• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie tricks?!

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Hi!! I’m super curious about teaching my budgie tricks. If you’ve taught your budgies any tricks, please list them here!! Bonus points for pictures and videos :lol:

So far my budgie can only come to me on command and steps up. Pretty good feat though since he’s still a baby

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Target training is really important, and it's the easiest thing you can teach your bird. My budgies also kiss me on command. The kiss is basically just a very gentle nibble on my lip or cheek. We just started working on the spin trick yesterday.

Gigibirds

Well one of my birds refuses to do any fun tricks, but another one of them decided to teach himself how to do somersaults on the ground to get my attention! So I don't reallyyy know how to train them to do things on command, but yes, target training and step-up are the basics, but there are things like giving kisses that come pretty naturally (as long as you give him plenty of kisses :) ) Sorry that this isn't so helpful, but good luck with little Phoenix!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
The youtuber Elleandthebirds has a video or two on training, she's trained all her budgies to do tricks I think.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
The youtuber Elleandthebirds has a video or two on training, she's trained all her budgies to do tricks I think.
Her birds do some really fun tricks, like fetch. I really want to teach my birds how to fetch! That would be so cute.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
Her birds do some really fun tricks, like fetch. I really want to teach my birds how to fetch! That would be so cute.
Parrot Tricks by Diane Grindol and Tani Robar is a great resource. I'd recommend getting a copy--It has helped me a lot and discusses both advanced and simple tricks. The instructions are easy to follow.

As for my own budgies, Peridot and Percy are target-trained, fly to me on command, and Percy is learning how to spin.

Training is a great way to strengthen your bond with your birdie.

Regarding YouTube channels, Flock-Talk has some excellent tutorials, such as ring toss.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Parrot Tricks by Diane Grindol and Tani Robar is a great resource. I'd recommend getting a copy--It has helped me a lot and discusses both advanced and simple tricks. The instructions are easy to follow.
This looks like a really great book. I'll see if I can get it.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Well one of my birds refuses to do any fun tricks, but another one of them decided to teach himself how to do somersaults on the ground to get my attention! So I don't reallyyy know how to train them to do things on command, but yes, target training and step-up are the basics, but there are things like giving kisses that come pretty naturally (as long as you give him plenty of kisses :) ) Sorry that this isn't so helpful, but good luck with little Phoenix!
This amazes me- my little Charlie girl somersaults! I didn’t train her either she is just a little gymnast. She also somersaults off my shoulder into my lap. The hilarious thing is she seems quite a serious bird and will just be standing there solemnly and then suddenly do a somersault. My other budgie has tried to copy her and he gets stuck on his back :heart::lol::rofl:

Anna&Aruan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna Beatriz
I would recomend the youtuber Flock Talk. She has 31 tricks tutorials, and some of them are actually with her budgie, so.. if you want to see actual budgies learning the tricks, shes great.

I teached my tiel Aruan flight recall, stationing, going through a tunnel, spining and waving. I'm also curently working in ring toss (he can fetch but still having some trouble with getting the rings in the stick), laping and high five.
Most of these tricks i just learned (or... well.. he learned) because of her videos, i guess i might take some videos of his tricks later and post here (a friend of mine is also asking for videos of my baby doing tricks haha).
I just wasnt expecting that now that he know tricks he does them, without me asking for them, to see if i will give him some treats. He always kills me when he will just fly straight to our training perch (that actually is a chair) and start waving at me.:swoon::lol:

Last edited:

Bookwyrm

Sprinting down the street
Kaladin can do several tricks, and I'll probably teach him more.
I never taught him to step up, he just does it anyways, as he loves people. He's also target trained, does shake, spins in a circle, and does a flip around the perch, as well as recall (but it's a bit sketchy).
He's also trained me to put his toys back on top of his cage after he throws them off.