• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying from a pet store

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is the mesh stainless steel? If not, remove it immediately as it’s poisonous to Leo!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
First congrats on getting Leo. Agree with others that 3 mos. is not a long time. As for getting another lovebird, I would not jump into doing that right now if I were you. Continue to be patient with him. Is it possible that your parents can lend you some money for a new cage and some fun toys? What other treats besides bananas and apples have you tried giving him?
It's good that you didn't put the mirror in the cage. They are not the best toys for birds and some birds actually fall in love with their own reflection and that's what they prefer to interact with.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
You have a good heart. You will gradually add to his toys and get a new cage for him.
People here will guide you. And researching in the forum's posts is a valuable source.
Chirping to him is good, you will learn to speak in lovebird speaks.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
First congrats on getting Leo. Agree with others that 3 mos. is not a long time. As for getting another lovebird, I would not jump into doing that right now if I were you. Continue to be patient with him. Is it possible that your parents can lend you some money for a new cage and some fun toys? What other treats besides bananas and apples have you tried giving him?
It's good that you didn't put the mirror in the cage. They are not the best toys for birds and some birds actually fall in love with their own reflection and that's what they prefer to interact with.
I can't really ask them for any more money, they pretty much bought the cage and the bird and without a source of income its almost impossible to pay them back, I just had a job interview earlier today so I hope that goes well. my father actually offered to help me build a new cage for him so if that goes well then there is absolutely no way I can ask them for more money. Does anyone know of a cheap online store to get toys/cage? or does anyone just have some they could sell me? let me know if you do, I'm going to go and look at the shopping area of the forum actually... anyway, thank you all for the help!

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
What size is his current cage? How much are you looking to spend on one and as for toys...
Save toilet paper rolls, cardboard and buy construction. Paper. If you did any crafts in kindergarten well you can easily just make him several random toys with those things... Like cardboard chains and things.
Heck if you have and old phone book... Lovies LOVE to shred things.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
Also, by “bed”, do you mean a snuggle/happy hut? If so please remove that immediately as well as they kill birds. Here’s the most recent:

My lovebird has died and I'm broken. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!! it doesn't have a label on it however it looks just like a happy hut and the packaging looks identical, thank you so much for saving Leos life, you can't imagine how much I appreciate this, and I bet Leo does too!! (though he may not be able to voice it.)

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@ZteveBond I wish I could help you with a cage hookup, but I don’t have anything good. No decent cages online cheaper than $80-$150 either.

I’d be glad to send you some toys. I still have tons of new stuff stockpiled.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I CAN NOT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!! it doesn't have a label on it however it looks just like a happy hut and the packaging looks identical, thank you so much for saving Leos life, you can't imagine how much I appreciate this, and I bet Leo does too!! (though he may not be able to voice it.)
You’re quite welcome. The more birdies alive, the better! I cannot fathom how they can still sell the awful things. :(

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
@ZteveBond I wish I could help you with a cage hookup, but I don’t have anything good. No decent cages online cheaper than $80-$150 either.

I’d be glad to send you some toys. I still have tons of new stuff stockpiled.
I've just heard that gritted/sandpapered perches are actually bad for birds, is this true? I've heard that they can cut up their feet, I'd be a shame to get rid of two perches today but if I have to then I shall

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on the perches. Which ones did you get? My birds have pedi perches and they are not having any issues.

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
It depends on the perches. Which ones did you get? My birds have pedi perches and they are not having any issues.
Its not a pedi perch, its far more gritty and has more of a solid shape, just getting thinner and thicker throughout

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its not a pedi perch, its far more gritty and has more of a solid shape, just getting thinner and thicker throughout
Do you know the brand name?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, its All Living Things
They have different types. Is this the Beach Sand one or whatever it's called?? :) Does it feel too gritty and rough for your bird? Was it made in US or China? Best to try to stay away from products made in China although with cages that's almost impossible.
You may want to start a thread in Lovebird Lane and post questions there.
My birds have Polly's Pedicure Perches and Polly's Sandwalk perches.

BTW, post a photo of Leo when you have a chance if he is comfortable with you taking a photograph. We love seeing photos!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I have his in my room, close to a window. I spend a lot of my time in my room, while I'm doing homework I'll explain to him what I'm doing and chirp at him. I have yet to learn how to whistle but I'm working on it. unless I'm changing his water I never put my hand in his cage because he has food bowls that connect from the outside. I haven't really found a treat of his that he LOVES yet, ive tried giving him apples and bananas but he doesnt seem to be a big fan. the petstore was transferring him from a seed diet to a pellet one (that I was finally able to finish off last week). I am aware that what I'm about to say is going to sound depressing but I'm doing the best with what I have. Leo doesnt have many toys. I had to buy his current cage from someone I found online and it wasnt until after I bought it that I found out the bars were to wide, which led to him escaping. we had to buy some wire mesh around his entire cage that unfortunately made alot of his perches unusable because thier stems were to short to fit through the mesh AND the bars. I'm currently saving up so that I can just build him a cage and after thhat get him some nice new toys but until then hes stuck with a swing, a bed, two wooden perches, a jingly toy and a sandpaper perch. I wish I could get more for him but until I can get a job this is the best I can do. he also has a mirror but I am keeping that out of his cage until we bond.
Adding another bird wouldn't be a good idea if things are tight financially. One vet bill could cost as much as $150

ZteveBond

Walking the driveway
They have different types. Is this the Beach Sand one or whatever it's called?? :) Does it feel too gritty and rough for your bird? Was it made in US or China? Best to try to stay away from products made in China although with cages that's almost impossible.
You may want to start a thread in Lovebird Lane and post questions there.
My birds have Polly's Pedicure Perches and Polly's Sandwalk perches.

BTW, post a photo of Leo when you have a chance if he is comfortable with you taking a photograph. We love seeing photos!
I posted a photo of him on my first thread, I threw out the packaging so I'm not sure what its called or where it was made. He hasn't seemed uncomfortable around it/on it but I still don't wanna risk it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I posted a photo of him on my first thread, I threw out the packaging so I'm not sure what its called or where it was made. He hasn't seemed uncomfortable around it/on it but I still don't wanna risk it.
I found his photo and he is very cute! I also saw the type of perch that you are referring to in the photo. If you are not comfortable with him having it then take it out but if you are able to check his feet and don't see any issues then it's probably OK.

Last edited: