• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone help with sexing my cockatiel by photo

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
It wasn’t easy plucking the poor thing. I was going to give up but somehow I ended up about 15 feathers in a zip lock bag. My bird is mad at me right now. I see him/her at the corner of my eyes dogging me...
Anty, once you find out your bird’s sex let me know too....

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
15 feathers in a zip lock bag
Why so many ? :eek:

TTMango we already told him the bird he has his sights on is a boy :roflmao::laugh: It's bird mutation genetics 101

Anty, her name is Alsing :) It means "Fly " In M'ikmaq language :laugh: :D

Last edited:

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
The form they send me wanted 5 feathers. I just wanted to make sure the feathers was perfect and enough for them to get the DNA so I added extra.
It sound sad but the bird is perfectly fine and you can’t even tell that he/she got plucked...

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
It wasn’t easy plucking the poor thing. I was going to give up but somehow I ended up about 15 feathers in a zip lock bag. My bird is mad at me right now. I see him/her at the corner of my eyes dogging me...
Anty, once you find out your bird’s sex let me know too....

Dude, you making a pillow? Lol. Birdie is not going to be happy with you for awhile. You might want to give some millet.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
I felt bad after but I just wanted to make sure that they get that perfect feather.
My husband walked by and gave me the WTF, are you doing look. I did feel bad after and offered lots of kisses and hugs.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
I felt bad after but I just wanted to make sure that they get that perfect feather.
My husband walked by and gave me the WTF, are you doing look. I did feel bad after and offered lots of kisses and hugs.
I wouldn't worry about it as long as you gave some TLC afterwards you'll be fine. I'm going to take my two tiels to the vet to get the DNA done.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
Once you find out your birds gender let me know... I don’t know much about birds but I caught my bird doing the naughty thing against the perching stick today!
Now I’m googling Cockatiel behaviors to see if it’s a girl or boy..

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
My husband walked by and gave me the WTF, are you doing look. I did felt bad after and offered lots of kisses and hugs.

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Once you find out your birds gender let me know... I don’t know much about birds but I caught my bird doing the naughty thing against the perching stick today!
Now I’m googling Cockatiel behaviors to see if it’s a girl or boy..
Yeah they do that. Here is a list a couple of things you should know about cockatiels.

1. Do not cook with any Teflon products it will kill them
2. Do not light any scented candles or glade plugins. It will hurt or kill them.
3. Do not give them beer or liquor. It is poisonous to them.
4. Google any human food to make sure they can eat it. There are alot that they can eat. But there are a few that are not good for them.

Hey guys, are there any others that I am missing?

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
Yeah they do that. Here is a list a couple of things you should know about cockatiels.

2. Do not light any scented candles or glade plugins. It will hurt or kill them.
4. Google any human food to make sure they can eat it. There are alot that they can eat. But there are a few that are not good for them.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

Remember, this covers all pet birds, not just cockatiels

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Chocolate, caffeine, avocado are toxic to parrots. Teflon is usually in non stick pans but can also be in hairdryers, space heaters, popcorn makers. Ceramic and steel pans are usually safe. I always check to see the product say no ptfe included.

loose string can cause a bird to hang themselves and cotton rope can be swallowed and cause crop impactation.

controversial foods that I do not give my birds are onions, mushrooms, celery, white potato, white rice, white bread, chips, any junk food, spinach (high in oxalates), asparagus, any fruits seed pits, (kiwi and strawberry are safe), romaine lettuce (just due to so many lettuce recalls), peanuts (low chance of aspergillosis).

costume jewelry allowed to be licked (or any metals) can cause metal toxicity. Paint licked or eaten can be toxic. (Power coated cages are safe)

Then there’s the usual cover all mirrors and windows (curtains) so the bird doesn’t accidently fly into them. Turn off all unsafe fans and ceiling fans when the bird is out. Don’t let them out while cooking. Keep the toilet seat lid down. Don’t let the bird directly under the shower head (water pressure can cause too much water in nose). If you shower with your pet, let the water spray off your body onto them, or just spray them with a mist from a water bottle, above their head so water falls on them.
Have an extra door if possible in the porch (or screen door), secure screen windows when open.
Don’t let predators like cats and dogs unsupervised with your parrot.

these are the only dangers I can think of at the moment .

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Chocolate, caffeine, avocado are toxic to parrots. Teflon is usually in non stick pans but can also be in hairdryers, space heaters, popcorn makers. Ceramic and steel pans are usually safe. I always check to see the product say no ptfe included.

loose string can cause a bird to hang themselves and cotton rope can be swallowed and cause crop impactation.

controversial foods that I do not give my birds are onions, mushrooms, celery, white potato, white rice, white bread, chips, any junk food, spinach (high in oxalates), asparagus, any fruits seed pits, (kiwi and strawberry are safe), romaine lettuce (just due to so many lettuce recalls), peanuts (low chance of aspergillosis).

costume jewelry allowed to be licked (or any metals) can cause metal toxicity. Paint licked or eaten can be toxic. (Power coated cages are safe)

Then there’s the usual cover all mirrors and windows (curtains) so the bird doesn’t accidently fly into them. Turn off all unsafe fans and ceiling fans when the bird is out. Don’t let them out while cooking. Keep the toilet seat lid down. Don’t let the bird directly under the shower head (water pressure can cause too much water in nose). If you shower with your pet, let the water spray off your body onto them, or just spray them with a mist from a water bottle, above their head so water falls on them.
Have an extra door if possible in the porch (or screen door), secure screen windows when open.

Thanks. There was alot on here I didn't know.

Reactions: Ali

Anty

Sitting on the front steps
I just decided to purchased a Bird DNA for $13.00. I will try to pluck it’s feathers tonight. After that my 3 daughters and I will have a cake w/ its gender inside. Yes, I have 3 daughters & 3 female dogs!!!! I’m really hoping for a Male Bird. “Fingers Crossed”
Hey! Did you get you birds dna results back yet?!

Anty

Sitting on the front steps

I didn’t see this but that’s very nice and helpful thank you!!