• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary making weird sounds

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
I have a question regarding my male canary.
When I get close to the cage of my canary he gets a little nervous and starts making squeaking sounds followed by clicking sounds. I can hear him sneezing, too. I noticed that a few months ago and treated him for airsac mites.
He sings, but not at this moment because I am introducing him to a female (cage to cage) in hopes of breeding.
Is my canary just scared or does it have mites?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's making clicking sounds I wonder if that could be pneumonia as I believe that's one of the symptoms. Especially if he's had airsack mites in the past his lungs maybe weaker and more susceptible to infection.
@Hankmacaw

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
Is there any way for his lungs to get stronger?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I know virtually nothing about canaries - sorry.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know virtually nothing about canaries - sorry.
I was thinking since didn't one of your kids have pneumonia a time or two? Am I remembering right that clicking can be an indication?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Aspergillosis not pneumonia.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
How can I get rid of Aspergillosis?
Can it be transmitted from bird to bird?(very important question because he will begin breeding in a few days)
I've read about it, and symptoms include inactivity, yet my canary is active and sings.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I would be tempted to say respiratory illness, not necessarily Asper unless you've had some sign or previous exposure to it. Is there discharge from the nares? Is there swelling near the eyes (even above the eyes sometimes)?

When frightened, they do make the sounds you mentioned. Maybe cover one corner of the cage for him. You can also put in fake plants to make them feel "hidden."

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
I didn't look at the canary up close if it had any discharge after sneezing. I didn't notice any kind of swelling. I will keep an eye on him in the morning and I'll tell you if I notice anything.
I remember back when I housed the canary with a budgie that used to sneeze (they both had air sac mites) from time to time, but I don't remember it making clicking or squeaking sounds. That was 1+ year ago, so I really doubt it. I recently gave my canary medication for air sac mites again because of his breathing. Even after the medication he is still making noises.

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
By the way, I read about the other symptoms and it turns out Aspergillosis can cause inactivity and loss of apetite. My canary is active, jumps around the cage, eats food readily, it's just the breeding that concerns me. His body shape has always been slim. To be honest, the female is slightly less active than him, but she's okay.

vasko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Vojin
I just heard him sneeze and I grabbed him to look if he has any discharge. Turns out the feathers got into one nostril, I removed them. Good news, there was no discharge. Eyes were good.