• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buffon's Macaw

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sounds good to me. I think @Mockinbirdiva was referring to Birds by Veta. They were active exhibitors in SPBE and had a shop selling mostly their own babies. I'm pretty sure they had Buffons, but I think they've been out of aviculture for some time now.

I'd contact Dee at AZ parrots. If she doesn't have Buffons, she might know who does in Arizona.
Actually, it was Marshall Liger that owned the birds. It was a surprise to me when he sold his entire flock of breeders to pursue his veterinary career. He was then the state representative of the AFA. I don't think he had an aviary name.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Actually, it was Marshall Liger that owned the birds. It was a surprise to me when he sold his entire flock of breeders to pursue his veterinary career. He was then the state representative of the AFA. I don't think he had an aviary name.

You learn something new everyday! I've never even heard of him. It concerns me that many aviculturists with large collections have retired or quit, and the birds seem to disappear. I did think of another breeder, but he's in Florida: Trent Swiggart of Wild Things. He mainly wholesales to pet stores, though.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I know Dee, but not very well. I’ve heard from other breeders that she’s trying to retire, but you can never tell when one breeder talks about another. I’ll reach out and see at some point. I’m not ready to get him a girl yet. He’s settling down but still has a ways to go.

I had heard that, too.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You learn something new everyday! I've never even heard of him. It concerns me that many aviculturists with large collections have retired or quit, and the birds seem to disappear. I did think of another breeder, but he's in Florida: Trent Swiggart of Wild Things. He mainly wholesales to pet stores, though.
I googled him to see what he is currently doing and found this. Surprised he didn't pursue being a veterinarian but instead a consultant... Here's some information on him. He is who I bought a pair of unrelated crimson bellies from as well my boy "Rocket" came from him. He was a seller that you had to sign a contract with... very business like. I could have bought a golden conure from him, not that he raised them, but he knew an established breeder in Florida and could bring it across state lines with his Federal permit. At some point, you have to draw the line with how many birds you can comfortably house so I chose to forego a golden. Looking at his facebook page it doesn't look like he's totally given up on birds ( i mean... who really can!). He looks like he's owned by a Blue throat macaw and a Hyacinth.

( Speaking of Blue throats... My hubby asked me about three weeks ago if there was such a thing as a blue throated macaw. I said yes. Why? He knows a couple that are looking for a home for theirs. I don't know the circumstances as to why or if in the past weeks they've found a home. I told him to ask them again the next time he sees them when he's out doing photography and comes across them. In case anyone has an interest ( I know I don't..)

Also, if you google him you'll come across the "Liger" that lives not too terribly far from me. Once, when I lived even closer to their compound they rode their elephant over to my house. I had some verrrry surprised neighbors!

Image result for Marshall Liger

I've never heard of Trent. Many of the breeders I knew in the early 2000 have either aged to the point of not being able to continue raising or have had health problems. The market was bigger back then too. Back in the day, I had heard about Birds by Veta.... I just never went there. I don't know when that business closed.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A golden is the only small bird I'd have they fascinate me

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
A golden is the only small bird I'd have they fascinate me
yup... me too. Had I bought one through him it would have been 900.00. Then I remembered how loudly they can scream when I stood in front of a cage prior with two of them. My thoughts.... boy....you suuuuure are pretty! And walked away.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a male golden (breeder) that I’m going to sell. It’s not the volume but something about their scream just rattles in my ears and causes pain. Beautiful birds but I can’t take the screaming. Even the Buffon’s tells them to shut up a few times a day.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
More progress. I have a plastic ball that he's fascinated with but can't quite figure out. It's smooth so he can't grip it and it's too big for him to bite. He kind of bumps it away when I roll it to him. I bought him a plastic ball with holes that he could grip it with, but he destroyed it within minutes. I went to PetSmart and bought one of those rubber Kong toys for dogs. I put some almond cookies for birds in it and left it on top of his cage. Later I found it across the room. We spent some time playing with it. I put it on the cage, he throws it on the floor. It's more him making me fetch it, but it's still interaction. I try different things with it like putting a bunch of the cardboard rings around it and letting him move those to get to it. The rings and the kong end up on the floor. I'm picking up his play stand tomorrow. He spent time on a hanging tree at the store, so I don't think it will be a big issue for him.

