• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie diseases??

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
I am babysitting a few buggies until their new owner can pick them up but one looks sickish.

The previous owner said she was originally in a finch cage with another budgie who died and has been sick--ish Since then. So for 8 months.

The lady says she has taken pictures, spoke to vets and they all say if she's eating, drinking and pooping that she should be fine...

I (not experienced bird owner) immediately noticed the bird looks unwell. She has blue-ish feet and beak and almost sores around her head. Definitely feather loss around her head. Both birds Ceres look scabby...any ideas?

I have a conure..is she now at risk?! I am not happy about this experience.‍♀

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Could be mites? Those toe nails are soooo long, probably finds it difficult to perch

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Could be mites? Those toe nails are soooo long, probably finds it difficult to perch
I'm the babysitter...but is there only one kind of mite? How would I start treatment here?

That was my first thought. She seems itchy. There was suppose to be 3 birds, but only 2 came. One obviously isnt well. The other seems well, but scabby cere.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Feather loss? Moulting
Scabby cere? Female hormones (that time of year)
Lethargy? Likely to be boredom/loneliness.

Still need a vet visit. They're not nails, they're talons.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Ok weird, I replied to the thread with the funny formatting. I'll repost here though.

The scabby cere is nothing to worry about, it's totally normal for a hen that is in breeding condition.

Please tell the owner that they need to actually be SEEN by a vet, not just sent pictures. The vet should do a physical exam, a blood test and a fecal gram stain to rule out any illnesses. (And get those toenails clipped too)

In the meantime, make sure that there is no cross contamination between these birds and your conure. Strict quarantine, separate rooms, wash your hands between handling them or feeding them. No sharing toys or food dishes and perches.

I don't see any evidence of mites (at least not scaly face mites) so that's a good sign. Is her breathing laboured? Does she have a pronounced tail bob? How do her poops look?

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Ok weird, I replied to the thread with the funny formatting. I'll repost here though.

The scabby cere is nothing to worry about, it's totally normal for a hen that is in breeding condition.

Please tell the owner that they need to actually be SEEN by a vet, not just sent pictures. The vet should do a physical exam, a blood test and a fecal gram stain to rule out any illnesses. (And get those toenails clipped too)

In the meantime, make sure that there is no cross contamination between these birds and your conure. Strict quarantine, separate rooms, wash your hands between handling them or feeding them. No sharing toys or food dishes and perches.

I don't see any evidence of mites (at least not scaly face mites) so that's a good sign. Is her breathing laboured? Does she have a pronounced tail bob? How do her poops look?

I've literally had them for 10 mins.

She just looks sad.and not well. Hangs her head and just perches. Doesn't play, sing or move much. The lady saying she's been like that for 8 months freaked me out.

What do you mean pronounced tail Bob? Their cage was spotless when they came here. Everytime I go in she with her head down and just looks pathetic. Her eyes look "sad" with is what really made me worry. Just a sad looking little bird.

She has an appointment tomorrow morning with me. I also want to make sure it gets done.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would listen to @PoukieBear. I'm not very familiar with budgies. I will say that that bird looks very ill to me. and needs to go to the vet right now.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle

I've literally had them for 10 mins.

She just looks sad.and not well. Hangs her head and just perches. Doesn't play, sing or move much. The lady saying she's been like that for 8 months freaked me out.

What do you mean pronounced tail Bob? Their cage was spotless when they came here. Everytime I go in she with her head down and just looks pathetic. Her eyes look "sad" with is what really made me worry. Just a sad looking little bird.

She has an appointment tomorrow morning with me. I also want to make sure it gets done.

Awww, that poor little bird.
A huge thank you for taking her to the vet! Is it a specialized avian vet that you are going to?

Tail Bob: When you watch the bird as she's perched, you'll see her tail do a little bit of movement ("bob") to help keep her balance. When the bird has a pronounced or deep tail bob, it's usually an indicator of illness. The best way to see what I'm talking about is to watch a few youtube videos.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
I would listen to @PoukieBear. I'm not very familiar with budgies. I will say that that bird looks very ill to me. and needs to go to the vet right now.
The vets gave me an appointment for tomorrow morning at 8:30. Although I do agree she looks very sad, she has to wait for morning.

I will not be reimbruised for the vet visit I am sure, and can't afford an emergency visit. I'm literally counting nickles for tomorrow visit and bringing in bottles. I'm the babysitter! I will get her to the vet, but I'm limited with vets who have worked on birds and because of funds, I need to make sure the vet knows birds.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
I'm not sure of the tail Bob. A little? Comparing the 2, "Eska the sick bird" does a bit and her tail feathers are a mess.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard

Awww, that poor little bird.
A huge thank you for taking her to the vet! Is it a specialized avian vet that you are going to?

Yes..or at least an exotics vet. Or the other option was to just been seen by the on call vet..which sounds more like a waste of money..

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just wanted to wish you luck tomorrow with the vet visit. You're a sweetheart!

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Eska is sick. Both birds were treated for mites. We go back in 10 days. They were dewormed. And Eska got some antibiotics.

I talked to the new owner and she's ok with them staying until the next mite treatment.. so I get to play nurse for the next week and a half.

Eska was only 33 grams. The vet said she's very thin. And her buddy Sky was 35 grams. AND the vet only charged me for 1 bird. So grateful this visit didnt seem like a waste!

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So good of you to take them. I hope Eska is better soon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that Eska is ill and both birds had mites and needed to be treated. It was very kind of you to take them to the vet and be willing to continue to care for them. Maybe the "owner" should hand them over to you.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm sorry this happened - but the birds are in great hands! So glad you took them to the vet. And I agree with @iamwhoiam , she needs to relinquish the birds to you. ;)

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Yes..I think the option is there for me to keep them. The first lady didn't know. I feel like she tried to do right...everyone told her if Eska is eating, drinking and pooping not to worry it was depression.The second lady didn't seem to know much about birds but she runs a bird rescue...‍♀ or at the least "rescues birds in distress". I don't know if she rehomes them..

I know the bare minimum for Conures but assume they are similar to budgies..and Eska looked ill. When a bird looks ill, you are lucky its alive and needs to see a vet asap..is what I've read.

I'm $200 in on this babysitting job (this is backwards to me) but I should see some improvements and I'm sure Eska will be feeling better quickly.

Once I am certain she is healthy and happy I will talk to the new owner about whether they can stay or not... but possession is 9/10th of the law or something..and the vet bill says they're mine.‍♀ I don't want to bash anyone when I know so little...but her suggestion was "I'd spray her!".‍♀

My good deed is done..and now I'm selling things to make back the money I REALLY needed for myself. It will all come out in the wash. Eska got what she needed and that's worth my money.