• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buffon's Macaw

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a chance to adopt a Buffon's macaw. I had mentioned before that I was talking with someone about a pair of scarlets. The more I talked to them the weirder it got. Something wasn't right so I backed away from it.

This bird is 16 years old and has been through 2 homes. The store owner thinks he will be better off as a breeder, and that maybe he isn't fit to be a pet. He was hand-raised by the first owner. I don't know why he was given up. The second owner was clearly afraid of him, and the information she's given us about him seems contrary to how he acts. I've had very positive interactions with him, while the women who work there have not, including one who got a nasty bite. It's obvious that he's nervous and unsure of himself, but I think with some patience and persistence, he will blossom.

Does anyone have a good / bad / ugly on them?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't have a clue about them. It's a shame when people don't understand a bird and it's non-friendly behaviors the first thing they think of is turning it into a breeder. If he was hand raised he may only be suitable for a companion and still suffering the emotional loss of his first owner. Take some photos the next time you visit. Has he let you pick him up?

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here he is sitting on my arm. He's a big boy. I can get him to step up without too much of an issue. There are only two of us that can handle him, but I'm the only one who does anything more than get him in and out of his cage. I stop by his tree several times a day and get him to step up, or offer him a treat. Sometimes I give it to him, and sometimes I make him come to me for it. If I see he's really nervous I just put it down and walk away. That way he can pick it up on his own. If he seems really nervous he goes to the back of the tree away from me, and then I just stand and talk to him. He comes around to where he can see me. I don't ask him to step up at that point, I just talk to him. Twice he stepped up onto my wrist and then went right up my arm to my shoulder. As I don't know him, and he hasn't earned the right to be there I was concerned, but he didn't stay. He went across my back and down my other arm. When I put it next to his tree he stepped off. He pinched me once, and that was only because his tree shifted while he was trying to step off. I didn't take it as a bite, just him trying to steady himself. I think with some patience and reassurance he will gain some self-confidence and settle.

As for him biting someone, I don't really see that as a big concern when you look at how it happened. He was manhandled into a carrier by someone who was afraid of him, then into the store, back into the carrier and to the vet's office where he was handled again. He came back to the store and then had his beak and nails trimmed, as well as a few feathers clipped. (I'm not worried about him being clipped as he never learned to fly due to a broken wing as a chick) When they went to put him back in the cage, he bit someone and they needed stitches. All of that handling in just a few hours, by people he doesn't know, in a strange environment. It's no wonder he bit someone, he was terrified. The person he bit understands all of that because she's been working with birds her whole life.

Attachments

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My B&G Macaw had been abused when I got her at 2 years of age. Previous owners got her at 5 months of age. She had no idea how to step up, because they had no idea how to handle or teach a parrot. I had to teach her. She lunged at her previous owners when I went to see her & the lady backhanded her. I knew right then she was not staying there one more day. It took awhile to get her to trust me & yes I took a few bites, but none were bad, but now I can do anything with her.

The fact that this bird stepped up for you is a big plus. Keep in mind some never let go of all the baggage they carry. Many will imprint on their first owners (the breeder), sex wise. If the first owner was a man they may only take to a man & attack all women. Mine had a female breeder & she hates men with a passion. Not all will do this. Each bird has their own fears.

Macaws are macaws are macaws. They love to be in the middle of everything you do & they love silly. Yep they can be loud, especially during breeding season, but mine is pretty quiet the rest of the time. They like to share meals, help with laundry, dance, sing, go places with you, etc. I took mine to the motorcycle club where she loved to hear the Harley's fire up. She loves Halloween & going to the door to talk & scream at the kids. She loves to run under the Christmas tree & rip open gifts. She likes to go out on the front porch & sit on the railing & watch the world go by. They have a memory like an elephant, which is why some never let go of the bad times they went thru. Given time this bird may turn out to be a very great companion for you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A dream bird. I would take him in a second, if I weren't so darned old. There are so few of these left in the wild that it is a real pity. I've always liked the big boys a lot - guess that's why I had two GWs.

Get him - it's a rare opportunity.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Brian, we have 2 Buffons, they are large and don’t respond any differently than other large macaws. History determines a parrots responses, and time and patience in their new environment will slowly build trust. He needs a loving caring home to relax and enjoy with lot’s of healthy food, toys and play time outside of his cage. You can have a great relationship with him.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He's a beautiful boy Brian. You know birds, you understand the patience it takes and the willingness to work with a fearful bird. If you have the time and the space this boy needs then I would say bring him home... as a companion. And I say that because you do raise birds. I don't think he should be a breeder. He needs a loving human that will give him what he needs emotionally, I think you can do that.:D

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think he does need a loving home and I think I can give him what he needs. I'm not against breeding him for the survival of the species, but I also understand that it's probably not an option for him. As beautiful as some hybrid macaws are, I won't create one myself, certainly not with one like this. Working with macaws for the last 6 months or so, I seem to have magic with some of them, especially the blue & golds. They respond to me where they won't with others I work with. One guy is really good with Greys, and almost all of them want to rip my fingers off.

