• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Perching Question

Is it normal for budgies to perch on two feet

• Total voters

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I've been a budgie owner for a few years now, and it just occurred to me that I've never seen any of them rest on one foot, only two. Is this normal?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Mine rest of one foot sometimes

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My 2 budgies also rest on one foot - but not as often as my tiels - or I just don't see it as often.

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
I've had my male budgie for about 9 months, and I've never seen him rest on one leg either. He's got a variety of perches and is quite active, so I've never worried about it.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
Thanks for the input! I was just curious because I hear a lot of people say that budgies resting on two feet is a sign of illness, but maybe that's just if the bird is known for resting on one foot normally.

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks for the input! I was just curious because I hear a lot of people say that budgies resting on two feet is a sign of illness, but maybe that's just if the bird is known for resting on one foot normally.
I think some birds just have a preference for two feet. My female would do 1 foot sometimes, but not nearly as often as my male. I think it's more of an issue when it's a change from the norm, like you mentioned.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I have had my Budgies for 5 to 6 years, and have had 2 other Budgies before that. My birds spend most of their time perched on two feet, though it isn’t uncommon for them to be standing on one foot. In my experience, they do it often when they’re starting to doze off, but they can be seen doing it other times. The reason they may perch on one foot is to minimize heat loss in their little bare feet. Like when you pull your hands up in to your jacket pockets! Trying to stay warm! :)

Reactions: Jas

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
My budgie does both, but he does spend a lot of time on 2 feet. If he's resting he'll perch on 1.

Reactions: Jas