He nipped me again, but like before it wasn't a bite. He's clumsy. He has that issue with one wing, and the other wing doesn't fully extend. When he steps up, I can see that he's really unsure of his balance. If my arm isn't rigid, he easily slips and that's when he grabs on to hold himself. I really wish he was able to fly because his color is beautiful, but he's not capable of it. At least I won't ever have to clip him and he can let those beautiful feathers grow.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like great progress!!

Burt had a kong that he loved to play with in many different ways but being the horrible person I am I gave it away!!
Burt decided the best game was to throw it at my head while I wasn’t looking and he is a darn good shot!
I got a full banana thrown at the back of my head yesterday:roflmao:
He would also fly with that evil kong and drop it on me- they hurt you know? :lol:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
More progress. I have a plastic ball that he's fascinated with but can't quite figure out. It's smooth so he can't grip it and it's too big for him to bite. He kind of bumps it away when I roll it to him. I bought him a plastic ball with holes that he could grip it with, but he destroyed it within minutes. I went to PetSmart and bought one of those rubber Kong toys for dogs. I put some almond cookies for birds in it and left it on top of his cage. Later I found it across the room. We spent some time playing with it. I put it on the cage, he throws it on the floor. It's more him making me fetch it, but it's still interaction. I try different things with it like putting a bunch of the cardboard rings around it and letting him move those to get to it. The rings and the kong end up on the floor. I'm picking up his play stand tomorrow. He spent time on a hanging tree at the store, so I don't think it will be a big issue for him.

He nipped me again, but like before it wasn't a bite. He's clumsy. He has that issue with one wing, and the other wing doesn't fully extend. When he steps up, I can see that he's really unsure of his balance. If my arm isn't rigid, he easily slips and that's when he grabs on to hold himself. I really wish he was able to fly because his color is beautiful, but he's not capable of it. At least I won't ever have to clip him and he can let those beautiful feathers grow.
Good job, Brian!

We have a rescue Scarlet that had a hurt wing, we have slowly over the years worked with her to raise her wing and praised her when she had success, she now flaps her wings perched on my arm with a smile on her beak. :dancing:I am constantly working on unique ideas for our flock to play with their toys for their maximum benefit. Throwing their toys with mommy picking it up was short lived. ;) Working on attaching the chew parts (toys) with rope helps here, they like chewing or pushing it around their play gym, ring stand or hanging from their cage. We push the toys around showing them it can be fun first and then they normally follow with play.

Nipping isn’t unusual when our guys feel uncomfortable for any reason. Feeling secure footing is important especially until he is sure of his environment.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
First day with the play stand. He wasn’t impressed. I managed to get him on it twice but he wasn’t sure what to do. It is right next to his cage so he figured out he could just go back to his cage when he wanted to. I caught him furiously flapping his wings. The one doesn’t extend nearly as far as the other but it was good to see him doing it.

Attachments

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
First day with the play stand. He wasn’t impressed. I managed to get him on it twice but he wasn’t sure what to do. It is right next to his cage so he figured out he could just go back to his cage when he wanted to. I caught him furiously flapping his wings. The one doesn’t extend nearly as far as the other but it was good to see him doing it.
Try hanging his kong toy attached to a rope from that top hook and flip it around with him, macaws like play action. Happy that he is flapping his wings.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We may be mistaken about his wings. I caught him flapping yesterday and managed to get it on video. Aside from being clipped, it looks like he's got a good range of motion in his wings. Once those feathers are replaced, he might be able to fly. You can hear the other birds making noise in the background. At the end you can hear him say Shut Up to them.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
His wings are fully extended and just more muscle and respiratory capacity he will be flying. Buffons and Militarys are sort of stealth beauties. They look somewhat plain until they fly and then, WOW, they are gorgeous. Jasper has a bad wing that has arthritis in it, but she loves flying so much that she flies anyway or maybe it doesn't hurt when she flies.
I'd get a washcloth and wave it in front of him and he would grab it and the tug o war was on. It was funny, I would growl at him and when he would growl back he would drop his end and it would make him so mad.

