• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Parrot - Ottawa, Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
It is with a heavy heart that after 7 years of trying to befriend our 9-year old Caique Parrot after a traumatizing experience, we have decided to find him a home where he can both come out of his cage freely AND love his people.

Due to his changing experience, he is not particularly fond of men.

Neither myself nor Husband can handle him (bomb dives and biting), and he only responds positively to people who aren`t us. So I know he has great potential – just not in our house or with us.

I do not want to think of him going home to home to home - that is just not fair to him. And this is *not* an easy decision at all. I am a stubborn person, and work so hard will all of our animals (and all aspects of life). He is happy, but he also deserves to love his people, not give us stink eye. He is much more amiable towards our friends who come over and chat with him. Most days I don't fear being chased or bomb dived...other days though, as soon as I flicker fear - game over.

He would require a home without any other parrots, or where he would have time out on his own each day – he cannot be alone outside his cage with other parrots out at the same time, but he has free roam of his playroom and does not bother our other bird through the cage bars.

Caiques are strong willed, stubborn, challenging, and never forget! They are not for families new to owning parrots, and he may not do well in a home with kids (minimal exposure).

His new family cannot be fearful, because he will sense that, and it will be more difficult to build a relationship with him. Slow, methodical training (preferably using food as a reward) several times a day will be required to earn his trust.

He is fully feathered, is fairly happy, and requires a lot of toys to keep him busy.

He is not extremely noisy – he has a Doctor Evil cackle, makes fun party sounds, and says a few phrases “Up Up” and “Whatcha Doin?” – this species is definitely not known for their talking abilities, but their silly antics.

He is a clown while playing – flipping upside down, playing with 2-3 toys at a time, and loves to keep busy.

We will not rehome him to JUST anyone, as Caiques are NOT an easy species to work with – size of the average Conure, with the attitude of a macaw.

His cage is included - Cage size – 24``x 24```x 56`` (tall) – with a variety of perches, toys, and his sleeping cube (which he prefers to sleep on top of).

Asking $400 for my buddy, cage, and toys. IMG_0194 (Small).JPG IMG_0195 (Small).JPG IMG_0196 (Small).JPG Rosco after shower.jpg Rosco Cheerios.jpg Rosco knee.jpg Rosco Wingdow.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm sorry that you have to rehome Rosco. You are so right in saying that caiques are the size of a conure, with the attitude of a macaw. Hoping you find him a great new home soon...

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
A caique is WAY more bird than I can handle. This has got to be a tough decision to make, and I hope you find the perfect home for him. :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Crystal,
So sorry that you have to rehome your Caique. I hope that you are able to find a wonderful home for him. He is very cute.

JessieW

Sprinting down the street
oh he is sooo adorable. oh I wish I could take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.