• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone help with sexing my cockatiel by photo

Anty

Sitting on the front steps
Hi, I’m awaiting a new baby cockatiel and like many new cockatiel owners I have a typical question; does anyone know how to sex them by the info I have and photo?
I don’t have experience when it comes to color mutations and I hear it gets tricky to be sure.
Breeder seems VERY knowledgeable but I just wanted confirmation I guess.
I don’t have him (the breeder says 100% male) yet but I have one photo at 2 wks old.
Parents are a Lutino male split white face
and the Female is a pearl cinnamon white face.
Idk what their parents are so hopefully that’s not necessary, Plz help if you can and have time lol thank you in advance.

Attachments

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
Pretty sure the only ways to tell are with DNA tests and egg laying. @Tiel Feathers ?

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
Hi, I’m awaiting a new baby cockatiel and like many new cockatiel owners I have a typical question; does anyone know how to sex them by the info I have and photo?
I don’t have experience when it comes to color mutations and I hear it gets tricky to be sure.
Breeder seems VERY knowledgeable but I just wanted confirmation I guess.
I don’t have him (the breeder says 100% male) yet but I have one photo at 2 wks old.
Parents are a Lutino male split white face
and the Female is a pearl cinnamon white face.
Idk what their parents are so hopefully that’s not necessary, Plz help if you can and have time lol thank you in advance.
Maybe you can ask the breeder to do a DNA test and pay the extra $,,here in Ontario you can order the DNA kit and it’s about $15. Might be worth asking. Some breeders will do it,,some won’t.

Anty

Maybe you can ask the breeder to do a DNA test and pay the extra $,,here in Ontario you can order the DNA kit and it’s about $15. Might be worth asking. Some breeders will do it,,some won’t.
Thank you

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
We can only guess based on the picture you provided. I would go with female since the colors seems muted.

But you would only know for sure with a DNA test or when tiel starts popping out eggs.

Anty

We can only guess based on the picture you provided. I would go with female since the colors seems muted.

But you would only know for sure with a DNA test or when tiel starts popping out eggs.
Oh. Okay thanks

PippinLovebird

Strolling the yard

That is the same thing I was going to say. I most definitely agree.

:rflb: Pippin:tiel2:Sunshine:tieln:Milo

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I believe the breeder is right and you have a boy. If you know what the parents are- which the breeder does, you can tell the sex depending on the mutation. So this baby obviously has pearl markings. Since the mom is a pearl, and the dad is not, in order for the baby to have the pearl markings, he has to be a boy.

This explains it: Little Feathered Buddies sex-linked mutations

Am I correct @Monica ?

Veritgo01

Strolling the yard
Oh. Okay thanks
Also, I forgot to mention this earlier. You can try to see how he/she would react in front of a mirror. If they are interested in their reflection then its mlm or than likely a male, if not then it could be a female.

Just keep in mind that this is not 100% accurate

Anty

I believe the breeder is right and you have a boy. If you know what the parents are- which the breeder does, you can tell the sex depending on the mutation. So this baby obviously has pearl markings. Since the mom is a pearl, and the dad is not, in order for the baby to have the pearl markings, he has to be a boy.

This explains it: Little Feathered Buddies sex-linked mutations

Am I correct @Monica ?
I’m relieved, Thank you! My friend also is very familiar with cockatiels and she thinks a male as well. I just spoke to her. Either way I’m still going to do the dna test, just to confirm. it’s super cheap. But thank you again.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Not quite right!

If the dad is in fact a lutino, not a pied, then this chick is in fact a male, without a doubt! Now, the question is... is dad also a pearl? Or split pearl? If all the chicks end up pearl, then dad is a pearl. If only some of them end up as pearls, then he's split. Of course, you don't need to breed to find out that info... but it can be a little trickier to find out if you don't know what to look for!

If the mother *IS* a pearl, then any pearl offspring could be male or female!

What would make this chick a male is the fact that the dad is a lutino. If this is true, then *ALL* female offspring are lutinos! They could be lutino, or lutino pearl (again, depending on if dad is pearl or split pearl), but they are lutino regardless. This means that all non-lutino chicks are automatically males. No DNA testing required! ;) (some could be albino - aka whiteface lutino)

Do love that pearl flight feather on the edge! That's really neat!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Not quite right!

If the dad is in fact a lutino, not a pied, then this chick is in fact a male, without a doubt! Now, the question is... is dad also a pearl? Or split pearl? If all the chicks end up pearl, then dad is a pearl. If only some of them end up as pearls, then he's split. Of course, you don't need to breed to find out that info... but it can be a little trickier to find out if you don't know what to look for!

What would make this chick a male is the fact that the dad is a lutino. If this is true, then *ALL* female offspring are lutinos! They could be lutino, or lutino pearl (again, depending on if dad is pearl or split pearl), but they are lutino regardless. This means that all non-lutino chicks are automatically males. No DNA testing required! ;) (some could be albino - aka whiteface lutino)

Just when I think I'm close to getting it.......... LOL. So if the dad doesn't have any pearl chromosomes then boy? Or am I still not getting it.....

Anty

Not quite right!

right, super nice! And Interesting, so the two sibling were females; one white and one yellow. Does that mean Or saying anything?

Anty

right, super nice! And Interesting, so the two sibling were females; one white and one yellow. Does that mean Or saying anything?
He just said the dad was Lutino split whiteface. And mom pearl cinnamon white face.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
If the parent mutations are correct, baby is a boy :) all the girls must be lutino since dad is lutino. This app is great. I had to put dad as having pearl gene, else baby could not be pearl. Dad has to be lutino split to pearl whiteface or was pearl and lost pearls.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Just when I think I'm close to getting it.......... LOL. So if the dad doesn't have any pearl chromosomes then boy? Or am I still not getting it.....
The baby is a pearl. So the dad must be a pearl to pass the pearl gene , or split to pearl. sex linked mutation : dad must have the gene to pass to offspring. All females will visually show mutation, all males will be split to the mutation unless mom also has the gene, then males will have the mutation as well.

both lutino and pearl are sex linked. That is why the breeder can determine it is a boy, all the baby girls must be lutino as mom is not lutino but dad is. Then by process of elimination, all males are not lutino.

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
All white and all yellow birds are lutinos. An all white lutino is just called a whiteface lutino. The breeder is right. All the girls will be lutino. All the boys will not.