• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgies, two clutches, feces-filled nest box

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I was given a surrendered pair of budgies and their nest box which is absolutely full of feces. At least three clutches (per prior owners) were raised in this box and it does not appear to have ever been cleaned. I finally got a look in there and it’s a disaster. I need to know what to do to save the eggs and chicks.

I know the substantial age difference between the day old chick and the older chicks could mean the new baby starves to death and more babies are coming. I can hand feed the older chicks but I don’t want to pull or do anything without some guidance. I have a clean nest box I could transfer the eggs and chick/s into, but I’m afraid of rejection. Please tell me what to do.
8FC07748-3EF3-4829-9AE2-4AB25B7CAC74.jpeg 25CA11EE-F779-4DA7-8A8F-D28C74D1E8E1.jpeg F669374A-738C-43E3-B0EB-AA359918D0BB.jpeg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok that the most disgusting nest box I have ever seen. I'm not sure what to tell you to do. I have one idea, but not sure if it wiil work. JUST MY THOUGHTS HERE. I would purchase another nestbox, taking the largest baby and hand feed it. I would move the day old chick and the eggs and mama into new box early in the morning. That way you can keep a watchful eye to them thru out the day for any signs of rejection. That is just my idea, anybody @finchly

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
It’s so disgusting just looking at the pictures is heartbreaking. So should I pull the biggest baby now or wait until morning to do anything? Is the other older chick still too young to pull for hand feeding? I’m really worried about the littlest chick not getting fed. They were surrendered with 12 fledged babies so the parents definitely do know how to raise chicks. I’m just worried about them..

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I change out nest boxes while there re babies in it. I do it twice during the time they’re in it. I would put some aspen shavings or shredded paper towels in the clean box, move babies quickly, and back off. Try not to look like you’re looking, if that makes sense. Then mom might toss out all you put in so leave a dish of shavings or whatever so she can remake the nest to her liking.

Since the parents are experienced, they are less likley to reject.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m not clear. Why are you wanting to pull the baby for handfeeding?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Thank you @finchly ! If it’s not necessary I don’t want to pull them, my main concern is that mom continues to feed everyone and doesn’t only feed the older chicks and neglect the littlest chick/s. Should I wait until morning to swap out the nest?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Actually I think do it now. It seems like if they sleep on it they tend to forget about things.

I see your point about the little chick(s). Just watch. I usually give morning and evening supplemental feedings to littles but if you feel good pulling some, go ahead.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
OK I have the nest box and dish of bedding prepped, I had a few other questions before I act - the current nest box is inside the cage the one I have I will hang on the outside I need to pull the whole nest box out of the cage and get mom out of the box in order to do this, there’s no way it’s not gonna look like I’m looking too hard.. it’s going to be pretty invasive. Do I just proceed? Can I put both nest boxes on top of the cage and do the swap real quick then attach the new box? Any tips to get mom out of the box safely?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Poor little babies! I´m so glad you were able to bring them home and clean them all up!

I would be concerned about the size difference in the youngest and eldest chicks. It is definitely something to keep in mind.

Tanya @finchly you are amazing :hug2:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That looks MUCH better! If you pull one, what about pulling the little one? So he doesn’t get squished?

@Zara and @Lady Jane thank you for the kind words. I didn’t do anything though; Maggie is the hero here.:)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Then what if another egg hatches?
Would taking the larger birds not be better?
Just a thought.
Yes I did think of that. Since they've been moved around maybe the eggs aren't viable any more? @Beasley do you know?

The older ones would be easier to feed!