• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bananacaique

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Britney
I'm Britney, and I have a year old white bellied caique. She will be two in July. We've had her since she was six months, and though sometimes its been rough, we love her and value her as a member of our family, instead of a pet. However, we've been looking into adding another avian to our family, more specifically, an african grey or even a yellow-naped amazon. We feel we want another one to love and want a bit of a bigger bird than our medium sized baby. Despite wanting a new addition, we are hesitant since we love our caique and wouldn't want her to become depressed or angry if we were to get a new baby. We spend a decent amount of time everyday, and she is not attached to any one person in our family, but is not friendly to strangers. She's nippy, and bites sometimes, but we deal with it because we love her vivacious and lively attitude, as a stubborn little bird. Would she be accustomed to the new addition in time? Which bird would be a better addition, the african grey or the yellow amazon? Would the other bird attack our caique? We are looking for a friend, not a pet and do not consider our animals as pets but instead family.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I can understand your reasoning for wanting a bigger bird, after all, I did the same when I adopted Cassie, a LSC, at the same time we had budgies, tiels, and an IRN already in the family. And yes, like you, we consider our pets to be part of our family.
You can't predict how a bird will react to a new flock member, since they are individuals. Caiques, like you said, have lively attitudes. Our flock has become accustomed to knowing there are other birds in the house, but they do no interspecies interaction. The budgies are lively little firecrackers- they don't even tolerate any other birdie to LAND on their cage! The tiels don't like the IRN, and will gang up to drive him away by biting his beloved tail. And Milton is totally indifferent to all the other birds...EXCEPT if he sees me interact with one of the others. He's extremely jealous if my attentions are on some other bird beside him.
This is my flock, so like I said, your birds will in all probability, will have different reactions.

Both Greys and YNAs are wonderful birds, and since I've never had the pleasure of being owned by one, can't say which would be a "better" addition...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I've always secretly wanted a grey but know very little on amazons.

Caiques just seem to be so full of life & I love the way they play. Research the birds & see which might fit in better with the family. They will probably have to be supervised carefully when out. @saroj12 has caiques & a grey. Maybe they can comment.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well, the girl, Chickie has no problem with Big Scooter the grey. JoJo the boy jumps on him if they get close, and BScoot is terrified of him and crash lands off his atom or boing. So JoJo I have to monitor.