• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Foster Family

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
You may have seen my first thread about these little ones here, and thanks to some excellent help from our members (with very special thanks to @finchly) they are no longer living in a box of poop and are hopefully on their ways to long and healthy lives!

In total there are the two parents, two weeks-old chicks, one 2 day old chick, and nine eggs! They were surrendered to a store and I have taken them in to give them a less stressful environment to hatch and grow up. I am vexed with the two most prevalent parenting questions: am I doing this right? And should I be doing more?

The parents are happy and the chicks seem to be doing great. The two older chicks have their eyes open and the youngest is growing larger every day! None of the other eggs have hatched yet. I’m not sure if I should candle them or if I should just leave the nest alone. Likewise I don’t know if I should leave the older chicks as they are or pull them so they don’t crush any other newborn chicks. So far I’ve left them alone and everything has been going well.

I thought I’d document their journey here, here is their progression so far from Sunday-today, Tuesday. The original nest box picture is hard to look at...
8E34EED0-1E34-4CD9-AE14-F7C471C159C6.jpeg 1CA1580D-3575-4978-991A-D7CE34937DC4.jpeg
Monday 8A399D79-F3F1-4B88-A76C-16585436AFE2.jpeg
Today AC9C14ED-C5DB-40C3-8347-29D2EDE3C5C4.jpeg
Mom & Dad 12CF6E13-25C6-459D-929C-1430FB3198CF.jpeg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Doing great, Maggie! You can worry yourself to death about whether you’re doing it right. Just don’t!!! ( I do that too)

Try to enjoy the journey. I look forward to seeing more of them. :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So glad to hear that they are doing well.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Budgie parrent are great parents.
So relax and enjoy this as much as you can. ❤❤❤

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And about that size difference. Watch carefully the little one.
If more eggs hatched, remove the older ones if you are willing to handfeed them.
At the moment I hadn't done anything as the youngest grows every day, and will get heat from the older ones.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I went ahead and candled the eggs, I don’t know if there is a “too late to tell” option but I don’t believe any are viable :sad14: they all appeared dark on one side with an air pocket on the other. No red or veins visible. I put them all back in because the chicks are using them to keep upright and the bigger chicks were moving around making me nervous about the littlest chick.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
You have done such a great job! This is great news. How do you feel about the eggs not being viable Maggie?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
You have done such a great job! This is great news. How do you feel about the eggs not being viable Maggie?
I’m saddened, and I hope that I didn’t cause this. I do know that eggs need to breathe and these eggs are pretty well coated in poop, it could’ve been that or any number of things. I’m happy that the three chicks are alive and thriving. The biggest chick kept trying to climb into my hands which was adorable. Hearing their sweet little peeps is such a cute addition to the music of my bird room, I’m sorry there won’t be more of them joining the chorus.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It´s best not thinking of the how or whys. It´s possible they were early deaths and not at all related to being moved anyway. You have three chicks are seemingly healthy and they are what matters :)

Once you eventually remove the eggs, you could take a minute, think some happy thoughts for them and bury them in the garden, maybe it will help you?

I look forward to seeing the little one grow :hug9:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I missed the first thread
So did I! How wonderful that you were able to take these birds in! The middle one reminds me of TD when he first came to us. He was a bit older at 19 days. Keep the pictures coming!!!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Adorable little chicks :cloud9:

The little guy is growing well :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks so much for the sweet photos of the babies staying nice and cozy. For the parents you know it is much easier to take care of 3 than the full 9. Mother nature knows what is best.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Thanks so much for the sweet photos of the babies staying nice and cozy. For the parents you know it is much easier to take care of 3 than the full 9. Mother nature knows what is best.
I thought of this too. Poor mom has laid so many eggs and they have raised so many chicks, both parents deserve a break. I’m almost relieved that they have an easy clutch to care for this time around.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Are you keeping these parents or will they be rehomed?
If you are going to be finding them a home, maybe you could have it be on the condition of not breeding them anymore.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Are you keeping these parents or will they be rehomed?
If you are going to be finding them a home, maybe you could have it be on the condition of not breeding them anymore.
Technically they all belong to the store, the parents will be sold as a pair and kept together though. I’m trying not to be too worried about their futures, but it’s hard not to be..