• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BUILT MY FIRST CAGE - FILIPINO STYLE!

Fiveboy

Meeting neighbors
This turned out great.

I took a LOT of extra time to make sure all wires that could poke were turned and totally blunted.

The cleaning and efficiency of placing the whole thing on a towel (the debris passes through) and stabilizing it with a wire to my ceiling worked out great.
In the future Ill probably post a step by step. Here is a link to a video I posted on Facebook.

Enjoy!

(PS I have a great followup post coming)

Fiveboy

Meeting neighbors
Ah my first response - and only mildly critical.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Looks good and love the opening too!

I would have to agree with @ume though. Rounded cages are not great for some birds. They like corners to feel secure, much like snakes need hides only as big as themselves...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Mwah, maybe it is large for the standard in your country, but I would build something completely different. For a start square, and larger, and always with the birds wellbeing and happiness in mind. I would look into that in the future, you will really see a change in your birds! Well done getting the edges off, what material is the metal?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Great decoration for a stuffed animal or a plant. Terrible design for an actual bird to live in.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It’s a nice attempt, and good for you for trying it out, but I would not put a lovebird (or any other bird) in that. Round cages are awful for birds as others have noted. You also need to go for more width rather than height. My other concern is the bits where you have overlapping wire look like perfect traps for little feet and beaks. Also, are you planning to put toys in or is this the entire set up?

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great decoration for a stuffed animal or a plant. Terrible design for an actual bird to live in.
My first thought was this post contains enough shade to protect the world from global warming for the next 10,000 years.

My second was this was the brutal, honest truth. Please don't put a bird in here. It looks way too small, uncomfortable and not safe. Take a step back and really look at the cage, I mean really look.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have to agree that it is not the sort of cage I could be happy or feel proud of keeping any bird in for any length of time at all. It is great to see you have been creative and have thought about your birds and done something for them but I honestly do not think it is a nice home for any bird for various reasons. Is that wire galvanized?
I understand that things are different in all parts of the world but different does not always mean right or better and if that is in fact a "Filipino style" cage then I sincerely hope that they are outdated and not common at all as it seems like a very cruel place to expect a bird to survive in, especially given some of the cheap, easily accessible, suitable cages with corners that birds are so much happier and are safe in. I hope this was a cage made for a very short temporary solution while waiting for a suitable cage to arrive.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
My first thought was that could be an excellent crawdad/etc trap! Don't scrap it, just repurpose it!