• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

budgie cage size?

birdiecare

Meeting neighbors
YES! That is an awesome cage for two budgies. I'm so glad for them I'm sure they'd love it, it's pretty spacious.

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
It's a great size, but the bar spacing would give me pause. It says .6" bar spacing, and generally you see .5" being recommended as the max. Maybe it's such a small difference that it won't matter, but I know that I, personally, would give that specific cage a pass because of it.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Yeah, the spacing is something to consider... I know there are at least 5 different models of that cage on amazon sold by different people, maybe there's one with smaller bar spacing.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
@DesertBird @annafauna my bird store is selling english budgies for 250 dollars usd and parakeets for 50 dollars also usd, what would u guys recommend getting a english budgie or a parakeet, the store said the english budgies were better but idk if they were just trying to make money or if they are being honest.

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
@DesertBird @annafauna my bird store is selling english budgies for 250 dollars usd and parakeets for 50 dollars also usd, what would u guys recommend getting a english budgie or a parakeet, the store said the english budgies were better but idk if they were just trying to make money or if they are being honest.
English budgies tend to have shorter lifespans compared to the American budgies.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
so what would u go for? @DesertBird ?
The English budgies are a little bigger and usually a little more tame-able because of their size. (as the parrot store tells me)
Screenshot 2021-03-02 at 12.26.01 PM.png
The normal budgies, (american) have longer lives, less expensive, and make just as good pets.
@Lady Jane has English budgies I think.

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
I wonder how they're measuring "better"! :laugh:

Besides English budgies having shorter lifespans, I don't know of any significant difference between the two. I think the Australian/American budgies (the "plain" ones) are so much cuter, but that's just a personal preference. I can't imagine paying $200 more for an English budgie!

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
You can go meet them and see if one of them "speaks to you". Get which ever one you think would be the best fit.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
You can go meet them and see if one of them "speaks to you". Get which ever one you think would be the best fit.
they said the english budgies are more crazy think they are both the same basically so i will go with the regular budgie.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I don't know... I already tagged lady jane, she should know.

annafauna

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Anna
I don't know what the technical answer is, but I would worry about a significant size discrepancy between any two birds. If the bigger one is even a little bit of a bully, that would be bad news for the smaller one.

AlexT303

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Alex Turanskiy
@Sunni Tiel @annafauna @DesertBird @Lady Jane can u recommend any seed diets, and pellet diets and are Kaytee Egg-Cite! Forti-Diet Pro Health Parakeet Bird Food good diets for parakeets along with
Kaytee Forti-Diet Pro Health Bird Greens and Kaytee Fiesta Variety Mix Parakeet Bird Food, and if they are good can i give this food to my budgie every day