• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie loves to snuggle in a towel

Stevie

Strolling the yard
Hi, my 3-4 month old Budgie Stevie (not hand reared but so far pretty placid…so far as I am home all day with her everyday!) loves to snuggle in a towel! Just wondering if anyone else budgies or any bird for that matter like to do this? It’s mainly mornings and afternoons that she / he not quite sure yet …(but thinking boy as I feel cere is looking bluish) yesterday she rolled over on her back in the towel so I could rub her belly! Really seems to relax her… she generally sleeps for half hour or so sometimes longer then when she is ready to come out she does! Does anyone think it’s because she is just young or do some birds like this? I have mainly had large parrots in the past and none of them have liked it…this is her current position I just lifted towel for photo she is sound asleep….very active and chirpy otherwise but seems to love towel time! CE8C5D24-E6C9-41AE-8CC2-9FFBFA947FD8.jpeg

Last edited:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Britnicorn has a budgie that was doing something similar.
Would be worth having a read of this article

It's a behaviour that should be discouraged

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix used to do this when he was still being hand-fed (he was like a month old I believe) he would even use my hand as “mom” and want me to press down on him so it was like a mom sitting on him :roflmao: Super cute! But like Wardy said it’s probably harmful to let your baby do it at that age, he could get hormonal :(

Stevie

Strolling the yard
@Britnicorn has a budgie that was doing something similar.
Would be worth having a read of this article

It's a behaviour that should be discouraged
Thanks so much will take a look!!

Stevie

Strolling the yard
Phoenix used to do this when he was still being hand-fed (he was like a month old I believe) he would even use my hand as “mom” and want me to press down on him so it was like a mom sitting on him :roflmao: Super cute! But like Wardy said it’s probably harmful to let your baby do it at that age, he could get hormonal :(
Ok thanks so much for that!!!

Stevie

Strolling the yard
What do you think about the colour of Stevie’s cere? To soon to tell? I was thinking boy in this photo in the towel I took just then…

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Looks like just a young baby. It's probably comforting for him; makes him feel secure for sleeping. I would assume he's still too young to be doing this out of hormones. What do you think @Ripshod?

Stevie

Strolling the yard
Hi, my 3-4 month old Budgie Stevie (not hand reared but so far pretty placid…so far as I am home all day with her everyday!) loves to snuggle in a towel! Just wondering if anyone else budgies or any bird for that matter like to do this? It’s mainly mornings and afternoons that she / he not quite sure yet …(but thinking boy as I feel cere is looking bluish) yesterday she rolled over on her back in the towel so I could rub her belly! Really seems to relax her… she generally sleeps for half hour or so sometimes longer then when she is ready to come out she does! Does anyone think it’s because she is just young or do some birds like this? I have mainly had large parrots in the past and none of them have liked it…this is her current position I just lifted towel for photo she is sound asleep….very active and chirpy otherwise but seems to love towel time! View attachment 392086
What do you think about the colour of Stevie’s cere? To soon to tell? I was thinking boy in this photo in the towel I took just then…
DE580165-1474-458F-8AEF-6D9AC31E0F43.jpeg

Stevie

Strolling the yard
Looks like just a young baby. It's probably comforting for him; makes him feel secure for sleeping. I would assume he's still too young to be doing this out of hormones. What do you think @Ripshod?
Yes I was more worried about hormones later but this might encourage sooner? Reminds me of my young chickens / hens (I have back yard chickens/ chooks) who still love trying to get under Mum even when they are too big hahah

Stevie

Strolling the yard
Yes I was more worried about hormones later but this might encourage sooner? Reminds me of my young chickens / hens (I have back yard chickens/ chooks) who still love trying to get under Mum even when they are too big hahah
Yes she / he is only 3 maybe 4 months old…

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Ertainly looks like a young girl to me.
The belly rubs are something you want to stop before she matures.