• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I put 3 lovies together?

feathers

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
clayton
Hi, I have 3 lovies, Zazu, Fig & Moose. Zazu & Moose are both handraised Peachfaces while Fig is a rescued and now "semi-tame" Fischer lovie. Firstly I'd like to address that no, I am not housing all 3 together. Zazu & Fig are housed together and have been for 6+ months while Moose is my newest addition and has his own cage. Also before I start, none of them are been DNA sexed yet, so genders are all assumptions.

Fig & Moose get along well with no issues, Zazu, on the other hand will bite & chase Moose around (when they're all out of their cages for a few hours during the day). Sometimes they get along when they're not in close proximity or busy playing with toys, but Zazu does pick at Moose a lot. This is my first time owning more than 2 lovies so I'm not sure if 3 is a good number or not. Sometimes if Zazu picks at Moose, Fig will pick at Zazu but those 2 are always fine together.

I'm wondering if this is normal or not? There hasn't been any pulled feathers or blood but I'm also not really wanting to risk that lol. Any suggestions?

Reactions: Ali

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the Avenue Clayton! :starshower1:

To start, no you can not house three together. It causes love triangles where no one is happy and ends up in fights and possibly deaths.
The way to house lovebirds is as you have now, one bonded pair or one single bird per cage.

Sometimes if Zazu picks at Moose, Fig will pick at Zazu but those 2 are always fine together.

I'm wondering if this is normal or not?
Yea, that is about right, someone is poking their beak into anothers relationship and it causes rifts. If Fig were a Roseicollis I would say maybe she is female, but as they are Fischeri, nipping supposedly is more common amongst them (though I don´t have this species to be able to compare).

feathers

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
clayton
Welcome to the Avenue Clayton! :starshower1:

To start, no you can not house three together. It causes love triangles where no one is happy and ends up in fights and possibly deaths.
The way to house lovebirds is as you have now, one bonded pair or one single bird per cage.

Yea, that is about right, someone is poking their beak into another relationship and it causes rifts. If Fig were a Roseicollis I would say maybe she is female, but as they are Fischeri, nipping supposedly is more common amongst them (though I don´t have this species to be able to compare).
That makes sense! Thank you! If I added another lovie to the flock would that help even things out? Or would having 4 birds not mix well while they're all out of their cages? If not would you recommend having them out at separate times? Never really had to worry about this before, sorry for all the questions! :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Or would having 4 birds not mix well while they're all out of their cages? If not would you recommend having them out at separate times?
You would have to try it under observation and see. I have 4 of mine out separately usually and the other 3 together. Some get on with others, others don´t.

If the three birds you have now play nice out of the cage, there is no reason why they can´t be out together. The problem is if one is chasing another.