• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I feed this to my lovebirds and budgies?

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
So long story short, I put all the seed shells from my birds feeding tray into a pot of soil. Some plants have grown, but I don't know if they are safe for my budgies or lovebirds.

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If they grew from the bird seed they're fine. Will they actually eat them is the question. :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'd try offering the occasional leaf as salad, and let the plants go all the way to seed and feed some of the seed while it still has some green to it.

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
I'd check what was in the seedpackage first, just because the seed is fine its not given all parts of the plant it came from is.
Example coffewood is popular to use for perches and from all I found so far is safe, but the coffebeans are not.
So two different parts of a plant where one part is safe and the other very not so.

It might well be fine, but I would make sure the plants and all the parts of them actually are before feeding it. If they are great, good for the bird to get access to fresh stuff.

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
I'd try offering the occasional leaf as salad, and let the plants go all the way to seed and feed some of the seed while it still has some green to it.
I feed them veggies and fruit quite often, but I was wondering if these plants are safe. If I can figure out the name of the plant, I can do a quick google search, but I’m unfamiliar with these specific plants.

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
I'd check what was in the seedpackage first, just because the seed is fine its not given all parts of the plant it came from is.
Example coffewood is popular to use for perches and from all I found so far is safe, but the coffebeans are not.
So two different parts of a plant where one part is safe and the other very not so.

It might well be fine, but I would make sure the plants and all the parts of them actually are before feeding it. If they are great, good for the bird to get access to fresh stuff.
That’s what I am afraid of. Do you happen to know the name of these plants?

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
No, but i'd look up the seed package and see which seeds are listed, then go from there to look them up and identify them.

And when in doubt, well as good as it would be with fresh stuff I just would not risk it, better safe then sorry.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Nice plants! :) Those first two are really pretty! I want to plant some of my bird seed and see if I get some pretty flowers too! :lol:

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian

So it’s mostly consisted of yellow and red millet, and canary seed(about 50%), but it also has small portions of Peeled oats, Safflower, paddyrice, oats, chia, and linseed. So I guess thats a start lol. In case your wondering, it’s from a small trustworthy company in MX. My birds love it and tend to breed successfully with it. They also withstand winters pretty well.

Lovebird27

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Christian
No, but i'd look up the seed package and see which seeds are listed, then go from there to look them up and identify them.

And when in doubt, well as good as it would be with fresh stuff I just would not risk it, better safe then sorry.
Agree

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Thanks, the flower started blooming, and it seems to be a pretty big plant. I wonder what the these black balls are :thinking:
Fruit?!? What kind, I can’t say. If they are ripe, cut one open and see what’s inside. Just curious :Iknw:

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
Well i'd look them up then with a few google tags so could check them against like safflower +parrots

And check multiple sites, to make sure I got a consistant answer from more sources..or maybe someone in here know..I am still trying learn the specifics for parrots before geting any, so just has general knowledge to go on.