifying connection points through the addition of multiple independent redundant strands and links.

Using these as an example, one of my guys did exactly what you described, but that fall risk was mitigated by using more attachment points, rather than just one ones they provided.

Perhaps there's a way of threading stainless steel cord through the core of the rope so its integrity is preserved.
Thanks for the input. I want them to chew - just not chew all the way through in 6 hours. Delay is good.

AraSevera

Moving in
Real Name
Lori
Try Polly Rope. It comes in 1/8", 1/4" & 3/16" & several different colors:

This site also carries it: Paulie Polly Rope Polyethylene Plastic Cordage

I melt the ends with a hot glue gun. I also make extra knots. It seems to last a lot longer than other ropes.

Otherwise I'd use SS chain.
Thanks for linking to this site! I have never come across this store in my 30+ years of being owned by parrots!
I want them to engage with their environment - a chain would be a sad thing for them to stand on all day.