• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lovebird has died and I'm broken.

Merovech

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michael
Hello everyone.

1,5 years ago you all welcomed me into this community when I had questions about my new lovebird. Thanks to your advice, all has been well. Because of that I did not feel there were many reasons to post here - sorry about that. There's only so much I can share about my beautiful bird, but I did enjoy lurking the forum for posts and updates from your birds.

Sadly, my lovebird has died. My wife and I did not realise we could love a pet as much as we did. Alas, our love and care did not stop it from dying. After some deliberation and friendly suggestions from other bird owners I know (and the shop), we bought our bird a 'happy hut' for the coming winter cold. Jellybean (my beautiful baby bird) was about to lay eggs again. So you know the little rascals - they nibble and destroy everything!

While we were gone for a saturday (which we hardly ever do, we prefer to stay the weekends home with our bird out of the cage), she apparently destroyed the inner lining of her hut (I refuse to henceforth call them 'happy huts') and got her foot stuck in the lining. When we got home, she was hanging out hut with her eyes closed. My wife remarked how the brat was in a funny sleeping position, even weirder than normal (which is normally pretty weird). I immediately was alarmed - normally she instantly wakes from sleep upon our arrival to greet us with her trademarked and patented "hatchoo!" sound, which she only does when we enter after some time away.

Her eyes remained closed. It was obvious that she had died.

This is by far the worst thing that has happened to me. Ever. I feel guilty, broken and I'm in immense pain. If only I did not buy that stupid hut. If only I was home this saturday like all saturdays.

As I write this, I realise I'm being egotistical. I'm writing here because I need sympathy and love from the only community of people who could understand what I'm (or we're) going through. My wife struggles with depression, but Jellybean was always a ray of sunshine for her. I'm more emotionally stable, but today I'm broken. Jellybean was attached to me. She could sit for hours in my hand and allowed me to endlessly pet her with my nose.

No more.

If you read this, please love your birds even more than you already did. Give them my love and take good care of them. They're special, and they deserve it. Please enjoy your time with your lovebird and realise that even if they can be real brats, you are their whole and entire world. I wish I still could.

Last edited:

Zoepr143

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Zoë
I’m terribly sorry for your loss :sorrow:
Please do not blame yourself for this, you couldn’t have known. You were a good parront.
My love and hugs go out to you and your wife:sadhug:

Last edited:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I'm so sorry for your loss! I understand your pain and the guilt that goes with it because of an avoidable accident as I lost my buddy, Pogo, because of my own actions, things I could have done differently.
There's nothing wrong with coming here to seek comfort from people who understand your love for birds. That's why we are all here as most people in our lives do not.
Try not to beat yourself up. It was an accident and you thought you were doing the right thing for your bird. We learn from our mistakes.
:sadhug2:

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so sorry for your loss :sorrow:.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so so so so very sorry, nothing can express the pain:sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2::sadhug2:
She is flying high at the bridge now:heart:

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I just had a parakeet pass away and I know your pain, it hurts beyond words. You were given advice by someone you trusted (the employee). It is horrible and so, so sad. I am so sorry for you and your wife. It is not egotistical to post on here, we are all bird people and that is a special but somewhat rare thing. I recently posted this and I think you will agree:
"I love this site because I know on AAeven if there are differing opinions, at the end of the day every life is precious from macaws to finches, each one is cherished and loved. I know everyone here understands the level of love and how much my heart aches for his loss."

:sadhug2::sadhug2:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am so sorry for your loss. I really truly do hate happy huts, and I hope that if nothing else your story will serve as a warning for others.

Sorry again. Fly high, little one.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm sorry my friend. Those Happy huts should be named death huts. We have heard this same story so many times. Anyone who has a death hut, please get rid of it. :hug8:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am very sorry for your loss.
:sorrow:

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am so sorry for your loss. Once you feel you can, please tell the store that sold it to you and the manufacturer. I dont know how they still sell (and encourage) these things.

Healing thoughts to you and your wife.

Kristina M

Meeting neighbors
Wow I am so so sorry for your loss. What a horror and definitely not your fault. You thought you were doing something comfy cozy for your sweet innocent birdie. And she sounds like she was a very unique, important, and loving member of your family.

Some good will come from this terrible incident. I am a newbie bird owner and am horrified at what you went through. I am throwing out my Goose's hut as soon as I post this note.

Love, support and warm wishes of comfort from Kristina and Goose in Maryland.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I am so sorry for you and your wife's loss. You did everything to make that little bird happy and she loved you. If tragedies were preventable, they wouldn't happen, and they do happen all too often.

Mango+Mushi

Meeting neighbors
I'm sooo sorry for your loss :(

You don't need to blame yourself. I know that thought keeps coming if only I was there etc... but the fact was you weren't there and it wasn't your fault it was God's will and that's not your fault.

Again I'm sorry to hear the sad news. Hopefully, you can overcome it soon.

Kindest Regards

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
I an so sorry for your loss. :sadhug2:

Princessbella