• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can't get over his tragìc passing

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
Hello. I am new to the forum. My beloved Amazon passed 10 weeks ago. My partner let him out of his cage whilst I was at work, as we do when we are here, but then my partner went out and forgot to shut 'Jingles' cage door. My new rescue dog was out. My partner returned home...just feathers and two sml patches of blood!!!! He said he completely forgot to shut the cage door!! It has been torture ever since. I miss Jingles so much. I got him when he was 4 months old...he was 17 years old. I can't get used to him not being here...we have been through a lot together...he is my heart bird. It haunts me every minute that he was in pain and was wondering where I was!! I don't even know if it was over quickly. I can hardly bear it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m so sorry for your loss Chrissie, I can´t even imagine how heartbroken you must be :(

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'm so sorry - I can imagine your torment. Your boyfriend must feel terrible about it... Hard things to get through.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m so very sorry to hear of your loss of Jingles :sorrow:
I hope that in time the wonderful memories you have made with him take away some of your pain and help you to heal :sadhug2:

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I am so very sorry to hear about Jingles. Please focus on the good times that you two had together, and maybe in time you can reach out to another bird in need of a good home.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
:sorrow:I'm so very sorry. I can only image what you are going through, it is truly a nightmare. Do you talk to him? I truly believe they are still with us, and in my case it made me feel better to still tell my babies everything I thought they needed to know...or what I needed to say. I wish I could tell you how to mend the huge hole in your heart. :sad7:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Oh my, how sad, tragic and an accident with everlasting grief. I am so very sorry.

If you don't mind me asking, what species was he?

:greet14:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh my god how awful! I can only imagine your sorrow for your poor sweetie. I’m so very sorry.
:sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Dorcas George

Rollerblading along the road
Oh, that is awful! I’m so sorry. Poor Jingles...and you...and boyfriend. :sorrow:

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
:sorrow:I'm so very sorry. I can only image what you are going through, it is truly a nightmare. Do you talk to him? I truly believe they are still with us, and in my case it made me feel better to still tell my babies everything I thought they needed to know...or what I needed to say. I wish I could tell you how to mend the huge hole in your heart. :sad7:

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
I hate to ask but does anyone know if it would have been quick...it's the thought of him suffering that torments me the most. I named him Mr Jingles after the little mouse in the film..The Green Mile...because of the long life he should have had.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
No one can answer for certain but at a guess I’d say your bird suffered minimally.
I’ve never seen a bird last long after being grabbed by a dog regardless of the dogs size or intent to harm.
I don’t know how to put it so it doesn’t sound harsher than it need be but I am having trouble softening the blow, I’m sorry- I’ll try my best to give you an understanding of what I am familiar with.
Unless the dog was specially trained to be extra gentle (like bird retrieving and other certain hunting dogs) on the prey it grabbed then I dare say it would have been quite fast for your bird.
Going by your description I would guess it all would have been over before your bird really knew what was even happening. A dog that eats what it caught and leaves little mess behind sounds a little skilled in hunting so would not have been playing.
My current dog actually had her first kill the other day and as she had no idea what she was doing other than following her instincts to chase it was not as fast a death as I would have liked for the other critter involved. My dog who recently passed away was quite skilled at catching things and his skills were such that a rabbit would be completely gone within less than five seconds of being caught.

I’m so sorry and I hope this helps take some of the torment away for you. I feel awful sharing this but my belief is your bird went faster than you’re imagining. Out of any animal I’ve seen being hunted birds last the least amount of time once a dog has them.

Tilly123

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chrissie
No one can answer for certain but at a guess I’d say your bird suffered minimally.
I’ve never seen a bird last long after being grabbed by a dog regardless of the dogs size or intent to harm.
I don’t know how to put it so it doesn’t sound harsher than it need be but I am having trouble softening the blow, I’m sorry- I’ll try my best to give you an understanding of what I am familiar with.
Unless the dog was specially trained to be extra gentle (like bird retrieving and other certain hunting dogs) on the prey it grabbed then I dare say it would have been quite fast for your bird.
Going by your description I would guess it all would have been over before your bird really knew what was even happening. A dog that eats what it caught and leaves little mess behind sounds a little skilled in hunting so would not have been playing.
My current dog actually had her first kill the other day and as she had no idea what she was doing other than following her instincts to chase it was not as fast a death as I would have liked for the other critter involved. My dog who recently passed away was quite skilled at catching things and his skills were such that a rabbit would be completely gone within less than five seconds of being caught.

I’m so sorry and I hope this helps take some of the torment away for you. I feel awful sharing this but my belief is your bird went faster than you’re imagining. Out of any animal I’ve seen being hunted birds last the least amount of time once a dog has them.
Thank you so much. The rescue dog was picked up in Ireland..she was pregnant and weak. She probably had to survive on what she could in the wild. We had her on trial to start with and she completely ignored Jingles when we were there. However my partner'forgot to shut his cage ..he must have flown off it. I feel I let him down by not being there to protect him...thank you for your reply.. it has helped.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I totally understand the feelings you’re going through.
A very similar thing happened to me a very very long time ago with my very first bird. I was a young child and we had my grandfathers dog temporarily who was trained to catch rats from the horse stables- we didn’t think about that and the fact my bird was never closed in its cage.
We went out and came home to nothing but feathers :(
I was later shown how fast that dog disposed of rats which were much bigger and tougher than my bird because I was so distraught over how long it would have been in pain that I kept crying to my grandfather and couldn’t be consoled. He decided although it may be a bit morbid that it was best for me to see for myself how skilled his dog was at ending the suffering of anything it caught. I found that knowledge to be more helpful than anything else that was said to me.
I’m so very sorry you experienced this loss in this way :sadhug2: :heart: :sadhug2: