• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Upgrade!

TheBirds

Sprinting down the street
You know when you just get to a point where you're so sick of the inconveniences of something? That's been the story here with me and my girls' current cages lately, it's so awkward to clean them and I'm sick of the design. They don't have a stand or wheels so they also take up an entire (rather long) tabletop in the middle of our living room.

Enter The New Cage! It was ordered earlier in the week and I've been checking on it's shipment status several times a day every day in anticipation of it's arrival. I eagerly set to assembling it today and the two girls spent some supervised time together in it as a trial run. (They're presently caged separately side-by-side but my hope is that I can move them in together successfully to an unfamiliar cage, if done slowly and methodically. They preened each other and sat touching for the majority of their time in it today so I'm hopeful!)

It's got wheels, a clear acrylic front (34" x 18") that opens completely for ease of cleaning and set-up, a proper play area on top, and a tray and grate with dimensions that will better fit in our laundry tub for a good scrubbing. It fits perfectly against our living room wall between a bookcase and the TV (all that had to be moved was a plant) which FINALLY frees up the table behind our sofa. There are flip-out feeder doors (when my mother looks after them for us on weekends we're away, Tonic attacks her hands each and every time she has to change-out the water in their current set-up). Plus we had a $100 Visa gift card from some tv or internet promo sitting around so after applying that, the whole thing ended up costing less than $100.

:bliss:

I was a little concerned about the size, looking at the dimensions online, but seeing the two girls in it now it looks absolutely massive - even though it's not as wide as what they're in presently (strangely). It's going to be so much easier to roll them out onto the deck in it, too, for a little bit of (shady) outside time. The only downside, so far, if there had to be one? The bowls with it are massive - this is clearly designed for a larger bird (the cage bar spacing is as wide as I'd ever want it). Having said that, I'm sure they'll adjust.

We're gone this weekend so I'll wait until we're back to move them in properly, after a few more trial runs together. Fun, fun!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How exciting! It sounds like a lovely cage,I can't wait to see pics.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sounds interesting! Hope they like it :)

TheBirds

So "together time" in the new cage has been going well, both girls immediately set to preening one another (with the exception of one small spat) and sat snuggled together in a corner of the new cage.

None of their "stuff" (all their multi-branch java perches and sisal) has been moved over yet, as they're only spending very short periods in there to get used to it - and each other - before I make the move permanent. These girls prefer to climb than fly and this new environment will give them lots more climbing space.

Here they are enjoying the upgrade, none too concerned:

IMG_4122.jpg IMG_4119.jpg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Aw yay! I hope it continues to go well!

TheBirds

This afternoon was spent stripping both their current cages, giving everything a good scrub outside with the sun to dry it all off, and moving all their worldly belongings in to their new abode. There's still some tweaking to do to encourage them both to utilize the cage as much as possible but so far so good! I can tell they're out of sorts and Tonic especially is very much wanting my attention ("Rescue me from this strange place!") but Coda has already found herself a nice dark corner and seems to have settled in for the night.

IMG_4147.jpg IMG_4150.jpg