• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Tantrums

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
This isn't really a problem or anything (I hope), more just me being curious, but my caique Wyatt throws tantrums when things don't go his way-- such as me telling him 'no' for something he really wants to do, his toys falling over when he is trying to stack them, or when he accidentally drops a treat and can't get to it. He throws himself down like a toddler in a supermarket and cracks it, making angry gibbering noises as he holds the 'wrist' of his wing while flapping it, which is something that he's always done but is still pretty odd. Aside from a little extra wear on his feathers (like the sort that can happen from wearing a harness), there's no damage there and it doesn't seem to be a compulsive action as the second he finds a distraction it's back to business as usual (these tantrums are very short-lived, thankfully), but I'm curious as to what your thoughts on this might be?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think all of my birds have thrown tantrums lol. They all do it in their own ways. My quaker and Jardine's are bowl flippers - if they get mad about something they flip their food and/or water bowls.

My green cheek would grumble at me in what I can only describe as conure cussing :lol:

The wing grabbing thing sounds like misplaced aggression which is common too when they get upset or annoyed. My quaker does that to his foot, whereas other birds might do it toys.

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Mine does a dropped wing thing where he turns slightly, drops his shoulder and threatens to hit me with it when he drops something. They also threaten me by squealing really loud like a pig as a warning. I ignore it ...usually. They are funny though. Very heart on sleeve kind of birds.

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
I think all of my birds have thrown tantrums lol. They all do it in their own ways. My quaker and Jardine's are bowl flippers - if they get mad about something they flip their food and/or water bowls.

My green cheek would grumble at me in what I can only describe as conure cussing :lol:

The wing grabbing thing sounds like misplaced aggression which is common too when they get upset or annoyed. My quaker does that to his foot, whereas other birds might do it toys.
Haha yeah-- my green cheek is similar to yours, and Wyatt will yank his food dish up and down (his cage has little bars to keep the dishes in, which I love) if he wants out while we're in the other room :laugh:

I was mostly curious because I haven't really seen any other birds do the wing grabbing thing that Wyatt does, and though I'd chalked it up to being one of his many quirks (to the shock of likely no one, he is a weird little guy lol), after it came up in conversation recently I thought I'd ask about it here. He does also get upset at his toys sometimes too lol

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
Mine does a dropped wing thing where he turns slightly, drops his shoulder and threatens to hit me with it when he drops something. They also threaten me by squealing really loud like a pig as a warning. I ignore it ...usually. They are funny though. Very heart on sleeve kind of birds.
Yeah, they're very easy to read birds-- I can always judge my caique's mood more easily than my green cheek's, he's so obvious that it makes her look incredibly subtle haha. Thankfully he has never been aggressive towards me, though he is only turning two this December so I'm sure that'll change as he matures and gets hormonal and all that, at least that's what I've read happens a lot with caiques :)

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
The wing thing may be nothing. It may turn into something if he starts to get rougher with himself. Just keep an eye on it. Is he getting enough sleep and fruit and veg? I don't feed pellets much and they can get overloaded.

AYA

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gab
The wing thing may be nothing. It may turn into something if he starts to get rougher with himself. Just keep an eye on it. Is he getting enough sleep and fruit and veg? I don't feed pellets much and they can get overloaded.
He's been pretty consistent with it his whole life, there's not a lot of force behind it from what I can tell, just a lot of bluster. I do keep an eye on it though. He gets 12 hours of sleep a night and naps during the day if he wears himself out, and he has a sprout mix every day (he's not a fan of fruit surprisingly and he will stuff most veggies out the bars of his cage, the little pest, but he always eats his sprouts). He does have pellets but he still acts the same if I run out and he's only getting fresh foods while waiting for more pellets to arrive :)

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Ah the tantrums :lol:
Yoshi will pace up answer down his cage roof doing the serpent dance or ping the bars.