• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgie cage size?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
:hello1: and welcome to the Avenue!
Whether you get an English or Australian (American) comes down to preference.
English budgies can have shorter lifespans and in my experience they're 'calmer' then their smaller friends.
You can house English and Aussie together, but you must consider the individual bird. They may not like each other, there's never any guarantee.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
My budgie was a huge biter, still is, accually but he chose my sister as his person so he's hers. He bites all the time. I've never in the 3 months of having Sunni (cockatiel) been bitten. Sunni was hand tame though, so I recommend getting a hand tame budgie if there's the option. Budgies live usually 10-15 years, I assume you'll be still going to school/collage in that time, but maybe not. Just something to consider.

The best ones to get are the parent raised, hand tame ones. When they're parent raised, they know they're birds and when they're hand raised they think they're humans. it can lead to not being able to fly well, be independent, and take care of themselves. You can do training for most of those to improve. The parent raised ones are usually more hands off, not cuddly and very skittish. If they were handled often and positively but still raised by their parents, it's perfect. You also should look for one that was weaned onto pellets, but still seeds and veggies. It can sometimes be hard to convert them.
i plan to go to princeton for college and it is only 45 min from my current home so my parents agreed to let me live with them until i finish college so i don't have too live in dorms, and becuase of that i am able to keep more animals then i would be able if i went to colloge dorms.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
when u got yours did she say they were hand fed and hand tamed?
They were hand fed. They weren't exactly tame, but they weren't terrified of people either. My budgies are already quite tame after only 2 months.