Macaws are such an interactive bird.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He holds his wings in a very odd position when he's on my arms. He may just be insecure. The vet notated that he had stiffness in the joint, but maybe it's just lack of use. I've come to the realization that everything on his surrender form is probably not true. I don't believe he's spent much time out of his cage in the last few years and his cage really isn't big enough for a bird his size. Good for a night cage, but not all day long. There are a lot of things in it and not enough room for him to spread his wings. Now that I leave his cage door open and let him come out on his own, he's starting to move around more and explore. He doesn't care for the play stand, but I put a walnut in one of the dishes and he eventually worked up the courage to get it. He never fully moved onto the stand, but he stretched himself out far enough that he could grab it.

He's already lost one of those clipped feathers and I see him grooming himself. Hopefully, they get replaced over the next year and he can spread those beautiful wings and fly again, or for the first time.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He needs a swing. Macaws love to swing. I'd take the long boing/rope perch out & put a swing in the top middle, with a toy near by one side. My B&G reaches up & gets her swing going so fast her tail goes in & out of her cage. She often yells wow or wee & laughs as she's swinging away. She will put one foot on her swing & one on a near-by toy & swing like that too.

To me it looks like he is extending both wings fine. He may need to build up the muscles a bit, which he is doing by flapping. He should molt out & regrow those clipped flights soon.

I'm going to be honest here....Sorry but I would not have bought that play stand for a macaw. They like to hang sideways, upside down, etc. I have the original Parrot Tower, which sadly is no longer made. There is a knock-off version, but the reviews say they are poor quality, not worth the money. Something like this with a boing added on one side & some large hanging toys would be better: 5 LEVEL CONVERSION GYM (LARGE) Round Black PVC Pan

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like he's designing his own physiotherapy programme! It's great to see him stretch those glorious wings out. I hope he does (re)discover the joy of flight.

@Matto creates PVC playstands - these are the extra-large ones: Large & Extra-Large Bird Stands

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He needs a swing. Macaws love to swing. I'd take the long boing/rope perch out & put a swing in the top middle, with a toy near by one side. My B&G reaches up & gets her swing going so fast her tail goes in & out of her cage. She often yells wow or wee & laughs as she's swinging away. She will put one foot on her swing & one on a near-by toy & swing like that too.

To me it looks like he is extending both wings fine. He may need to build up the muscles a bit, which he is doing by flapping. He should molt out & regrow those clipped flights soon.

I'm going to be honest here....Sorry but I would not have bought that play stand for a macaw. They like to hang sideways, upside down, etc. I have the original Parrot Tower, which sadly is no longer made. There is a knock-off version, but the reviews say they are poor quality, not worth the money. Something like this with a boing added on one side & some large hanging toys would be better: 5 LEVEL CONVERSION GYM (LARGE) Round Black PVC Pan
It's ok. I plan for that cage to be temporary anyway. He was surrendered with the cage, and it looks like he's been in it for a long time. Moving him into a new, larger one will need to be a transition. The play stand was a matter of convenience and space. It was the largest I could get for the space I have, and working at a bird store, I got a hefty discount on it. I have a pair of golden conures that we had originally intended to breed, but that is no longer an option. When they sell, this guy will move to where they are, in front of a large sliding glass door and into a much larger cage. Then I'll be able to add a swing and other things for him. When that happens, this play stand will go into the office for my pet conures. It will give those three brats a bigger space for play.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's ok. I plan for that cage to be temporary anyway. He was surrendered with the cage, and it looks like he's been in it for a long time. Moving him into a new, larger one will need to be a transition. The play stand was a matter of convenience and space. It was the largest I could get for the space I have, and working at a bird store, I got a hefty discount on it. I have a pair of golden conures that we had originally intended to breed, but that is no longer an option. When they sell, this guy will move to where they are, in front of a large sliding glass door and into a much larger cage. Then I'll be able to add a swing and other things for him. When that happens, this play stand will go into the office for my pet conures. It will give those three brats a bigger space for play.
It's great he's flapping & using his wings. I love his slide dancing. He looks great. I don't think you'll need to transition him to a new cage. I would set the new cage up in front of him, telling him what you are doing & let him check it out. Let it set for a day & then move him into it. I'd put the swing in the middle top & the toys in the same places as you have them now with one or two close enough he can grab them from his swing, but not in the way of him swinging. You might consider wrapping the top half of the circle on the playgym with hemp or sisal rope, which will give your birds a bettter grip area. They may be less afraid of it then & use it a lot more.