• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Placed Near Window?

Flynn

Strolling the yard
I'd like to know everyone's opinions about cages being placed by windows. I've done some research into it, and it mostly seems negative, but whenever I put Rio by a window he seems infinitely happier. He gets super puffy and relaxed while sitting in the sun, and seems to really enjoy watching what goes on outside. My backyard is super boring, but I guess he finds moving branches interesting. What do you guys think?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Not as a place to keep the cage. Birds being a prey animal are very observant to what is going on around them . They can see something that frightens them like predators. I saw a photo of an owl that was holding on to window screen looking in at a bird in a cage. Tell me that bird wasnt frightened. Heart attack time!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
The issue with Windows are drafts and stress from what I'm aware. (If an older member comes around and says otherwise, listen to them and not me). Bu y a window perch for your little one. Wingdow is a seller here but they're on the pricier side. (Not bad but a bit much for those with a tight budget and need the extra cash for emergency vet visits) get a stand and put it by the window.

Flynn

Strolling the yard
Oh dear, that sounds terrible. With my current setup in the room it's near impossible to move him any other place, but I'll try. Would it be alright if 75% of his cage was covered by a wall?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I think as long as part of the cage is placed in a way that they can move away from the window if they want to, then it's ok. But that's just my opinion.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Oh dear, that sounds terrible. With my current setup in the room it's near impossible to move him any other place, but I'll try. Would it be alright if 75% of his cage was covered by a wall?
That should be okay, but move him as soon as it's possible

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the bird. Ripley looooves being in front of the window. But all my other birds it totally stressed them out.

Flynn

Strolling the yard
Awesome, thank you all so much. If anyone has anything else to add I'd be happy to hear it!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have 2 cages on either side of my patio doors(glass doors), they are in corners but do not obstruct my door. So if those birds want to see out, they can move to the front of the cage and look - it gives them a choice. Aldora and Jaime are on the other side of the room, they can see out without being right in front of the window. It works for us :)
-I´m not sure that even makes sense, but I tried :confused:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I don't think there's a one size fits all answer. My conure's cage is in front of a double window that faces some large pine trees. He's extremely happy and I think the view provides enrichment.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Should be ok to have the better part of the cage with wall in back.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Their cages are not by the window BUT I have a very long rope perch that goes across in front of the window and they all love hanging out there. When it snows they seem quite captivated!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I placed Farlie's cage in a corner of a room and there is a window on that wall by it but not next to it. Farlie can see out at a sharp angle. Now, I found that my baby does NOT like the window at all.
Had him sitting on my finger by the window one day as we both were looking out when all of a sudden he SCREAMED and took off. Hit me in the face as he tried to get away. Another time he was playing on his cage when, again, he took off running this time right up to his 'bed' and stayed there for a while. (He can't see out when in his 'bed'.) On a couple of other occasions, he was startled and jumped severely so I just understood he doesn't like the window so I covered it.
You might try it to see if your baby will like looking out otherwise cover it. Also, keep in mind that a window will get really hot in the summer and really cold in the winter.

Last edited:

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Diesel's favorite thing is to look out the window. I have half of her cage placed in front of the window so if she wanted she could move out of the windows view. I think being able to look outside and see what is going on provides enrichment.

When she's out of her cage, Diesel will even choose to perch on our windowsills so she can look outside. These sessions often involve a lot of "Hi!"'s to people walking by and "wow"s when she see's something she likes :xflove:

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Both of my aviaries are 3/4 wall and 1/4 window so they have an option. My severe macaws almost are always in front of the window. My larger macaw is there a bit of the day but prefers to move about all over. It’s individual preference but I don’t think having some access to a window all the time does any harm. I do live in a steady climate though so maybe things are different if it’s colder.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I had my bird cage in the window, who knows what scared her, i came down stairs to find my budgie dead, from a heart attack, we never kept them in the window anymore. Maybe for short periods of time, but i wouldn't risk it.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Linnie comes into our living room from 12-7 each day. Her cage is in front of a window that is on our covered deck, so it's protected from drafts and our windows have great insulation. Gigi doesn't seem stressed at all. She looks outside sometimes, (def interested in the snow yesterday) but generally acts the same as when she's in her morning room, against a wall. Last spring through fall we had a family of house finches living nearby and they came on to our deck daily. Gigi seemed to like watching them and they definitely liked watching her. I took the screens out of the windows so they would all have a better view.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Everybirdie is different. Some of my birds have cages by the windows, some have self-accessible playstands by the windows. They like being able to look outside, like the sunshine and scream when they can't get it.
I have one bird who would be terrified to be right by a window so he's entirely across the room but we go look out windows with him on my shoulder.
The best situation is where they can choose whether to be exposed or not with the cage partially window/wall and some large toys they can hide behind too.
Windows are a colder/drafty place so in the winter I use cage covers plus Avitech heat panels at night.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I don't have a choice with cages that line both sides of the room. But each cage has a space that they can move to and be out of the window opening. Mostly though they will sit in front of the window (poop spots) so I know they are okay. I have one nook in the room that doesn't have a window and it is their least favorite spot. I think as long as you give him a space to "hide" away, he'll be okay unless it is very drafty.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes you make a good point that if a cage is in front of a window its good to have large toys to hide behind and Gigi does have some private spots.