I'll know more this week. We've got a zoo full of birds here so we're trying to figure out the logistics of how to get the cage home, as well as where the cage will go. I want to avoid any jealousy issues between the conures that are pets and a bigger bird that's going to need a little extra attention. Then there is my cat, who will most likely have the vapors when he sees a bird that big in the house. It's a good thing I work from home most of the time. On the days I work at the bird store, I can bring the big guy with me.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If I see he's really nervous I just put it down and walk away. That way he can pick it up on his own. If he seems really nervous he goes to the back of the tree away from me, and then I just stand and talk to him. He comes around to where he can see me. I don't ask him to step up at that point, I just talk to him.
As you for me seems to be the home he needs I'm begging you to think about this.
Get him home, but only if you are planning to keep him forever.
He is a sensitive bird that deserves a loving forever home.
If you create a bond with him and later give him up, you probably understand how heartbroken he will be and what they do when they are.

I think he is heartbroken now, but as he seems to accept/open up to you he will get over it, but I'm not sure he will do it a second time.

And this post is not a accusation, I don't know you that way. At this moment I'm only thinking about the bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What a beauty he is!
I don’t blame him for biting under the circumstances.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not a cat person, though I admire looking at them... what the heck are 'vapors'?
It's an old, somewhat sexist term for someone who is overly emotional and constantly feeling faint. Odin has issues. He gets frustrated by thing and it builds up until he almost has an emotional breakdown over it. I tell people he's like a pre-teen that's constantly on the verge of hysterics. He's afraid of the birds in the house because Wasabi, one of the blue crown conures bit him. The bird had climbed down to the bottom of the cage stand and the cat walked by him totally oblivious to the fact that a bird was sitting there. His tail went in the bird's face and Wasabi chomped on it. The cat freaked out over it and went running through the house screaming. So I imagine that should he come strolling through the living room and come face to face with a bird that's bigger than he is, he will have a complete meltdown.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's an old, somewhat sexist term for someone who is overly emotional and constantly feeling faint. Odin has issues. He gets frustrated by thing and it builds up until he almost has an emotional breakdown over it. I tell people he's like a pre-teen that's constantly on the verge of hysterics. He's afraid of the birds in the house because Wasabi, one of the blue crown conures bit him. The bird had climbed down to the bottom of the cage stand and the cat walked by him totally oblivious to the fact that a bird was sitting there. His tail went in the bird's face and Wasabi chomped on it. The cat freaked out over it and went running through the house screaming. So I imagine that should he come strolling through the living room and come face to face with a bird that's bigger than he is, he will have a complete meltdown.
Aaaaw... now I feel sad for Odin. Poor guy really will freak out. He needs his own bird safe room with lots of cat toys! :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m at the store this morning to pick up some food. No one had taken him out of the cage so I did. He was difficult and struck me on the arm. He was obviously scared so I gave him a few minutes and tried again. It took a few more tries but I did get him out and on a hanging tree. It’s going to be a slow process.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m at the store this morning to pick up some food. No one had taken him out of the cage so I did. He was difficult and struck me on the arm. He was obviously scared so I gave him a few minutes and tried again. It took a few more tries but I did get him out and on a hanging tree. It’s going to be a slow process.
It took me 6 weeks of daily interaction sessions to get my B&G to step up & not lung or try to bite me. It takes a patient person to get them past it their fears (mine had been abused) & learn to trust you. Short periods of about 10-15 minutes, then walk away & give him a break. Try again & again until he trusts you. Once he steps up take him for a short walk, talking to him, explaining & touching what he sees. Remember to act silly, sing, dance, etc. & reward him for stepping up.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s official. He’s ours. He will stay at the store for a few days until we figure out how to get the cage home. His cage has a play top on it so that’s a good place for him to spend the day. Some familiarity in a strange place. I work from home 4 days a week so I’ll have plenty of time to spend with him as I’m going about my day.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It’s official. He’s ours. He will stay at the store for a few days until we figure out how to get the cage home. His cage has a play top on it so that’s a good place for him to spend the day. Some familiarity in a strange place. I work from home 4 days a week so I’ll have plenty of time to spend with him as I’m going about my day.
AHA!!! I knew it! Congratulations....:dancing: